“Style on a budget”

Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Tours
London
“Style on a budget”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Mondial last week. We booked last minute over the phone and for just €50 we got a big, airy room overlooking the place de la Resistance. It's really central and easy to get to all the main sights.
The room had been updated recently and decor was simple but stylish - seagrass flooring, neutral bedding and curtains. The room was pretty big by French hotel standards which contained a double and a single bed - we weren't charged any extra for it.
Yes there are a couple of flights of stairs and maybe it's a long drag from the station but for that price I'm not complaining. We were driving and there's a car park in the square which is not expensive for an overnight stay. We also did not hear any nightclub noise - maybe that's just at weekends?
The reception staff were very pleasant and we did not experience any rudeness/brusequeness that other reviewers mentioned.
One thing to note though is that the hotel was not manned at night (from 7pm) so late check-ins could be a problem and there may be no-one there to help with problems.
Having travelled a lot in France though, I was really impressed with what I got for €50 here and would definitely recommend it.

• Liked — Simple, styllish decor
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marie19a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

The hotel is quite a walk from the train station if you are carrying your luggages. It's lobby and rooms are on the 4th floor, and there is no elevator in the hotel, which means you'll have to lift all your luggages up those stairs. The hotel and the building it's in are quite old, and the bathroom water pressure's low.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Tours hotels

cambridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

Love dance music? Then come and stay at the Hotel Mondial, Tours! Seriously all night you will be entertained by the nightclub directly behind the hotel downstairs until 6am and the flashing neon lights outside the front of the hotel. This has to be one of the worst night's I have ever experienced in a hotel! When I complained the next day the receptionist made out she didn't know what I was on about (I'am sure they are used to the comments, even though they are not in the buliding overnight)!

I decided not to have breakfast the next day but to have half of my partners coffee that he had at breakfast, (I was actually charged for an extra cup of coffee!!!) The daytime receptionist was rude and you couldn't express any thoughts without her getting angry, I'am serious, not a nice welcome!

The room decor was lovely though but everything else a real disasapointment! Please do not stay if you want any sleep!!!

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank gore32
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2008

We were thoroughly disappointed in this hotel. We have traveled through France and Italy yearly and throughout the world, so we know what to expect from a 2 star hotel. We know rooms and showers will be small and they will furnish the bare necessities. The Mondial was so much less. The rooms themselves were shabby - peeling paint, mold in the shower, old carpet. I could have survived that but for the attitude of the staff. The worst I have experienced in all my time of travel. The girl at the front desk gave me a hard time because I couldn't get the door open (you have to be buzzed in from the 1st floor-European). Kept insisting I had turned the handle rather than pulled (yes she argued with me about it!) then cut me off mid sentence when I tried to explain the problem. She insisted she needed to know if we were going to have breakfast the next day or not (it is a very simple buffet of cereal and crackers. I was so angry after check in I wanted nothing to do with the hotel. Another girl the next day was no friendlier. Very brusque at breakfast and then gave my husband a hard time(truly one of the nicest people on the planet) when we checked out. She made fun of him (in front of other guests) because he didn't produce his card to pay when he returned the keys (we had given our card the day before). He gave her the keys, waited a moment, when she didn't say anything, he said au revioir." She then she got uppity and yelled, "you have to pay you know." He apologized and explained that he thought we had paid already. She snorted and mumbled under her breath. So very rude, I was taken aback. We travel a lot, are of the viewpoint that most people are very kind, some just have a bad day so you let it go. But this attitude from 2 different employees (possibly owners) made us think this is just the way they treat people. Felt like they were fed up with the business and their guests. Wouldn't have been so bad if the place wasn't such a dump. Was in a good location

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude Staff, moldy shower, peeling paint
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry A
CT USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

Our group stayed here for one night on our way to Normandy. We arrived late and the staff person was waiting, very friendly and helpful. The BIG downside is the 2 full flights of steep stairs you have to climb to get to the checkin. Rooms are obviously being redone and are all different and quite cute. Our bathroom had a broken shower. No a/c but they did supply fans. Hallways are drab; breakfast room is very nice & modern.
Parking in front of the hotel is free after certain hours. Otherwise, there is paid parking nearby.

Dinner in the restaurant downstairs (not owned by the hotel) was delicious.
There was a lot of street noise all night.

Decent for a stopover but wouldn't stay here for an extended time

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — steep stairs
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
Bombay, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2007

I read about this hotel in Lonely Planet, and it lived upto my expectations. A cute hotel, with a really great location-it is very close to the shopping areas and the fun part of Tours. One must walk, quite a bit, to the Office of Tourism though. We didn't do any sightseeing so I cannot comment on the proximity to the same.
The Lonely Planet, although, does not mention that one has to walk 2 floors up as there is no elevator.
The breakfast was European-not much to offer but whatever little given was good.
Our room was spacious and very cutely done, but the door to our bathroom was broken, and the pipes (hidden in the cupboard) had left leaking marks. There is no air-conditioning, and it got really hot while we were there, so keep that in mind if you're travelling in summer.
The staff was very friendly and all in all, we were very happy to have stayed here.

• Liked — Location, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Broken bathroom door, No air-conditioning
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelBugN

Secure undercover parking nearby for 9 euros/24 hours
Excellent location close to Place Plumereau
Clean rooms
Bad points-
Three flights of stairs-no lift
Street noise
No parking on the Place itself
Most annoying point-
Extra charge for using a 2nd bed.
We had booked a double room and were given a room filled up with a double and 2 twins. The double bed was accessible from one side only. As I have MS this made for difficult exits during the night for the loo so my hubby slept in one of the singles. This was duly noted and we were charged an extra 10 Euros/night. Not sure what would have happenned if we had slept in the 2 singles!! Tried to argue the point but soon gave up and begrudgingly paid the bill.
We wouldn't stay here again but for people looking for a cheap clean place to stay central to the old part of town and who are fit enough for the stairs it would be fine.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — charge for using 2nd bed
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple