“Good hotel in an excellent location”

Best Western Premier Hotel de la Paix
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Reims
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Modern & clean hotel centrally located in Reims centre. Parked across the road for 12.50 per day. Reception very helpful, room was air conditioned and being able to by champagne by the glass was good.
Took us 30 mins to walk to Taittinger - well worth a visit.

We had a room at the front of the hotel and it was a little noisy.

Room Tip: Avoid the front
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,139)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The location of this hotel is right in the middle of the city. There was no parking available, so we had to park in the garage right across the street. Staff are mostly young and reasonably friendly, but not interested in providing good customer service. You get the impression that they have enough guests, so they don't have to care. Our room had a nice location overlooking the courtyard and the city. Unfortunately, the carpet in our room smelled like wet dog, so we couldn't stay in there even with the A/C running while the window was closed which led us to leave it open at night. People are out drinking on the patio until about 1 am, so we couldn't get much sleep until everybody had left. The bed was clean and quite comfortable, as were the sink and the tub, but don't look too closely, as they just make it look clean and the floors, tiles and corners are dirty. Also, there was a lot of dust in our room. Not much attention to detail. The breakfast was okay, but there wasn't much choice considering the 15-euro price tag. One would think that they could at least put out a bottle of bubbly when you are in the heart of Champagne. One guest brought a huge Golden Retriever. Although I'm a dog lover, I don't think it's appropriate to bring such a big animal into a breakfast room and I realize that different rules apply in Europe vs. the US. Overall, we did not have a good experience at this hotel. If you are in the area, you would be well advised to book early, e.g., in one of the B&B's in Epernay or get a room in one of the small villages. We had decided to go to Champagne at the last minute, that's why we wound up at the Best Western. The cleanliness standard in the lobby as well as the elevator is a good indicator of what to expect. We have traveled a lot in Europe and had much better stays in other hotels for a lot less money.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
BW-Hotel-de-la-Paix, Responsable relations clients at Best Western Premier Hotel de la Paix, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We have read carefully your comment left on Trip Advisor and we are sorry to see that we didn't reach all your expectancies. I'll leave a note to our Chefs de Service, especially our Gouvernante. Do not hesitate to mention to our staff any complaint or you may have during your stay. They could have correct most of it. We easily understand that our kind of property doesn't fit to all guests and that you may have preferred a smaller hotel or even a B&B with different services. However I can ensure you that we really care of all our guests and that we do our best to provide a good level of service everydays.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I will leave a more informed impression of the place on my second review.

Having driven across Switzerland and half of France to get here, I just wanted a beer to unwind. Forget the bar in this place unless you you are looking for an ignorant, rude, arrogant, disinterested, unprofessional, discourteous, tender behind the bar. All this person did was infuriate me.

He is representing the face of the hotel. Serving customers with half filled beer glasses with the merest grunt whilst continuing to talk to his female friend at the end of the bar is not acceptable.

I finished that beer, waited, waited some more, looked around, waited and in the end asked for another. I was the ONLY other person in the bar, standing at the bar with an empty glass waiting for another froth filled glass. Sadly I had to interrupt his happy conversation only to be greeted by this miserable response and disinterested attitude whilst he served me, a mere customer, again.

If he was an employee if mine and I had witnessed this behaviour, he would be looking for another job before I finished this half glass of beer.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank PJH_EHH
BW-Hotel-de-la-Paix, Responsable relations clients at Best Western Premier Hotel de la Paix, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Sir,

I have well read your issue regarding the bar and the attitude of one person of our staff, who has been informed of it.
Your message, which is one of your first feedback left on Trip Advisor, is very important for us. We are not used to get such complaints about our staff especially a staff described as "ignorant, rude, arrogant, disinterested, unprofessional, discourteous and tender". We serve guests every day and despite we may sometimes be faultly it's difficult for us to read this. I also would like to notify that one of our receptionnist care about this issue with your wife during your stay.

We remain to your disposal and we thank you for taking the time to express your complaint.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

It's been a while since I stayed in any Best Western property but needs must and I needed a place to stay on a rod trip via Reims that was central and had a garage. This hotel ticked both boxes. What a nice surprise on arrival. Modern, well-appointed, and within a few minutes walk of the Cathedral and other sights. Staff helpful and friendly. The standard room was small but bathroom modern and clean (passed the mould in the shower test), bed comfy, good air-con. Didn't try the cafe/restaurant but relaxed on the terrace bar which was great, as was the bottle of champagne. Overall a very pleasant surprise and another hotel to add to my repertoire of great road trip stop-overs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Traveller,

We are very pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations and that you are going to add our property to your repertoire of great road trip stop-overs.

We thank you for this feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Hôtel de al paix - Vincent B. - Guest Relation

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed just one night at this great hotel in Reims, but wished we had stayed longer. Modern, clean central hotel, good facilities. Reims was lively & entertaining. Negatives for the hotel would be pillow quality and attitude of the staff. Found the staff generally surly and not welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mrs. H,

We thank you for leaving your feedback following your stay in our hotel. It's important for us to read that you spent a good time here, even too short. I've noticed your message regarding the staff and we will do our best to improve it.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel should have been better than it was. it is a perfect location near to the old town and has a beautiful exterior. To me it lacked a bit of the personal touch. It was a routine check in, not particularly welcoming and rough directions to where breakfast was served and our room. It was a Monday night but very noisy. The breakfast was average, with once again average staff. I was distinctly underwhelmed in this hotel, sorry.

Room Tip: Do not have one next to the lift or overlooking the street
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
BW-Hotel-de-la-Paix, Responsable relations clients at Best Western Premier Hotel de la Paix, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I read with attention your feedback left on Trip Advisor and it seems we didn't reach all your expectancies. Your feedback is important for us and we will use it to improve our services, especially the check-in which could have been better despite we usually try to give a nice welcome at arrival.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel room was very clean, and the hotel located in the center of the city. It is very easy to explore the city on foot from this location. The hallway did smell bad, like possibly urine, but that did not penetrate the room. Also, I was told the breakfast would be included in the price of the room, and then when I checked out, an extra 15 Euros were added to my bill. The morning desk clerk said that it was not included and acted as if I was crazy for asking about that when the evening desk clerk had told me otherwise. It's such a nice hotel that you already pay a lot to stay in, so it's unfortunate that they try to squeeze more money out of you. I also happened to park in the garage across the street and not the one owned by the hotel. I'm not sure if I saved money there, but the night clerk acted as if I would save by parking in the Best Western garage. When I pressed him, I realized it wasn't free and decided to stay put. Overall, I would not stay here again and would recommend checking out the two or three hotels next door.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Traveller,

I thank you for taking the time to write this review and I'm sorry to read that you wouldn't recommend our property. I can ensure you that we don't try to squeeze more money out of our customers. The thing is that some services, such as the wifi or the access to the swimming pool, are included in the room rate and some others, such as the garage or the breakfast, are at extra cost. It seems there has been some misunderstandings with our staff and I apologize for this.

Remaining to your disposal,