“Great Location”

Best Western Hotel De France
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Chinon
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Excellent location in heart of medieval Chinon. Outside square shared with 3 other establishments serving food & small eats. Booked family room which was modern, well equipped with fridge, kettle, toaster, microwave & electric rings. Situated only 50m from the elevator to the Castle.
Breakfast excellent with large choice of cheeses, eggs, jams, hams, juices and Tarte Tatin. Evening meals not available but adjacent restaurant used to be part of Hotel, now owned separately by family member is worth a visit with good choices & excellent value.
Staff friendly & multilingual.
Recommend use of Hotel's own secure parking at 10E per day as locally very expensive & payable by the hour.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WhittonA

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I was there on a biking trip through the Loire, getting into town (the way I was directed) took some doing to find this. Once there, its a great, centrally located spot. Staff was helpful and courteous.

The rooms are dingy and small, but clean. For a one or two night stay in Chinon, not a bad choice

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Located in a small square which has seating for a few restaurants. Parking is onsite and around the back and like most car parking in Europe space is tight. All staff at the hotel were friendly and provided excellent advice on surrounding sites and restaurants and helped with reserving restaurants for dinner.

Our room was on the top floor and with no lift there was a lot of stairs to negotiate but we didn't mind as the view from our room made up for it. We had an excellent view of the chateau that sits above the town, and the square out the front.

Room has all the facilities that we required and though smallish was a step up from the room size in Paris. Bathroom was adequate for our needs. Breakfast was served downstairs and was excellent. WiFi also worked well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Arriving by bike takes a bit of negotiation as the bike parking is via a garage at the back and the first stopping point is in an extremely busy square. However, once this is sorted out the rooms are clean and the receptionists were very helpful. The rooms can seem noisy due to the activity in the square.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel in late May this year (21st, 22nd and 23rd).

The hotel was very good and made very tasteful modern use of an old building without loosing any of its charm. The room was fine, lacked nothing and overlooked the square. We also had a fine view of Henry 2nd's fortress that overlooks the old town. As the building was old and historic there was no lift so older people with mobility problems should take note.

The staff were very helpful and informative, and made us feel very welcome. The only down side was the restaurant. We made an advance reservation and expected to dine in the official restaurant. When we went down to dine, it was clear that the staff were surprised. The restaurant was not really in use and we were ecpected to dine in the bar bistro. We flatly refused, and to be fair they very quickly set up a table for us to dine in the restaurant dining room as we expected. However, we were the only people in it, so it was not very pleasant.

To make matters worse, my steak arrived very, very over cooked, and I had to reject it. I had ordered it saignant (rare) and was was more than well done. To my amazement, I was confronted by either the chef or the manager (I'm not sure which) who proceded to tell in no uncertain terms me that the staek was perfect and I was completely wrong to reject it. He then gave me a lecture on the way to order a steak as though I had never been to France before. he was so wrong, that I thought he might have been an eastern europen part time helper!

I stood my ground, and made it very clear that I knew what I was talking about, and he huffed and puffed, turned on his heel and marched off. Some time later, I was presented with a new steak but no apology. The steak turned out to be full of fat and gristle and was uneatable.

I am retired now but I first went to France in 1968, and I have actually lived and worked in France for the later half of my professional life, so I have had a great deal of experience of restaurants and eating there in general, I would not claim to be an expert, but I know how to order food, and I know how it should be served. To be treated like that was quite a new experience!

Needless to say, we did not eat there for the following two nights, and I had a perfect steak exactly as ordered in one of the very nice restaurants in the old part of the town.

We would stay in the hotel again and we have no problem at all in recommending it. Just don't eat there!

Room Tip: Make it clear if you need assistance as there are no lifts and the stairs are difficult. However, th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tony_de2003
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Highly recommend both this hotel & Chinon itself. The staff are friendly & helpful, the hotel in an excellent situation with plenty of pretty streets to wander, enough to keeep one entertained for several days. However, BE WARNED, at the nearby KITCHEN/DECOR STORE TO BE AVOIDED. English Speakers are treated with suspicion, followed indiscreetly, & insulted. My 70yr old very respectable parents & my 17yr old son were careful off items in the store but non the less followed & eventually the unpleasant female told my son to leave & go to the castle, that he/we were not welcome & not to touch items in the store (which we had done to see prices or check fabrics or what the item in fact was). In fact being interested customers. We saw another respectible couple treated similarly - we highly recommend you avoid the store & its unpleasant owners who are evidently anti English speakers. The store is EXPENSIVE, STAFF RUDE & ADVERSARIAL! STAY AWAY UNLESS YOU ENJOY BEING INSULTED!!! however, the rest of the stores, restaurants & hotels on the square & indeed elsewhere in Chinon are friendly & helpful, especially at Hotel du France.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank aBritinBoulder
Reviewed 25 June 2014

As an interval between many B&B's this was a great find and a great mixture of typical good modest French hotel and American familiarity. An excellent value with the most perfect location. The front desk is manned by several ladies who are very helpful with quite excellent English language skills making it very easy even for those of us with a smattering of French skill.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple