The Royal City of Loches, discovering a treasure that's off the beaten track

Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Loire Valley Time Travel Day Tours
More Info
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 July 2015

We booked a 2 day tour with Susan & Simon in their beautiful vintage car and they went out of their way to plan an itinerary that accommodated what we wanted to see. The wine farms we visited were well planned & they made sure we had a good spread of farms over the two days. Susan was also well informed on the chateaux in the area making the visits all the more interesting - would thoroughly recommend Loire Valley Time Travel.

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank christineT7532SX
Reviewed 14 July 2015

Simon and Susan picked us up at la Maison Jules promptly at 9 am in the beautiful Claudette. After visiting the Chateau Chenocceau for two hours we ventured out for lunch, more local style French food. Also visited and toured the mushroom caves nearby. After travelling around we visited a couple of wineries and had wine and cheese pairing....yum! Simon and Susan were great company for the day and very knowledgeable about this area. We returned to our accommodation around 8 pm after having a most enjoyable day. Couldn't have asked for any better.

Date of experience: July 2015
4  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 9 July 2015

Susan was very helpful when we organised this tour from Australia and gave me lots of useful information and, reading all the wonderful reviews on tripadvisor, I was really looking forward to an amazing day. Sadly, maybe Susan and Simon had a bad day but we really didn’t enjoy the time we spent with them when they were both together. Susan was brilliant when we were with her doing tours through various sites and was very knowledgeable about a wide range of subjects. I was also very pleased that we saw some interesting, lesser-known churches and, again, Susan had some very interesting insights to offer. The visit to the winery was also wonderful – we loved the insight we got into the way a very small producer operated and their sparkling wine was fantastic! But at lunch and when we were driving they spent a lot of time mildly bickering with other which was very disconcerting. I was also disappointed that they hadn’t told me in advance that Azay-le-Rideau was undergoing extensive renovations so was covered in scaffolding – I would have asked to go somewhere else if I had known. Overall, we much preferred our second day in the Loire Valley when we used trains to go to Chenonceau and Amboise. If it had been Susan driving us and showing us around, I would rate this as a 4 or 5 but as it was, I can only give this experience a 3.

Date of experience: June 2015
7  Thank Reviewfromfiona
Reviewed 8 July 2015

This was quite simply the most fantastic two days in the Loire Valley. Susan and Simon picked us up from La Maison Jules - more about this lovely place later, and gave us two days of driving around the Loire valley in their gorgeous 1935 Citroen. They took us to the big sights, Chenonceau, Loches, Azay le Rideau and Villandrey, but also to little places we would never have known about without them, such as this little village covered in roses, just unbelievably beautiful. Not to mention finishing each day at a local winery to taste wines we had not experienced before. All along the way, Susan gave us the benefit of her extensive knowledge of history, the preservation of historic sites, natural history and much much more. Together they gave us two days filled with not only all that I have listed, but also fun and friendship. We felt as though we had known them for years! T,hank you so much to both of you, we loved every minute!

Date of experience: June 2015
3  Thank GGNZ12
Reviewed 25 May 2015 via mobile

I concur with all the positive comments of previous reviewers. Susan and Simon provide a wonderful day tour of key sites in the Loire Valley. Susan is a very special guide. She combines an in-depth knowledge of the places that we visited with a story-teller's gift to make history come alive. The classic Citroen that we toured around in is a really cool car. I highly recommend this tour.

2  Thank JudyZ167