“A Great Way to Spend Time on a Sunny Afternoon”
Review of La Cave Voltaire

La Cave Voltaire
Ranked #12 of 68 Restaurants in Chinon
Price range: US$11 - US$24
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Wine shop and wine bar nice selection of wines and spirits, tastings with local charcuteries and cheeses (9,50 EUR up to 19,50 EUR), in summer some quiches and pies are proposed (5/6 EUR) We speak well english, a bit in german and a lot in french about wines. Open lately during summer 7/7 So be welcome at la cave Voltaire, CHINON Fr.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our party of four had a large plate of local cheeses and pates with a couple of glasses of wine each. We were happy with the choices. Patrice, the owner, was friendly, the service good. We'd be back.

1  Thank GinnyE231

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We blundered into La Cave
Voltaire one dreary, wet afternoon after being given the cold shoulder at several establishments professing "service continu" when we said all we wanted was a glass of wine and a snack. The patron, Msr Patrice Claire, sat us down and gave us the tutorial on Chinon wines. These cab franc wines are under appreciated, very affordable and hardly known in our own homeland where French wine means mostly overpriced Bordeaux and Burgundy. Unfortunately, they are difficult for us to come by in Australia as most of the exported Chinon goes to the USA. Patrice obviously is well known to the local producers and proffered a 2008 red from the Lamberts. Enough body, some complexity, just enough tannin and minerality to slide down very easily and a perfect accompaniment to the petite charcuterie assiete. This plate was more than adequate for the three of us and, incidentally, included the best boudin noir I've ever tasted. Our afternoon at La Cave Voltaire was our most pleasant and memorable experience in Chinon. Highly recommended.

3  Thank TalleyrandOz
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This was our third trip to the cafe and just as good as the previous three. I'm not sure whether the latest reviewers ate in the same restaurant as me but the experiences they describe couldn't be further away from those we've had in 2007, 2008, 2011 and now 2013. Each time we've had great food and friendly service even with a dog in tow. The food is local and some of teh salad ingredients grown by the owner himself. The wine selection is excellent too and if you buy from the shop you won't pay more than the producer would charge you - how many places can you say that about?

My advice is go along and try it. You'll be electrified not shocked!

2  Thank Sam A
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We visited La Cave Voltaire recently on our two week stay in France. Having visited the chateau, we came across the bar by accident. We were a family of six adults and a 6 month old child. In trying to pull chairs, tables together and keep the pram off the road, I did not see or hear the owner materialise and speak to me. The first hint was his very rude repetition of what he expected from me ie"Bonjour, Monsieur." I smiled,apologised and said what he obviously wanted me to say. We asked about the menu, ordered and were given an explanation of the food and wine served, all executed in perfect English but without a smile. Even our very cute and well-behaved grandchild did not allow him to crack his face. He appeared equally cool with other English people. Our bill came to some 90 euros and then my husband bought a bottle of wine and beer which would have hiked the bill even further. We enjoyed the food and the wine and I would probably not be writing this had I not been treated to further rudeness. Before we left, I used the toilet and on my way out, said, Au revoir, Monsieur, merci beaucoup!" Nothing! He just blanked me! How many more people have to give negative feedback before he realises there are a whole lot of people out there who would love to share his obvious love of wine if only he were pleasant?!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Well, everything looks good, nice little shop, great wine selection.

It all goes sour when you meet the owner. He knows his stuff about wine, don’t get me wrong. But don’t try to tell him that what he give you to taste, it’ not of your liking. I did, and OMG
He sell you what HE like, not what YOU like, he is not interested on what you like. Simply arrogant, will easily spoiled your day ….. avoid

3  Thank Franckly D