“Shocking” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 69 Hotels in Reims
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Shocking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Booked to stay at this hotel as me and my family were travelling through France including my 20 month old daughter. Travel to the hotel took a bit longer than expected due to a 2 hour traffic jam at Lyon so decided to call the hotel and advise as we were not going to arrive until midnight. I was advised by the hotel owner that the last check in was 11pm and if we didn't arrive by then they would give our room away and still charge me for the booking. I argued that we couldn't do anything about the traffic and his responce was that it was our tough luck and there is nothing we can do about it. So not only did he take our money but my family had to sleep in the car as it was too late to book alternative accommodation. There is also no information on their website stating no check in after 11pm. Thie hotel was booked through e-bookings.com

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

Right downtown, in the pedestrian zone, this little hotel is situated a 7-minute walk for the train station on the 2nd and 3rd floors of an old building with the traditional creaking floors. Expect narrow stairs and no elevator. At my arrival at lunch time, I was greeted politely by the owner and given my key right away but warned that the housecleaning was not quite done. However I was able to leave my luggage in my room (a single) and change, a great plus when you have just gotten off the plane. I was offered breakfast but I declined.

The room itself was simple but clean. For the price I even had my own bathroom and small shower. The bed was reasonably comfortable. Soap, shampoo, towels, extra pillows were provided. The television, a flat screen, worked well. Only the carpet showed its age. No blow-dryer or clock were in sight. In summary, the room offered basic & clean comfort for a basic price. Since it was at the back of the building, it was also quiet.

Wine cellars: see the tourist bureau beside the cathedral to reserve a time for visiting the cellars. Pommery has the most beautiful 'caves' but Martel has the friendliest and most interesting tour (old tools and instruments).

Epernay: the capital of champagne is just a 20-minute train ride away. Stop by the town's tourist bureau to see which cellars are open and need reservations, and then plan accordingly. Moët & Chandon is the oldest and most classic. Tours are by reservation and are given in French, English & Italian by ladies in a smart black 2-piece suit. Mercier, more 'avant-gardiste' in its approach, does not require reservations. The visit of the cellars is done in a small train with an audio-guide.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo