Hotel Diderot
Le Lion d'Or(Chinon)
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewshomemade jamsgoat cheeseapple juicebreadloire valleyjean pierreowners and staffstar hotelbeautiful hotelsecure parkinglocal producethe ground floorglass of winemain buildingbreakfast rooma real treatcharming town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived late after long delays at the tunnel. Our welcome was warm and charming and we were recommended a perfect local brasserie (the Cafe des Arts) for supper. Our room was pretty and comfortable with a lovely bathroom. The hotel is beautiful, lovely decoration and artefacts. The owners are delightful. Breakfast was delicious with fruit salad, lovely bread and pastries and the extraordinary array of home made jams. Coffee was plentiful and good. One minor niggle: my husband is diabetic and there was little choice other than bread and butter for him. A little ham and cheese, or eggs, would have been welcome. Other than this, a lovely stay. We will return.

Stayed: July 2014
LD4CHINON, General Manager at Hotel Diderot, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Rebecca bonsoir,
I remember your late arrival due to an electrical problem in the tunnel, on the English side !
You have, after a good night then continue your journey to the South.
Do not hesitate to ask me at your next visit that you are diabetic, I can always prepare a little something as I do for allergic to gluten, dairy ...
happy holidays to you!
see you soon

Reviewed 5 July 2014

It is the best hotel in Chinon. I'm not wild about the place but if you're going to Chinon, this is the place you want to stay. Lots of bike-tour groups from the UK stay here. You should probably book early.

Chinon is a great place to visit, very manageable in size. There's a terrific statue of Joan of Arc and a beautiful Park by the river. If you're into the winery thing Chinon is interesting as is the chateau (castle). The city itself has some stunning hills. If you're biking the downhill it is breathtaking, if going uphill you are walking.

The room we had in the Diderot was very well done, comfortable, clean and neat. The bathroom was typically European (which means small for Americans but you get used to it). As I remember, there are two separate buildings in an 'L' shape with a gravel parking area and a small patio. The whole area was very well gardened with plants and flowers. The gates close in the evening, so if driving you want to be sure you're back inside before you get locked out.

Breakfast is interesting. The Diderot is proud of the innumerable jams they have at breakfast and I'm sure I ate more bread than I planned as I sampled and sampled. And sampled some more.

The staff was very professional if not friendly and welcoming. Maybe it's just the difference between Americans and Europeans, I get that. The next hotel we stayed at was professional and welcoming. The Diderot was completely booked, maybe that was part of it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Bonjour cheveux au vent !

Thank you for taking the time to do this very well detailed and nice report.
Yes Chinon is a beautiful city rich in history, nice houses from; 15th 14th 18th ... and a bright band on the banks of the river Vienne, and facing south, just below the Royal Fortress.
Our house is located not far from downtown, where We welcome, many tourists, who come from all over the world and we thank Trpadvisor for that !
I'm sorry if your welcome was just professional, and you have not been received like all our guests.
We will do better next time, to remain as you said the best hotel in Chinon !

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Where to begin? Such a friendly and thoughtful hotel. Saved us from an extra 25km bike ride at our next stop - phew. Comfortable rooms; v accommodating to cyclists (including towels for wiping down wet bikes); picture perfect courtyard. Best of all...the breakfast. Huge basket of local breads; vast variety of home made jams; local walnuts and local goats' cheese drizzled with local honey and washed down with plentiful supplies of fresh coffee. Go for it. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Stayed: June 2014

Bonjour Teech55,
I just not recognize you with your name ! but merci beaucoup !
The hotel Diderot have been a place of rest after a long journey biking and for us it is already a success.
I am proud of my tipycal breakfast which is very French (that's why you come to our country!) with products of exceptional quality that only a few craftsmen can still made, and they do it for us!
Regard to my jams, since many years, it's tradition to prepare, here in our cuisine, combine perfumes of flowers, fruits, and plants together, just for your pleasure.
Once again Merci !
Your jam maker

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was our first holiday in Loire, France and it was made memorable due to our stay at Hotel Diderot. What an incredible and enchanting retreat in Chinon. What makes Hotel Diderot is the family who own this beautiful gem. We were greeted by a very welcoming young lady who escorted us to our over-the-top room! The gorgeous gardens tended to by Lauren,(who is such an positive and hospitable person) is beyond beautiful. The next morning we enjoyed (in the garden) a wonderful breakfast of local goat cheese, served with honey and walnuts. The best of the breakfast are the homemade jams with the truly tasty French bread.
We so enjoyed our stay in Chinon and will never forget Hotel Diderot and Martine, Françoise and Laurent. We will return!
Merci beaucoup et à bientôt.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Bonjour kelso,
As many of our visitors, you have traveled miles to come here in hour home, thinking having a good time.
You have been charmed by the hospitality, my garden and the work of my two sisters, Francoise, Martine and our Collaborators.
Littleton is very far, maybe we never meet again, but I tell you that we sharing wonderful moments with you also.
Thank you very much from everyone here.
Best regards

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here overnight en route from Bergerac to the ferry at Cherbourg. Next time we won't go as far as Bergerac! The location of this lovely hotel is perfect; the welcome was quiet and courteous; the room was comfortable, clean and charmingly decorated, with a view over the garden. The famous breakfast of goats cheese, honey and walnuts (and the wonderful selection of jams), we took on the beautiful terrace. I cannot recommend the Hotel Diderot highly enough

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
LD4CHINON, General Manager at Hotel Diderot, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Chère Maggie,
We are very happy that the next time you do not have to drive as long!
Here in the Loire Valley, you can find your happiness, as architectural culture. historical culture, wine culture with over twenty appellations ... is a little heaven on earth!
Thank you very much !