“Food and service was very good”

Pum Thai Restaurant & Cooking School
Ranked #46 of 352 Restaurants in Besancon
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Daphne, AL
“Food and service was very good”
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We were walking through the center of Besancon and looked on trip advisor to find a restaurant nearby. Pum Thai had very good ratings so we decided to give it a try. The place was spacious and our server spoke good english. The service was excellent. The food was very good but not as spicy as were are accustomed to in the USA. Try the satay, it was quite good. Pricing was very reasonable.

• Visited July 2012

Lausanne, Switzerland
“Complete joke!”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We went into this restaurant because of the great reviews on Tripadvisor. Again, this was all wrong and I've got to say that this was the last time I've been following any advice from this site. This restaurant is a pure insult to Thai cuisine. I've been to Southeast Asia and I know how Thai food is supposed to be, because I also went to a cooking class. I have ever had such terrible "Thai" food as in Besançon. The herbs aren't cut properly, so the flavours can't develop in the food. A blind person could cook better! We ordered a Tom Yum soup and what we got was a ridiculously small portion of sour soup with coconut milk, nothing else, no vegetables - nothing. No flavour at all! And this is a cooking school!!!! The main dish was just terrible. The green curry was absolutely boring and hardly any vegetables. Rice was poorly done too. When I asked for a vegetarian curry with Tofu the Asian girl told me "We don't do tofu in Thailand". This is of course totally wrong. The service was a joke too. I ordered a vegetarian Tom Yum soup and they brought me a chicken one! The main dish wish takes about 5 minutes in any restaurant in South East Asia took 45 minutes in Besançon... The restaurant was so cold and I don't normally complain about the temperature. I've been many times to France and feel that their restaurants are largely overrated unless you travel with a "guide Michelin" ($$$$$$$$), but what we had in the Pum Thai was just offensive. We payed 40 Euro for this joke dinner. This is a huge rip off and I can only assume that the people in Besançon don't know real Thai food. Don't go there unless you like flushing your money down the toilet. A truly terrible place! By the way, I'm a French speaker and it wasn't a language/cultural problem...

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank Andreas1012
Zurich, Switzerland
“Fresh Thai Food”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

A really nice budget restaurant that prepares all meals fresh in their open kitchen. The staff are super friendly and we always feel welcome.

• Visited August 2011
Iqaluit, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great meal at the right price and location”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed two nights in Besançon as a staging point for a trip through France en route to Switzerland and back. Our second night, we returned late, tired and hungry. I figured the only things open would be pizza and Thai. So when we came out of the car park and into the first street, all we could see was the pizzeria, but as we got closer, we saw Pum.

The space is large and comfortable. The manager served us and treated us with great courtesy, doing a good job of translating into English anything I could not read on the menu.

The highlight for us, despite the previous review, was the food. It was among the best food we had on our one-week trip, and was both filling and delicious. Good service and good food means a good review where I come from, and although I am not Thai, I know what tastes good. Our server, the manager, was Thai, as is the owner, and I find it hard to believe that someone could suggest the food is not Thai. I can't support this, though, as I've never been to Thailand.

We're moving back to Canada, but if this small chain spreads, I think it would do well in England, where it would give Wagamama a run for its money. That's likely the market they're targeting, so if you appreciate that, you will like Pum. Apparently coming soon to Manchester.

• Visited July 2011
new york
“make sure what are you doing!!!”
Reviewed 29 December 2010

I have had a chance to see Pum and George (the owner and partner ship) showing their cooking style in a class. Not only tast but also the cooking process are wrong from the start. In terms of being a cooking school, the most importance thing is a well-know in Thai Food as well as a well-skill in cooking Thai Authentic cuisine. It is not surprise that why the school and restuarant is famouse among a tourist group, mostly foreingers, but not Thais. Foreigners do not know exact tast of Thai food. Even they have a chance to try Thai dishes in their country but mostly the taste will adjust to suit each country life style and tast. I have been living aboard for many years but hardly find a real Thai food taste in restuarants. The taste will strongly be sweet or plain. This is very disappointing. This is the cause of lacking Thai customers because of Thais do know and understand their authentic food. They concentrate and fussy in cooking and each meal will be ended up with the pleasure.

I am a hundread percent Thai and will be deadly disappointed when someone represents Thai food and traditional in the wrong way. Understand that business needs profit but if that business extremly say "To represent Thai food and Traditional", this definately ruins your country representative and image.

3 Thank serendipity_90