“An electric experience at the Voltaire”
Review of La Cave Voltaire

La Cave Voltaire
Ranked #9 of 67 Restaurants in Chinon
Price range: US$11 - US$23
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Wine shop and wine bar nice selection of wines and spirits, tastings with local charcuteries and cheeses (9,50 EUR up to 19,50 EUR), in summer some quiches and pies are proposed (5/6 EUR) We speak well english, a bit in german and a lot in french about wines. Open lately during summer 7/7 So be welcome at la cave Voltaire, CHINON Fr.
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This was our third trip to the cafe and just as good as the previous three. I'm not sure whether the latest reviewers ate in the same restaurant as me but the experiences they describe couldn't be further away from those we've had in 2007, 2008, 2011 and now 2013. Each time we've had great food and friendly service even with a dog in tow. The food is local and some of teh salad ingredients grown by the owner himself. The wine selection is excellent too and if you buy from the shop you won't pay more than the producer would charge you - how many places can you say that about?

My advice is go along and try it. You'll be electrified not shocked!

2  Thank Sam A
There are newer reviews for La Cave Voltaire

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We visited La Cave Voltaire recently on our two week stay in France. Having visited the chateau, we came across the bar by accident. We were a family of six adults and a 6 month old child. In trying to pull chairs, tables together and keep the pram off the road, I did not see or hear the owner materialise and speak to me. The first hint was his very rude repetition of what he expected from me ie"Bonjour, Monsieur." I smiled,apologised and said what he obviously wanted me to say. We asked about the menu, ordered and were given an explanation of the food and wine served, all executed in perfect English but without a smile. Even our very cute and well-behaved grandchild did not allow him to crack his face. He appeared equally cool with other English people. Our bill came to some 90 euros and then my husband bought a bottle of wine and beer which would have hiked the bill even further. We enjoyed the food and the wine and I would probably not be writing this had I not been treated to further rudeness. Before we left, I used the toilet and on my way out, said, Au revoir, Monsieur, merci beaucoup!" Nothing! He just blanked me! How many more people have to give negative feedback before he realises there are a whole lot of people out there who would love to share his obvious love of wine if only he were pleasant?!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Well, everything looks good, nice little shop, great wine selection.

It all goes sour when you meet the owner. He knows his stuff about wine, don’t get me wrong. But don’t try to tell him that what he give you to taste, it’ not of your liking. I did, and OMG
He sell you what HE like, not what YOU like, he is not interested on what you like. Simply arrogant, will easily spoiled your day ….. avoid

3  Thank Franckly D
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The owner is a wine nut! You will get a lecture on whatever you order. As a group of wine amateurs we found this interesting, if you just want a glass of wine its a bit full on! There was, however, no room to disagree with the proprietor, which as skilled and experienced wine drinkers we would have liked to engage in a dialogue!
We did`nt eat as we went there late, after a full meal.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I am an award winning wine and food writer who has been living in Touraine, near Chinon, for over twenty years. During that time I have have visited hundreds of restaurants and wine bars -- in the Loire, throughout France, and Europe -- for my books and for articles for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal etc.
I have never met an owner as disagreeable as the owner of this wine bar. If you want to be insulted, yelled at, left waiting while he goes about his personal business, by all means, come here. If you want to feel welcomed and enjoy your wine and food, go anywhere else. You are guaranteed to have an awful time here.

4  Thank Jackie F