“Nice experience watch the extras”
Review of La Villa Eugene

La Villa Eugene
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Epernay
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here in March in a Superior room on the first floor, at this time of the year there was a discount .The room was spacious with a good bathroom and toiletries , the A/C heating seemed a bit tempremental requiring an opening of the windows where there was traffic noise but not a big issue .The staff were attentive and pleasant , breakfast is expensive at 17 euro each for a buffet, again good service ,but this high add on for breakfast in french hotels is annoying ,to me at least .We took breakfast outside at half the price , one other thing we booked three restauarants in Epernay for the three nights , the recepcionist Caroline was most helpful with respect to advice on the restaurants we had chosen and if you stay here go with their recomendations . Two machine hot chocolates were 9 Euro , Overall a pleasant stay , quite believe the best in Epernay and a short walk to town and or the Champagne Houses ,not quite worth 5.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a lovely little hotel. And it is almost perfect for a road trip, especially with the secure parking. Situated in the original house of the founder of Mercier champagne, it has been carefully re-crafted into a boutique experience, a very well done mixture of old and new, which I wish could have been taken a few steps further, but more about that later.
The service was extremely attentive, nothing was too much trouble, we had a restaurant and taxi booked for us in a flash as we checked in. The room was a double deluxe, quite expensive but better with the special web site offer, but very well done, light, airy and spotlessly clean, everything perfect and in its place. The bathroom was large, and the design was excellent with separate walk-in shower and stand-alone bathtub. While waiting for our taxi we had a glass of champagne in the cosy little bar, interestingly situated outside the main entrance next to the car park. There's a pool on the edge of the house nestled in the gardens.
Breakfast is in a charming room near the pool, and again everything was as it should be, not overly luxurious but good.
So what's missing? First, the location is next to a fairly busy road, a good walk from the exquisite Avenue de Champagne and its glorious champagne house HQ's. Across the road is what looks like a industrial site, so while on the one hand you have the luxury of the hotel itself, its location visually is a little bit of a let down. Next, no restaurant, what a shame. I bet if they put the same effort into a restaurant as they do in the hotel itself, it would be great. But as an extremely pleasant place to rest your head visiting Epernay, it works. As a road trip stop, if you're not too tired to take a 2 minute taxi ride into Epernay, then that works as well. And yes it did pass the mould in the bathroom test, everything was pristine. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Spend the money and get a bigger room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeremyfd
Reviewed 16 March 2014

An elegant villa very conveniently situated on the Avenue de Champagne with secure, off-street parking. The staff were charming and welcoming. Originally the home of the Mercier champagne family, the house has been beautifully restored. Breakfast was served in the light-filled garden room. Freshly prepared eggs any which way were on offer but we were more than content with the home-made yogurt, fresh juice and THE most delicious french bread and croissants. My only regret is that we booked a standard room. Whilst spacious and comfortable enough (except for the bouncy pillows), it was on the third floor with high windows. My advice is to stretch the budget and book a room on the second floor.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my fiance in the winter. We found everything much to our satisfaction.
The staff were extremely helpful and very pleasant.
The room was large airy and extremely clean with good facilities.
The only thing it lacked was tea and coffee making facilities although coffee from room service was three euros so not too much of an issue.
Our bathroom was again large and airy. It had an enormous bath which my fiance enjoyed. The shower was acceptable although it was just an over bath shower and therefore not as good as some.
Parking outside the front of the hotel was free and despite the car park being almost full when we got there the staff managed to make us another space!
The location is fairly good although it is about 10 to 15 minute walk to the centre of Epernay and doing this three times in the day was a little tiring!
The view from my window was okay but you do look straight into a recycling yard by the railway tracks, as long as you look up (and see the hills behind with the champagne vines behind this) its fine! Our room was on the third floor at the front of the hotel so perhaps try to get a room at the back.
Overall very nice hotel thoroughly recommended.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pipehitter
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I was so excited to stay in Epernay and my fiance who is French was making sure I had 5 star treatments in every turn, but it was a disappointment when compared to other 5 stars or even 3 stars that I have been in. First we had to pay for an upgrade for another room which we had booked well in advance,but took that in stride but it was really nothing special except the bed which was very cosy. The staffs were not very friendly and you could feel you were a liability to them if you asked any question. The breakfast room was nice enough but the atmosphere was so bland that I would have rather stayed at a bed and breakfast than to pay such a high price for such a low service. I will be back in Epernay but not in this hotel.

Room Tip: Just make sure your room you booked for is what you get
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed only one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. After reading the TA reviews we felt this would be a romantic setting for us to stay. Upon arrival it is clear this is a stunning Villa with beautifully landscaped gardens and a lovely pool area.The location is perfect and in close proximity for sampling the best champagne houses along the Avenue de Champagne (15 minute walk). The breakfast room or Solarium, is very alluring and provides wonderful views of the gardens and pool, plus the breakfast was delicious with a wide selection of hot or cold options. However, our room was very tiny and dark, with only one small window providing very little light and not the 5 star experience we were anticipating. We were told upon check in that we had "the last room available", which is why I'm guessing it is the least desirable. Our room looked NOTHING like the standard room pictures presented on line- perhaps this was the servant's quarters in the attic at one time, certainly not the 5 star quality of this once grand house that we were expecting for our romantic getaway. On a positive note, the bathroom was very nice, large, clean with a bath/shower combination and seemed recently updated with luxurious robes, towels and amenities- however this did not make up for the deficiencies mentioned in the room accommodations to substantiate a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: avoid the small, dark standard attic rooms on top floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luxpoet
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I had previously stayed at this hotel in 2012. It was then a four star hotel. Unlike our previous stay, over four days, we were unimpressed with the greeting we received on arrival.

I had booked two De Luxe Rooms which were obviously not ready on our arrival at midday. There was no problem with this. Sadly the greeting we received was the rather curt and brusque. In a rather offhand way we were told to return at three in the afternoon. There was no warm welcome from the young lady who failed to smile at any of us.

On our return we were given our keys. The rooms were as I remembered, as I had booked the same rooms as our earlier trip. Breakfast in the conservatory was nice, but without the same friendly service nor such an extensive range of meats and food as I remember before.

We left the next morning, and after a planned four day stay elsewhere we returned to Villa Eugene. We had booked the same rooms for two more nights. We hoped we might get a warmer welcome. Sadly the same young lady was in reception. The rooms were ready but her style of greeting was as cold and perfunctory as before.

The hotel boasts five star appeal. It is not five star. I suspect that this hotel is under new management or is now part of a chain of hotels. The staff had changed, the style of welcome had changed. The other staff were friendly enough but showed no anticipatory interest in helping unless asked.

Will I visit this hotel again? The rooms were good, breakfast was good. The style had changed. Perfunctory sums up the pervading attitude. No I will not stay here again. What a shame as it used to be so friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Tonyski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Epernay
Hotel Jean Moet
L'Assiette Champenoise
L'Assiette Champenoise
#1 of 10 in Tinqueux
Hotel Ibis Epernay Centre Ville

Been to La Villa Eugene? Share your experiences!