“Welcoming, good location”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Chinon
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Welcoming, good location”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Nice big room, really friendly staff . Limited parking and unfortunately restaurant closed so couldn't try that although it looked good.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank rsrj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in Aug. Overall it was okay - nothing to rave about. The room we got was huge but quite run down (not in the historical sense either). The paint on the doors was scraped off, the ceilings were cracked and peeling, the curtains had stains on them and the bath had no curtain so showering was quite the chore if you didn't want to get water all over the bathroom. The deco was a bit bizarre and tacky. The receptionist was very nice and location was great.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We had a deluxe room for 81 euros, simple rooms with a good amount of space. We went with our baby and the cot was in good condition. We ate in the garden resturant which was lovely.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We agree 100% with all those who recommend this 'hotel de charme'. One tiny little detail: the bed (mattress) felt to warm (muggy, sweaty) due to some kind of cover.

• Stayed August 2011
HotelGargantua, Propriétaire at Hostellerie Gargantua, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Ladies and gentlemen,

All the team of the hostellerie Gargantua joins me to thank you for your opinions. Quite your opinions motivating us to continue our efforts and returning the team proud of the accomplished work.
Your remarks are very important, so allowing us to improve our service.
Hertforshire
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The hotel is a beautiful old house in the centre of the old town. The room was old, large and quaint. The staff were very helpful and the restaurant attached to the hotel is very good value. My only negative comment, and this was partially my fault for not taking down the directions on the website, is that the hotel parking is VERY difficult to find and is in fact behind the hotel on the Rue Beaurepaire.

I would recommend this hotel for couples looking to spend a night in chateau style without the accompanying price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Exactly the type of hotel you want for a weekend get-away. Tranquil and still with 5 min walking distance to centre of Chinon. Many good restaurants nearby.
Hotel atmosphere was very laid back and personel service-minded. Hotel is charming and creates the perfect environment with Chinon castle as neighbour.
We stayed two nights in two different (due to late booking) Superior rooms. Both rooms had a nice view, clean and spacious. Highly recommendable!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I've never stayed in a medieval building before. I loved it! My room, the Touquedillon, is not marketed as a room with a view, and rightly so, but you actually can get a glimpse of the Vienne between the buildings across the square--enough for me! When I threw open the window in the morning, I was also greeted with the sight of energetic swallows swooping and diving through the air around the pretty little church to my right. The room was pristinely clean and there were plenty of electrical outlets for me to recharge all the devices we seem to travel with in the modern age. The decor was simple but charming. When I looked waaaay up high I did notice a few holes in the wall, but I don't think I would have even looked up there if I weren't carefully evaluating the room to review it. I didn't think it detracted from the place in any way.

Please don't be a jerk like me and show up at 10:00 p.m. I had somehow failed to notice that the reception here closes at 9:00 p.m. (8:00 on weeknights). The hostess was kind enough to wait for me and I was very grateful.

I think staying in Chinon is preferable to just visiting it during the day--it's one of those tourist towns that's at its prettiest late at night and in the very early morning, when the daytrippers have left or not yet arrived again. I'd definitely stay another night in Chinon, and I'd do it here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo