“Barely average in good location”

Golden Tulip Reims L Univers
Ranked #46 of 69 Hotels in Reims
Sacramento, California
“Barely average in good location”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was bumped to this hotel and so I was a little frazzled when I arrived. The receptionist did not help by providing only minimal information and nothing in writing. Given my French skills are minimal it would be great to have the wifi codes in writing. In addition, my room number didn't match my floor. And the hallway lights seemed to come on just as I left the area (always back lit). I guess electric prices are very high because they also require your room key by the door to engage electricity. Even with that, many of the plugs don't work so I had to recharge my computer and phone in the bathroom AND couldn't leave it to recharge while I was out for dinner, etc.

The bed had a big dip in the middle and the towels were ratty. The towels really make me crazy. How much can it cost to keep inexpensive white towels in good order?

The breakfast was okay. It is not included in the room rate. The morning receptionist was much friendlier. The room rate was for the other hotel that appeared to have a nicer lobby. So I cannot comment on the value.

It is located close to restaurants, shopping and the train station.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Julie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Great location to the pedestrian strip of Reims and the main train station.
Staff were very helpful and spoke English.
For a French hotel, our room was spacious. Our room was dated and the bathroom was less than average. It appeared the hotel had commenced a renovation process (here is hoping our room was still to be renovated).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peta G
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

A really excellent location for walking around the city. Comfortable bed and adequate bathroom. On street parking available. The indoor market is well worth a visit along with the cathedral which is stunning, some of the statues are really amusing and the windows fantastic.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NickKenworthy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great location, opposite the park and train station. A few mins walk to the main street of restaurants and the supermarket which is in the Shopping Mall. The rooms are quite basic, but clean which is the main thing and the bathroom was fine too. Free wifi was available. Breakfast was plentiful but like some other travellers the chairs and tables are a bit low to eat at! There were pipes in the halls and bedrooms that were not covered up that could lead to some nasty accidents. Nice thick curtains which were good as we had the hotel sign right outside our room. I would stay here again but please be advised its a pretty basic hotel which met our needs perfectly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank michellethekiwi
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Firstly this hotel's location is perfect, right across the park from the railway station & just around the corner from a street full of restaurants. That's about where the really good things finish. In the room the positives are the bed us very big, Tv's big & wifi works. New carpet & wall coverings. Problems begin with, all doors squeak when moved & doors to each room in hall are hard to close so most people let them bang shut. Door to the robe rubs on the new carpet so is difficult to use as is the door to the mini bar. The mini bar door goes in the opposite direction so this is a nuisance to use. As I said the bed is big but I think past it's use by date. It has a plastic type mattress cover which makes for an uncomfortable sleep. Sheets are too small for the bed so it is hard to tuck in, pillow cases are too small for the terrible pillows! Donna cover had a large hole where the seam had parted! In the bathroom we had 2 showers which sounds good but one, over the bath, had no shower screen or curtain while the other was small with a curtain but water still went all over the floor. Towels were well past their use by date & need to be thrown out.
In the stairwell while going down at night some lights didn't work so I nearly fell after thinking I had made it to the next landing. Breakfast we did not have as the price of £13 pp is a bit steep when we usually only have a piece of toast & coffee. Staff were good when we spoke to them but we didn't have a lot to do with them as we did not spend a lot of time at the hotel as we just didn't feel comfortable there. It was 3 nights that I wish we spent somewhere else in such a lovely city. Which reminds me that staff never advised us (I suppose they don't have to but would have been nice) of an amazing light show on Notre Dame at night.
I am not usually this picky on a property as most have a minor issue here & there but this place had so many & many of them could be delt with very easily if someone could be bothered. A bit of TLC is all that is needed & replace some worn out linen etc would make this place a hugely better place to stay.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Birchyk

Travellers are raving about these Reims hotels

Landsmeer, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed with friends for a night in Reims. The hotel is allright. The sanitary could use some updating, but the beds are good and the hotel is in the towncentre. Good parkingfacilities and the breakfast is of a good price/quality.

Things that need attention: airco and bathroom

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pieter L
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the privilege rooms, which was £50. We did see a standard room, which was very small.

Generous sizes and very clean.

15min walk to Mumm champagne house.

10min walk to the very nice cathedral.

Just round the corner from the main strip for all restaurants and bars.

Very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012