“2 days in a fairytale”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$1,458.82*
and up
Langeais, Azay le Rideau, lunch and an award...
Ranked #4 of 8 Food & Drink in Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: We provide custom private tours of the Loire Valley, traveling in our classic French 1953 Citroen Traction Avant, and we try to make a day with us like having a day out with friends. We visit the grand chateau you have always dreamed of seeing, stopping along the way at small overlooked sites that can range from WW2 memorials to ancient ruins and troglodyte caves. We are originally from Australia, and toured the world before settling in France and deciding to share their love of the Loire Valley with visitors. On all of our tours Simon drives the classic cars, while Susan shares her wealth of knowledge about the Loire's history, way of life and natural environment.
Reviewed 28 September 2016

I was in Tours for business and on a whim decided to stay a few extra days to experience this part of the country. In researching the options I came across Simon & Susan. I almost talked myself out of it having never booked a tour like this before, but at the last minute decided to go for it! I am so glad I did. My husband and I saw, heard, smelled, touched and best of all "tasted" the wonderful Loire Valley in a way that most people never have a chance to. It was like walking into a fairytale with castles, cathedrals, bridges, cobblestone roads, markets, farms, gardens and all while riding in a beautiful vintage car and soaking in all of the history from Susan. Some history we knew from books but this was so much more. Simon and Susan are perfect hosts and so good at this! It is so obvious that Susan loves the history and stories that she weaves, they just come alive while you are standing in a castle with her. And Simon is all about the cars, they are his children, my husband loved that!
We have a saying in our family "the things you will always remember are different than the things you will never forget". This experience in the Loire Valley with Simon, Susan and Claudette is an experience we will always remember! Thank you! If you ever get this opportunity just go for it, you won't be disappointed!!

Date of experience: September 2016
"wonderful hosts"
in 3 reviews
"french countryside"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 4 reviews
in 15 reviews
"historian"
"rochecorbon"

Reviewed 25 July 2016

Simon & Susan were wonderful hosts, making our 20th anniversary trip stress-free, full of excellent food and laughter. We especially appreciated Susan's ability to tell the history of the throne in an accessible way that helped us weave together the story of each location with the whole region.

We did two days of touring with them, and we had the added bonus of glimpsing additional vintage cars that were also in the area for an event. What fun! Highly recommended!

Date of experience: July 2016
3  Thank carolsA9542UR
Reviewed 20 May 2016

We just completed 3 days with Susan and Simon. Before I describe the 3 days, allow me to explain the interaction leading up to the trip. My wife and I were traveling to France for a 2 week holiday. We started in Paris, then went to Provence and finished in the Loire. We started working with Susan and Simon at the very early stages of our planning and they were incredibly helpful in helping us all along the way. Whether advice around lodging, tour guides in other locations or, indeed, how best to transport wine back to the US. The communication was prompt, thoughtful and thorough.

We arrived in the Loire and started our 3 day adventure. You've read the other posts about the antique Citroen Traction cars -- so I won't elaborate there other than to say that the car is amazingly comfortable. And, of course, the perfect choice when traveling back into history (although the car is not nearly as old as the Chateaux).

We visited several Chateaux and several wineries. Each winery was family run and family owned. Small production, hand crafted wines in each location. Really special visits and since we speak no French, Susan and Simon were there to translate when the winemaker was lost for a word.

The visits to the Chateaux were fascinating. Susan and Simon are a wealth of knowledge on every subject that we discussed -- from agriculture to history. They really bring life to the stories.

I recommend Susan and Simon without any hesitation whatsoever.

Date of experience: May 2016
4  Thank bmanpennsylvania
Reviewed 16 May 2016

Once in a while you happen upon an event that utterly exceeds all your expectations, and so it was with our day with Simon, Susan, and Claudette. My husband loves classic cars, and I planned this day as a surprise for him. As we walked with Simon and Susan from La Maison Jules my husband noticed the 1956 Citroen Traction Avant, poked me, and said, "Wow. . .look at that car!" Before he knew what was happening we were headed toward it and he was speechless when he realized it was "ours" for the day!

And that was only the beginning of the day. As Simon drove us to our first destination, Loches, we talked about cars, the countryside, and all things French/Australian/American. Susan has a treasure-trove of knowledge and makes French history come alive with stories of real people, intrigue, marriages, mistresses, and architecture. She wove tales in Loches and Chenonceau, and I know I can only remember a fraction, but the feeling remains that these were real people who faced similar situations to us in modern-day life. Lunch at Chedigny was delicious and I wanted to lick the bowl of the creme caramel dessert. Our stop at the winery in Vouvray once again educated me more fully about the wines of this area. I look forward to ordering a case of wine. . .if only I didn't live in Pennsylvania!

If you are considering a trip in this area, don't delay. Book a day with Simon and Susan and one of their luxurious friends, Celestine or Claudette. It will become one for your personal history books as a day you'll long remember.

Date of experience: May 2016
4  Thank LuisadiBeaufort
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 November 2015

Simon and Susan are a husband and wife team from Australia. They live in the Loire Valley in France. We had a two day tour with them out of Tours, France. They picked us up in their 1953 Citroen. What a wonderful car. Simon drove and told us about our surroundings and took us to many out of the way places. We chose the Chateaus ahead of time with their help. We saw beautiful gardens (Villandry)and wonderful chateaus. We had private tours through the Chateaus with Susan. Her knowledge of architecture, history and art, made them come alive. We ate lunch at local french restaurants and they were all excellent. We had so much fun with them, that we felt very sad to part. If you are going to be in the Loire Valley, do book them. You can tailor your trip to what you want to do. We loved them and can't wait to have them show us other areas of this beautiful valley. Well worth it.

Date of experience: October 2015