“Nice meal”

Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice meal”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Happened to dine here on vegetarian night and though I do like my meat I am happy to go vegetarian now and then. We were given a number of choices of what we would like to eat and this all came out on one large plate that we shared between us. Quite rustic but I liked it. Overall the food, service and wine were all of a very good quality.

• Visited August 2013

Headcorn, England, United Kingdom
“You will love it or hate it. I loved it.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Having read other reviews I have to say that they do paint a picture of the place, but from their perspective. It is "what you see is what you get". Yes there is a bias to vegetarian food, but some veggie food is very good, although it won't fill you up with fats and protein. Here at La Maison Rouge there are basically two choices: you eat either degustation gourmet local food or you have vegetarian food. Personally thats a choice I am happy with!
And yes the service is a bit slow, but if you speak French you get the full character of the place when exchanging conversation. Its a beautiful building and I enjoyed my degustation choices plus a pichet of the local wine. I loved the menu, my partner was sadly not with me, but she is vegetarian and would have been equally happy. I intend to return with her, we will both enjoy this place.
And why moan? Good food, good wine, relaxed service and a beautiful building in a lovely street/town thats NOT over expensive with no shortage of bread and water can't be moaned at! Why hurry? Why stuff your stomach when your taste buds can get so much pleasure?
It may not be the full gourmet experience and fine dining extravagance but they try hard and deliver very acceptable food for a good price.
But I can appreciate that it will not be to everybodys choice, but it was most suitable to mine!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Martin R
Northampton, England
“Good veggie food in France!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We ate here because I saw that they had a vegetarian plate which looked interesting and that is rare in France. I think they only do set menus but there are a few choices. My husband was a bit scared by the other menu as it has challenging things like eel and tripe on it. However, he had goose pate then duck leg in the end, so it was fine. The food was delicious and very well presented. There were lots of interesting veggies and salad with the duck, which looked fab. The vegetarian plate was lovely: there were 4 little dishes including a yummy veg tart, a tofu and rice thing, polenta and roquefort, a spinachy thing. All were good and there was lots of fresh salad in the middle.
The 13th century building is in a quiet medieval street and is very atmospheric. The toilet is clean and quirky; I loved the old kettle being used as a toilet roll holder.
The service wasn't the fastest ever but fine if you're not in a hurry.
Overall, I think this is a lovely place: really original and memorable.

• Visited August 2013
Paris
“Perhaps the best meal we have ever had”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We happened upon Chinon not by accident but it was an "accident" that brought us to this wonderfully warm and incredibly artistic restaurant! The Caves Plouzeau had just suffered a cave in- really! A bit of the entrance had crashed to the ground just before we arrived. We were still treated wonderfully at the Cav and asked for a recommendation for lunch. We now call La Maison Rouge one of our best "stumble ons" ever. In our "noun only" French, my husband and I communicated just fine with the Lady of the Maison. It appears this is a Chinon "mom&pop"! We were told to order more food than we thought we needed. The meal, accompanied by the local wine was incredible and so inexpensive. It gets better! Madame played the piano beautifully as we finished our lunch - and when we admired the Cubism displayed in several paintings, Madame admitted they were her work. If you are a well-traveled American, you will love this gem of a cafe!

• Visited May 2013
Uralla, Australia
“Still hungry!”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is a dear little restaurant in a C12 beautiful house.Service was pleasant but unfortunately,it was a vegetarian day and the food was very light on.A few little delicious tastes but notenough for a lunch costing E16.We had travelled from Paris to Chinon and needed a much more satisfying meal !

Visited April 2013