“Hotel du Cygne May'14”

Ranked #65 of 88 Hotels in Tours
New Delhi, India
“Hotel du Cygne May'14”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was a bit apprehensive about choosing Hotel du Cygne, after
reading a few reviews on tripadvisor. I was visiting Tours,
France for a conference, and I was on a tight budget. This was an
official trip, and by the time I had the official approval, rooms
were filling up quite fast. I was lucky to get the budget last room
available, on expedia.co.in. This room turned out to be an attic
room. It was good value for the money, since it was very close to
the conference venue (about a mere 10 minute walk), the Da Vinci
Centre. This was also very close to the Tours railway station.
The hotel is very close to many food joints as well, and very
close to the main street, and some attractions, including the old
Cathedral (whose spires could be seen from my room window!) and
the Town Hall. This is relatively close to the Loire river as
well. The room was well-maintained. It had a small bathroom, with
an enclosed shower counter. Almost every inch of the room was
utilised, including a small part as a cabinet. There was a small
table close to the bed, and under the sloping attic roof. The
room was warmed, which made it quite comfortable in the
relatively cold weather in the beginning of April, 2014. The
couple of Chinese origin were nice and friendly, and the lady was
very helpful. I enjoyed my stay at the hotel immensely!

Room Tip: I think my room had a nice facing position, since the spires of the cathedral were visible clearly
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Tours is an unpretentious little city with a fine cathedral and the best place to stay if visting chateaux by public transport. However this hotel is a disappointment - the Asian owners are unfriendly and the breakfast for 7 euros is just acceptable with the coffee served in a open jug so it is soon cold. Street noise is a problem in the early hours with people leaving the many bars and restaurants in the area. Do stay in Tours but not at this hotel! .

Room Tip: Avoid Room 6 - the radiator is on all year!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2013

What a shocker. We booked a Loire river cycling tour via Bicyclette-Verte and they put us here for our first night. This is by far the worst place i have ever stayed in. I found myself repeatedly wondering about the chain of events/thoughts that lead the owners into this business because they sure hell do not seem to care the slightest about their hotel and showed zero hospitality.
The reception is dark and depressing and feels like a time warp to the 70s. Our room was small and dirty with a stench that only a place that has been under-ventilated for years possesses. And the bathrom smelt like an unhygienic man's body odour despite our repeated attempts to air it out and spray deoderant.
The only positive i could find about this place is its good location, but then again there are other better hotels in the vicinity.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nofoetus
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Not glitzy and designer but simple, clean and more than adequate - everything needed for a quiet, affordable stay in a wonderful location. View of Cathedral from my third floor room (climbing stairs is necessary). Run by a friendly, helpful and incredibly hardworking family who were always on hand if needed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in July. It is an easy 10 min. walk from the train station and tourist info. The best thing about the hotel is the fact that it is just around the corner from a street with many eating establishments.I found I did have a lot of street noise from a nearby restaurant but that was because I had to sleep with the window open due to the heat. Bring earplugs.
I was disappointed with the hotel.. it reminded me of some inexpensive hostels that I have stayed at in the past.... tolerable but not really comfortable.
I was given a room on the third floor...the steep spiral staircase was a surprise. Very difficult for me to hoist luggage up as I have knee problem and there is no lift . I was given a tiny room... think university dorm size . Small single bed ( uncomfortable), thin pillow, sheet and heavy bedspread ( not a duvet whose cover is changed between guests), no ac ( it was a heat wave while I was there and my window opened onto a inner staircase. Opened only a fraction but not enough to let any airflow). Wifi was available in room. TV only had French lang. stations.Hallways were dark and creaky. The Asian couple who manage the place speak minimal English and their French is heavily accented and difficult to understand... and I speak French.
I did have the breakfast each day. It was okay... 7 euro and you had a self service bar with yogurt, cheese, juice. The host served you a basket with 2 pieces of baguette and coffee.
If you are on a really tight budget, you might be okay with a night or two here. Just expect it to be basic and spartan. As for cleanliness, my bathroom was okay... I just did not like the indoor outdoor type carpet which I would imagine would be difficult to truly clean and the heavy bedspead that I know was not fresh.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank nutmeg06
southport
Reviewed 26 August 2013

the hotel is ideally situated to see Tours. We stayed two nights and the hotel is functional and quirky.On arrival,having booked through booking .com,we were checked in with a minimum of fuss and although arrived hours before the published check in time we were given our room key.Not much english spoken but then we are in france and my french is not good but we managed.Room
does what it says and is ideal to get your rest in,tidy and self contained on the 3rd floor.The stair case reminds me of the crazy house at the fair,round and round spiral and after 3 floors tiring but you get used to it.The people who run the hotel were very pleasant and offered advice when asked.This hotel is ideal for budget concious people and its location is a winner

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed only one night there during visiting Loire Valley. It is a budget hotel but is should be clean at least. There is no word for the shower how terrible it was. I was in a shock and I did not dare to use it with my 4 years old. Apart of these the biggest shock was when we were checking out. The Eastern Asian manged hotel receptionist could not understand a word in English and or pretended and they charged my credit card without my knowledge!!! Absolutely unacceptable!!! This hotel was a real joke. Not recommended at all.

Room Tip: please do not go
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family