“70s style that is not that stylish”

Auberge Champenoise
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Epernay
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Well probably the most humourous place I stayed at but for mostly the wrong reasons! A sense of humour was needed as this a busy low cost hotel that has been added onto and onto and onto, different floors with different levels etc - was rather like a Scouts camp with carpet. The welcome was great the staff were fine but my room was musty and so old school I thought my granny had been there. Luckily the windows actually opened and I kept them open for a few hours to air out the place. It was obvious my room was once a much larger cupboard but nothing a piece of MDF panel can't turn into two even more risible rooms. The shower was in an even smaller cupboard along with the toilet, so I had to laugh it was like showering in a boat cabin but even smaller. However its saving grace was the water pressure - stunning and certainly after that I knew I was alive. But it was only a bed for the night and after many glasses of champagne in Epernay I actually didn't even notice where I was staying in the end. Didn't do the breakfast as I couldn't actually see or talk very well but went back into town to find a coffee that I could stand my teaspoon up in.
This is a hotel for families on a budget, catering to the expat English market. No real interest to ever stay there again...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MarciaOz

Reviewed 21 November 2012

We chose the hotel as it was the closest, reasonably priced hotel near to a wine tasting we were going to.
Someone with a strange taste in lurid colours has been put in charge of he design and the shower room in the room we had was poor, like a plastic capsule, but it was cheap and clean and where we needed to be.
The evening menu promised much but was poorly executed although breakfasts were good, lots of choice and fresh fruit.
We decided we would stay here again, simply because of the price and location .

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LizLamport
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Excellent service, great buffet breakfast (in addition to the cost of the room),
perfect location close to the center of Epernay with Champagne cellars close
to the hotel.
Rooms are small but convenient, with shower (in the two rooms I had),
TV, hot beverages, often separate toilets in the room in addition to bathroom space, etc.
Very quiet spot.
I recommend the place for singles, families and even busses (great free parking available !).
Free wi-fi too ! Seems to be family owned but certainly friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms are small but No 21 is larger (further out of the way). # 1 and 50 are smaller but very confo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Our second stay at this auberge confirmed our first experience. We looked for a convenient place to stay on a champagne tour, leaving enough cash to purchase one or two cases of bubbles. There appears to be a no-nonsense appraoch to running this business on part of the owners: we charge you a pretty low price for your stay and in return you will get exactly what you paid for, nothing more.
The rooms are dated and pretty basic, considering the three-starred status. Creaking matresses, jumpy showerheads, noises from rooms and corridors, limited space, but on the other hand you are provided with a clean place to sleep, a convenient location for Epernay and champagne houses. Parking space is off-road and amply provided for (even with a closed-off area), buffet breakfast is OK and reasonably priced at 8 Euros. Reception and checkout were pretty efficient on both visits, although they did not manage to send the fax message we paid for on our first visit.
The restaurant provided us with reasonably priced meals on both visits, although waits between courses were long and the room is noisy.

Room Tip: Rooms on the car park side could suffer from noisy drinkers. Second floor rooms should probably be a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grifre
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Stayed here as a stopover on route to the Alps, and used to explore Epernay. The rooms are relatively basic, with double and bunk bed in the one room. Bathroom was fairly ordinary and shower did not point straight, so much went on the floor! The hotel staff are friendly enough, although we really didn't need to use them much. Didn't try the hotel restaurant. The parkling is fine and the hotel is easy enough to get to, and use as a base to explore the Champagne region. For the price, it was fair but not above average.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Rooms were very good, clean and cosy. One dinner at night was NOT GOOD attall. Looked liek we were in a different hotel. Overcooked meatstew, horrible sauce and not friendly at the tables. Well, only one bad memory. I will go back to sleep, not to eat!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Konijntje1
Reviewed 7 October 2011

A group of us stayed here as part of a hiking weekend. Two members of the group scouted the hotel earlier in the year, stayed there, and ate there.

When we checked in, they put us in rooms across the street--which were not what our recon team had scouted.

That said, the rooms themselves were ok. Fine for the money. Weird, old bathroom. But plenty of extra pillows (we were two in what was really a triple room). We were on the street side, however, and the noise, especially early on Saturday morning (deliveries, banging doors, motorcycles) was unpleasant. The red, neon TABAK sign flashed in my eyes all night. The second night we sacrificed fresh air and kept the windows closed, and it was much quieter. Our colleagues on the back side had no such misfortunes.

The restaurant was a pleasant experience. We pre-ordered when we booked, so dinner was nice. The service was fine.

Breakfast was disappointing . . . there was one of those machines for boiling an egg, but it wasn't turned on, so I skipped that. The scrambled eggs looked completely uncooked. The pastries were uninspired. That said, one of the waitresses came around and refilled our coffee cups--something I have NEVER seen outside the US.

The hotel prepared sandwiches for us to take on our hikes. They were WONDERFUL! We each got two sandwiches (one brie and one ham), chips, and a piece of fruit for 8EUR, and the sandwiches were BIG and inspired.

Also, the hotel recommended and booked a champagne tasting at the nearby Le Comte et Fils, and this was also nice.

I wouldn't take my husband there for a romantic weekend, but for our purposes, it was decent value for the money. Every downside had an upside.

Your mileage may vary.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the street.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends