“ultra expensive grande dame, but fabulous experience”

Chateau Les Crayeres
Ranked #1 of 69 Hotels in Reims
Scotland
“ultra expensive grande dame, but fabulous experience”
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Stayed here on business (with someone else paying!) Sitting within a huge parkland on the edge of Reims, a fantastic Chateau-style 5-star hotel that is very traditional and ultra luxurious: my Princess suite was vast, busy in the French way with lots of patterns everywhere, vases, clocks, gilded furniture, etc., but extremely comfortable. Lovely views to the park, huge, fantastically comfortable bed and marble and gold bathroom with Hermes toiletries. Breakfast was fantastic too in a lovely room with conservatory overlooking the park, fresh fruits and pastries and whole menu of options. This is a very conservative, very elegant hotel in the grand style - like the Ritz, or George V in Paris - and because of that possibly not for everyone as it is quite formal and would suit an older, wealthier clientelle perhaps. But it delivers an amazing product and is a real experience, so if you like the sound of it and can afford the £500+ per nigh,t it is an amazing place and a slice of old, aristocratic France that is slowly disappearing.

Room Tip: Princess rooms on 2nd floor have great views
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank scotsmantravelling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
New Albany, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My wife, 14 year old son and I enjoyed two nights in the Chateau Les Crayeres in June, 2011. I recommend the hotel.
This is a gracious establishment, situated in a grand manor house overlooking a private park. The park and all the landscaping are maintained meticulously. The public areas of the hotel itself are furnished in a classic style, with great taste. If I had a criticism of the public areas, it might be that there was no place to simply “sit” and read (outside of a landing on the second floor). That’s a small complaint.
There were pleasant outdoor seating areas both immediately adjacent to and on the grounds of the estate.
Our welcome was classic “Relais & Chateau” – with the desk manager rushing out of the hotel to welcome us as we parked our car to unload it. Bell service arrived immediately to unload the car – and I simply handed the car keys over to the bellman.
Check in was speedy, and since our room was not quite ready we were offered complimentary champagne in the lounge area.
After a very short wait – even before we had finished our drinks – we were invited to our room.
We had a Duchesse Room – with a separate living room, a bedroom, and a large bath with separate shower and tub and two sinks. The room was generously sized (especially by European standards), and furnished in a very tasteful and comfortable manner. The lighting in the room was excellent – at almost every chair and at both sides of the bed one could easily read.
The hotel offered free wireless internet (why can’t Four Seasons and the like figure out that this is expected these days?). HVAC worked perfectly. The soundproofing of the room was excellent.
Our bed was most comfortable, and bedding and linens were of highest quality. My son reported that the sofa bed was below average, since it was a bit soft for him (and, since he’s now almost 6 foot, his feet stuck out the end of the bed).
The service at the hotel was flawless. All the housekeeping touches were perfect, and on the one or two occasions I needed something for the room it was handled immediately.
Breakfast was decent, not great. When I see French breakfast prices – the ones here were 28 Euro a person – I have to remember that it appears that breakfast is really part of the room price in French hotels. Certainly the breakfast wouldn’t begin to be worth $42 under any scenario. That said, as far a French breakfast was concerned it had the basics. If there really was another option for breakfast in France, I would have taken it, however.
The hotel had two putting greens which my son and I enjoyed on one of the afternoons.
I discovered that guests of the hotel get a discount on tours of the Pommery champagne house, right next door. It was a nice tour.
This is not a cheap place to stay. The base rate of the room was 645 Euros, and if you factor in breakfast, it was 729 Euros. That said, I thought the hotel was worth the price, and offered the service and quality of lodging I'd expect for a hotel of this level. I’d come back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank OrrvilleRedRider
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Everything you want from an exquisite chateau in the middle of Reims.Service superb, rooms beautiful and food excellent. Gourmet food well deserving of it's Michelin star. Hermes products in bathroom indicative of the chic style of the place.

Room Tip: Room 25 delightful!!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LADYRAWDON
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Where do I begin? Amazing. Great service. Nice staff. Convenient car park. Walking distance from Clicquot, Pommery, and Taittingers- which is convenient. Beautiful grounds. Splurge for the princess suite. The sunset from the balcony are unforgettable. Great restaurant. Antiques in the room. DVDs available which is great when there's only CNN. Personal recommendation? The Bridges of Madison County and Key Largo after eating the raspberry macaron at Les Jardin. In contention for being named my all time favorite hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank 7continentsby25
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Our room was fantastic - Spacious, well laid out, a good bathroom and decorated well.
Our evening meal was superb - Every course surpassed our expectations and the sommelier recommended a lovely wine.
We stayed for two nights, visited some Champagne houses and felt spoilt rotten.
I would recommend a short break here to anyone.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MacCree
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My wife and I stayed at Les Crayeres for a 3 night visit to Reims. It was a beautiful property set in a quiet park but right near the center of the city and with easy access to the villages beyond. The park setting made it very quiet and peaceful and so it was very easy to relax. The staff throughout the hotel was very friendly and exceptionally helpful. We do not speak French and they easily accomodated us in English and never seemed bothered by it at all. I had asked for their assistance months before our arrival to help me plan visits to many of the champagne houses as well as dining reservations. They were happy to help, set up exactly what I wanted and everything worked flawlessly when we arrived. We also made the mistake of buying champagne and then trying to figure out how to bring it back to the US and they offered very willing assistance to help us overcome our mistake (p.s.: don't try to bring back more than 1 bottle per person). We would stay here again if we returned to Reims and would strongly encourage others to stay here. It's a vivid example of why Relais et Chateau properties are so great.

Room Tip: princess level room, #24 was great
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ckolton
Finland
Reviewed 6 January 2011

This hotel is beautiful and classy. We stayed in one of the best rooms on the second floor. We had a big balcony facing the cathedral (further away) and the garden, so the view was fantastic. The room itself was huge, and very nicely decorated (respecting the castles style). Nights were very quiet and we had our own piece.

Hotel staff arranged us everything we needed. We tried the Jardin Restaurant, food was great and very well priced.

Hotel is not in the city center, but right next to Pommery Champagne house (worth the visit, as well as Ruinard Champagne house.

I dont know about the price of the room, I am sure it was costy, but I it is a great hotel to treat yourself and that special someone once a year.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple