“Friendly and quiet with wonderful character”
Review of Le Clos Raymi

and 1 more site!
Le Clos Raymi
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Epernay
Reviewed 10 November 2007

First impressions - situation: A little tucked away, which means you get secure parking at no cost, and only 5-10 minutes walk to cafes and bars and the champagne houses.

Warm relaxed welcome on arrival, and immediately drawn to the personal touches of unique and quite striking art and decorative pieces throughtout the public areas and in my room. This was most welcomingly not a typical hotel experience but more of an intriguing and elaborate B&B without the feeling you are intruding on someone else's space.

My room was of a reasonable size, simple and most tastefully decorated
to give a cheerful homely feel to it, coming well supplied with lovely
l'occataine product.

Breakfast was a very good selection including a cooked breakfast and worth the extra cost.

Dinner recommendation seems to be a forte at Le Clos Raymi - we were thrilled with our dinner and service at La Table Kobus.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank StefAuckland

Reviewed 17 September 2007

Small, family run hotel close to the Champagne houses. Friendly staff, secure parking, and good breakfast. Our room was small but modern and well equipped, and good value for Epernay.

A word of warning that Epernay has several highly respected restaurants and bistros, but they're not easy to find, and you should plan to book in advance. Apart from the champagne houses, Epernay is a little disappointing; it's not especially picturesque for example.

If you want to stay in Epernay, I'd highly recommend the Clos Raymi, but I'd give serious consideration to staying elsewhere in the region and just calling into the town for tours of the Champagne houses.

• Stayed: September 2007
5  Thank Windsor_Pete
Reviewed 15 September 2007

Really nice, clean rooms. Location within a 5-min stroll to the centre of Epernay (not a very big town and easily walkable). Parking available on site behind locked gates. We booked via email on recommendation and responses received in English. However, a bit of French would have been helpful during our stay especially when the credit card machine wouldn't accept our credit card! Thankfully an ATM wasn't too far from the hotel...nor was the Dom Perignon champagne house.

Highly recommend dining at Le Chapon Fin (2, place Mendes France)!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Belugas
Reviewed 10 September 2007

The hotel itself was ok but WAY overpriced. Nothing special and nothing like the website makes it look. I possibly would have paid 50 Euro, not 150!

The location was dodgy with nothing to offer. The room was really small and uncomfortable.

The breakfast was very basic. We checked out after eating some stale pastries, and only as the taxi arrived did we see some other guests being served eggs. I guess we should has asked or just waited longer or something. nope, I wouldn't stay here again.

The most disappointing thing was the actual town of Epernay. Serious, don't bother!
The main road with all the champaign houses on was all pulled up and impossible to get down.
Moet and Chandon had a nice tour of the caves and a GREAT host. This guy was the best tour presenter ever! But everything else was closed. The perrier Jouet doesn't allow visitors as with most of the others houses. In fact only 3 houses do. Mercier was like a disney ride but ok to visit.
I don't even remember the other place, it was really terrible.
The town had NO good restaurants and nothing to do. We hunted for about 3 hours and ended up eating pizza.

This is a place to stop for a quick visit of Moet & Chandon, then carry on to somewhere better.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank riprod
Reviewed 7 September 2007

I have just been viewing hotels in the champagne area on Trip Advisor and was amazed at how well this place was reviewed. Although my stay was in 2006 I just had to write in with my own observations. At the time of my stay I provided this feedback to the writers of the guide book who had recommended it.

I travelled with a group of friends and booked several rooms. On reflection I should have seen it coming, as one of my golden rules is only to deal with hotels that give exemplary service with reservations. For this reason alone I prefer to deal direct rather than via an agent, in order to get a feel for the establishment. After all if you cannot give good service when trying to tempt a guest to stay, what hope is there with delivery? The email correspondence was curt and I was surprised given that I was booking a number of rooms. I have only myself to blame as I broke my own golden rule.

The location is dubious, we took a wrong turn and ended up not using the directions on the web site and passed the less than salubrious properties further along the street. I clocked the security gates, hmm impressive system must mean there are a few issues around here, why else this much investment in security. On arrival the welcome from madam was cold, bordering on glacial, no induction, no showing you to your room, just here is the key off you go. Several of us spoke basic to intermediate French so the language barrier was no excuse. There was no help with the luggage so we had to lug it up the, admittedly beautiful but nevertheless long, stair case. The rooms needed a refurbishment, especially the bathroom area, which in our room was open plan with the bedroom. The shower could have been cleaner and I just had a feeling about the bath robes so left them alone. I was disappointed. We had left a fantastic place of similar size and budget (recommended bye the same guidebook) and had the greatest time, been made to feel exceptionally welcome by a thoughtful and attentive host, and for this. Clearly employing some staff would help as there was no sign of any apart from a harassed young lady who seemed to be constantly at madam’s beck and call.

