Book In Advance
Tours from Loire Valley Time Travel Day Tours tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Loire Valley Time Travel Day Tours
from US$437.97
More Info
from US$472.55
More Info
All reviews two days loire valley wonderful hosts visiting chateaux susan citroen loches winery vouvray history paris lunch historian rochecorbon wines tasting winemaking
Reviewed 20 May 2016

We just completed 3 days with Susan and Simon. Before I describe the 3 days, allow me to explain the interaction leading up to the trip. My wife and I were traveling to France for a 2 week holiday. We started in Paris, then went to Provence and finished in the Loire. We started working with Susan and Simon at the very early stages of our planning and they were incredibly helpful in helping us all along the way. Whether advice around lodging, tour guides in other locations or, indeed, how best to transport wine back to the US. The communication was prompt, thoughtful and thorough.

We arrived in the Loire and started our 3 day adventure. You've read the other posts about the antique Citroen Traction cars -- so I won't elaborate there other than to say that the car is amazingly comfortable. And, of course, the perfect choice when traveling back into history (although the car is not nearly as old as the Chateaux).

We visited several Chateaux and several wineries. Each winery was family run and family owned. Small production, hand crafted wines in each location. Really special visits and since we speak no French, Susan and Simon were there to translate when the winemaker was lost for a word.

The visits to the Chateaux were fascinating. Susan and Simon are a wealth of knowledge on every subject that we discussed -- from agriculture to history. They really bring life to the stories.

I recommend Susan and Simon without any hesitation whatsoever.

Date of experience: May 2016
4  Thank bmanpennsylvania
Reviewed 16 May 2016

Once in a while you happen upon an event that utterly exceeds all your expectations, and so it was with our day with Simon, Susan, and Claudette. My husband loves classic cars, and I planned this day as a surprise for him. As we walked with Simon and Susan from La Maison Jules my husband noticed the 1956 Citroen Traction Avant, poked me, and said, "Wow. . .look at that car!" Before he knew what was happening we were headed toward it and he was speechless when he realized it was "ours" for the day!

And that was only the beginning of the day. As Simon drove us to our first destination, Loches, we talked about cars, the countryside, and all things French/Australian/American. Susan has a treasure-trove of knowledge and makes French history come alive with stories of real people, intrigue, marriages, mistresses, and architecture. She wove tales in Loches and Chenonceau, and I know I can only remember a fraction, but the feeling remains that these were real people who faced similar situations to us in modern-day life. Lunch at Chedigny was delicious and I wanted to lick the bowl of the creme caramel dessert. Our stop at the winery in Vouvray once again educated me more fully about the wines of this area. I look forward to ordering a case of wine. . .if only I didn't live in Pennsylvania!

If you are considering a trip in this area, don't delay. Book a day with Simon and Susan and one of their luxurious friends, Celestine or Claudette. It will become one for your personal history books as a day you'll long remember.

Date of experience: May 2016
4  Thank LuisadiBeaufort
Reviewed 7 November 2015

Simon and Susan are a husband and wife team from Australia. They live in the Loire Valley in France. We had a two day tour with them out of Tours, France. They picked us up in their 1953 Citroen. What a wonderful car. Simon drove and told us about our surroundings and took us to many out of the way places. We chose the Chateaus ahead of time with their help. We saw beautiful gardens (Villandry)and wonderful chateaus. We had private tours through the Chateaus with Susan. Her knowledge of architecture, history and art, made them come alive. We ate lunch at local french restaurants and they were all excellent. We had so much fun with them, that we felt very sad to part. If you are going to be in the Loire Valley, do book them. You can tailor your trip to what you want to do. We loved them and can't wait to have them show us other areas of this beautiful valley. Well worth it.

Date of experience: October 2015
3  Thank Ruth P
Reviewed 6 October 2015

if your interest is more than just wine then Simon and Susan are just the ticket. Our first visit to the Loire Valley was terrific, a perfect blend of wine, food and history. Cruising around in a '53 Citroen was the cherry on top. Couldn't recommend this couple more, the knowledge they have of the local history coupled with their wine friends made it memorable.

Date of experience: September 2015
3  Thank alan b
Reviewed 3 October 2015

With Simon driving us in the 1953 Citroen, while Susan uncovered layers of history at Loches and Chenonceau--followed by a visit to a winery, whose owner and vigneron demonstrated how soils and climate affect the wines he makes--we had an unforgettable day. We were fascinated to discover the strong women who had influence with Henry VII and those who left their mark on Chenonceau; to learn about the unusual circumstances of Frances I and Charles V coming together at Loches, and the death of Ludovico Sforza, after four years of captivity in the dungeon, which he painted to pass the time as he had learned to from Leonardo da Vinci. I recommend Loire Valley Time Travel to anyone who wants an introduction to the region and for longer in depth trips.

Date of experience: September 2015