“A Dream Realised”

Loire Valley Time Travel Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 8 Food & Drink in Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: The owners of Loire Valley Time Travel are originally from Australia, and toured the world before settling in France and deciding to share their love of the Loire Valley with visitors. On all of our tours Simon drives the classic cars, while Susan shares her wealth of knowledge about the Loire's history, way of life and natural environment. We provide custom private tours of the Loire Valley, traveling in our classic French 1953 Citroen Traction Avant, and we try to make a day with us like having a day out with friends. We visit the grand chateau you have always dreamed of seeing, stopping along the way at small overlooked sites that can range from WW2 memorials to ancient ruins and troglodyte caves.
Reviewed 7 June 2017

We had a most fabulous day with Simon, Susan and Celestine. It was a dream come true for me as I have loved this model of Citroen for years and years. The driving was just as important to us as the sights.
Susan's local and historical knowledge and attention to detail in the information she gave us was impressive. We learned so much about French and European history and the food culture of France.
Lunch was casual in a local relais, followed up by wine and cheese tasting and a most fascinating visit to the mushroom caves. The day was well researched, well organised, professional and relaxed and friendly. As we were staying in a pedestrian only area of Tours Simon and Susan walked to meet us, and all communication for booking etc.was efficient and timely. Simon and Susan are a great couple to spend the day with. Simon's love for Celestine is very evident and together they provided a really fabulous experience for us. We have no doubt in recommending this tour. Kindest Regards, Cameron and Pip

2  Thank Pip P
"wealth of information"
"french history"
"delicious lunch"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 4 reviews
"cave"
"hosts"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 30 March 2017

We took a 2-day tour of several chateaus in the Loire Valley with Simon and Susan, and had a wonderful time! They were charming guides with a wealth of information to impart about the history, ecology, and culture of the area. We also had interesting conversations with them about the state of French politics as a whole. Highly recommend this tour to anyone who wishes to learn about medieval French history from knowledgeable history buffs!

2  Thank Harold W
Reviewed 28 March 2017

Tour the Loire Valley in a classy classic car with two delightful hosts Simon and Susan. Susan is a non stop fountain of information on any and every subject which made our tour absolutely fascinating. We spent two lovely days with them and were sad when we had to part. I don't think you could possibly find a better way of exploring the Loire Valley.

1  Thank nitzwilli
Reviewed 10 October 2016

I booked a tour with Lore Valley Time Tours because of the vintage cars they use as my husband is a vintage car enthusiast. I was looking for chateau, wine and history to make the day. I received a beautiful old Citroen driven by the most enthusiastic Aussie ever, an engaging historic tour lead by Susan who is the fountain of all knowledge and a very successful wine sampling experience, oh plus a very happy husband.
The tour itinerary was suggested by Susan which saw us wandering around a food market in Loches, followed by a fortress tour and a lovely lunch. An imposing chateau followed then onto Chateau Gaudrelle between Tour and Vouvray. The owner Alexandre was waiting to give us a personal tour of his caves and then introduced us to most of his delicious wines, accompanied by local cheese and meats. Well we managed to fill the car with cases of wine to take home to England, about 12 I think.
The booking process was swift and easy and all the pre-day info arrived promptly. We managed to keep the car a secret from my husband right up to the last second when he squeaked, "we aren't going in the Light 15 are we?!" Not easy for a 16 stone Glaswegian to squeak! Simon soon corrected him, it was a Heavy 15. Man talk.
Anyway thank you to Susan and Simon for an unforgettable day: we will be back to try the wine further East and hope to see you.

4  Thank MrsP59
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 September 2016

I was in Tours for business and on a whim decided to stay a few extra days to experience this part of the country. In researching the options I came across Simon & Susan. I almost talked myself out of it having never booked a tour like this before, but at the last minute decided to go for it! I am so glad I did. My husband and I saw, heard, smelled, touched and best of all "tasted" the wonderful Loire Valley in a way that most people never have a chance to. It was like walking into a fairytale with castles, cathedrals, bridges, cobblestone roads, markets, farms, gardens and all while riding in a beautiful vintage car and soaking in all of the history from Susan. Some history we knew from books but this was so much more. Simon and Susan are perfect hosts and so good at this! It is so obvious that Susan loves the history and stories that she weaves, they just come alive while you are standing in a castle with her. And Simon is all about the cars, they are his children, my husband loved that!
We have a saying in our family "the things you will always remember are different than the things you will never forget". This experience in the Loire Valley with Simon, Susan and Claudette is an experience we will always remember! Thank you! If you ever get this opportunity just go for it, you won't be disappointed!!

3  Thank Debra C