“Mediocre at best”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
London
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Maybe they had an off night the evening we went, but the food was mediocre at best, downright lazy at worst. A variation on a smoked salmon roulade with shrimp as a starter, dressed with a sweet chile sauce which could only have come out of a bottle, was warm and almost tasteless despite being advertised as having mango in it. I confess I ate mine as I was starving, but my wife left hers. And then the main dishes, oh dear. Shrimp on a skewer, two skewers five shrimps each lightly done on the grill, with a tiny portion of pasta and that bottled sweet chile sauce, €25. I had 2 sea bass fillets carelessly stacked on top of each other garnished with a meaningless grey mini-shrimp buttery sauce and rice. What saved the night was a fabulous bottle and a half of Chablis, and two excellent desserts. As I said at the beginning, maybe they had a bad night but this was supremely indifferent cooking, which coming from the heart of the champagne region was even more disappointing.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank jeremyfd

Poznan, Poland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasant lunch”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Champagne by the glass is not the best but the bistro serves good food with friendly staff. My experience was good overall.

Visited January 2014
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable Surprise”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We'd heard that this was a good place from friends - and stumbled upon it one night wandering Epernay - Popped in, easy to get a table. Initially looking at menu, there didn't seem like lots of options (based in english translation) however we were both more than happy with our mains and desserts. Both mains came with a side that were not listed that complimented the dish - lovely wine. Fast, friendly service. Wait staff spoke some English which matched our little French. Warm, inviting atmosphere - we were seated by the fire!

• Visited January 2014
Savannah, Georgia
“Not as good as we expected.”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We dined at this restaurant because the chef's other restaurant had a Michelin star. We expected some really great food, and were sadly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the food wasn't all bad, but it was not exceptional the night we dined there.

The crab starter was fine. The thin strings of apple and spicy avocado mixture went well with the crab, but the flavors were a little bland. I had the pork foot, and my wife had the cod for the main. The pork foot didn't taste bad, but the portion was essentially a pile of bones, skin, and fat with very little edible meat. Maybe this is the way pork foot/knuckle is served locally...I don't know...but it wasn't very satisfying. My wife's cod was fine; but once again, not really Michelin class food.

The wine list was very good, and the service was excellent. The ambience was also very suitable. The price would have been acceptable if the food had been up to par. There's potential here, but perhaps we caught them on a bad day.

• Visited December 2013
Ghent, Belgium
“Very tastefull,”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Very good restaurant. Value worth. This is more a brasserie than a restaurant. The bistrot is part of the hotel les berceaux, and has the Same roots as restaurant les berceaux , but is has not the Same food. Eating in bistrot 7 is excellent for a ratter quick diner, in a good looking place, but imossible to spend an evening there because it is to crowded. I took kidneys who where prepared in a succulent way, rose and very tender. For those who like kidneys I would surely recommend.

Visited November 2013