Later that evening i.e. around 11.30, on return from dinner at the local Michelin starred restaurant, we found the impressive security gates shut and there was no answer on the intercom and no key. Fortunately, one of our party was intelligent enough to figure out that the redundant item on the key ring was not redundant at all and we did manage to get in after ten minutes in the street panicking. But why no induction on this from madam, when matters were clearly not obvious? After all she had booked the taxi and knew we would be returning after lock down. Also it’s worth noting that the front door is always kept locked so you have to be buzzed in each and every time you cross the threshold.

The next morning following a disappointing and over priced breakfast (was that a supermarket croissant I saw before me), I was pinned down by madam and held to account for three misdemeanours. As my French is not up to a rapid fire dressing down (to put it politely), I had to listen three times too. First in French, then in French again as I was obviously too stupid, rather than shocked and lost for words, to get it and then the poor embarrassed assistant was made to translate it in to English.

Firstly, we had left the lights on in the downstairs salon and communal areas when we went to bed! Can you believe it? Have you ever stayed in a hotel and been heckled for not switching the lights off when you go to bed? A b+b yes off course, but a hotel, come on. How did we know that the other guests had all gone to bed in any case, it wasn’t that late?

Secondly, we had drunk all the complimentary brandy left in the lounge. Now you know the stuff that hotels leave out on a complimentary basis, its never high end, its bargain basement and its just there as a gesture. There was only a small amount (less than an eighth of a bottle) left in the decanter and after the gate panic a few, not all, of our group needed a settler before retiring. As it turned out, the other guests had evidently all gone to bed, so we almost certainly didn’t deprive anybody else. Then again they may well have drunk the other 7/8ths beforehand! In a hotel you usually expect a staff member to manage this sort of thing. Here you get a punitive charge on your bill. So no, not complimentary then and just as expensive as the real deal at the Michelin restaurant.

Finally, where was one of my friends, he had absconded without paying his bill and I was to find him and bring him back immediately or else! He was in his room packing as it turned out, so how madam had any justification for this outrageous slur is beyond me. This was the final straw.

Yes, Clos Raymi is beautiful, in a tired sort of way, but madam doesn’t appear eager to welcome guests. No, I won’t be going back. Yes, we all have off days. Though what this hotel really needs is some staff. I would suggest there is more to running a hotel than simply acquiring an attractive town house and stuffing it with a few antiques. Being cold, rude and aggressive towards guests is simply inexcusable.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
9  Thank Trip-fanatic
Reviewed 20 April 2007

Great little hotel in beautiful old house. Very romantic feel. Lovely, tasteful decor, all modern amenities. We stayed in Cosy room, as it was the only available one, we were warned it was small and had twin beds, but it was fine and is cheaper than other rooms. On our check out we peeked into the other rooms and they are great size and lovely decor. Great breakfast. There is no restaurant but if you ask they will give you some great recomendations. Perfect location to get into town and get to the champagne houses! Would stay again but would prefer to pay bit more for one of the larger rooms

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KM26
Reviewed 18 April 2007

My wife and I stayed here August 2006 and will definitely do so again when we next visit Champagne. For us, it was the perfect little French hotel. Quirky mix of modern art and antiques, washboard floors, high ceilings, crisp white linen and you can even hear Moet et Chandon's bottling in the morning! So often we are disappointed by French hotels (l'Assiette Champenoise was an awful 5*), but this surpassed all expectations. Someone has mentioned the breakfast being limited. Yes it is but the croissants and pain au raisin and pain au chocolat are home cooked and gorgeous! This is a perfect base for exploring Epernay and both the Cote des Blancs (Avize, Chouilly, Cramant, Le Mesnil-sur-Oger and Vertus etc) and the Montagne de Reims (Ambonnay, Ay, Bouzy, Chigny-les-Roses, Mailly-Champagne, Mareuil-sur-Ay, Rilly-la-Montagne and Vertus etc).

Parfait!

Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank ChampagneLovers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Epernay
Hotel Jean Moet
Hotel Ibis Epernay Centre Ville
Auberge Champenoise
Auberge Champenoise
#11 of 14 in Epernay

Been to Le Clos Raymi? Share your experiences!