“Good bistro food, Good value”
Review of Le Cafe Cafe

Le Cafe Cafe
Ranked #3 of 360 Restaurants in Besancon
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good bistro food, Good value”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

_Location_
The Café Café is situated in an alley in the center of Besançon. If you don't know it's there chances are you'll miss it.

_Food_
The dishes are well cooked and nicely presented. I had the lamb's shank with polenta and it was delicious. Mains are between 12 and 20 €.
The wine is about 20€ a bottle.

_Service_
Service is good. Friendly, attentive and diligent.

• Korean first
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Much better than it looks!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel receptionist and it turned out to be a very good recommendation. The menu is on a blackboard and limited but I understand that it is all based around fresh ingredients. We sat outside in what looks like a slightly scruffy area but do not be deceived the food was excellent and good value. Staff were helpful and translated the menu for us. Would definitely visit again if we return to Besancon.

Visited June 2014
Uden, The Netherlands
“Be sure to make a reservation!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Le Cafe Cafe is a small restaurant with a nice terrace. We visited the restaurant at 19.00 hours. Half an hour later all tables were occupied. So: make a reservation our visit the place early.
We made our choice from the compact menu: coquilles on a red pest and free range chicken with a lasagne of several greens. For dessert I had 4 regional cheeses: lovely! The service was swift and hospitable. Wine list: short but with a good quality.

• Visited July 2014
Kodiak, Alaska
“Tucked into a Corner with Good Food”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our little group of two couples had originally hoped to eat at a different restaurant, which turned out to be closed the week we were in town. But as we stood peering into the windows, one of the staff, who happened to have stopped in for a moment, came out and spoke to us. We asked for a recommendation for another place to eat, and he sent us to Le Cafe Cafe in the old town. We were delightfully surprised by the good food and grateful to the guy who sent us. The restaurant works off of a specials chalk board, and between the four of us, we tried three of the mains. All were very good. We tried the chicken in roasted red pepper sauce, the shrimp and scallops with black rice, and a delicious and tender lamb shank with a wonderful vegetable terrine. The restaurant has a very good wine list, but also has wines and beer by the glass. The prices were on par with other similar establishments. It was a popular spot, and the only reason we got an inside table on a misty night was because we got there early. It filled up within an hour, so I would recommend booking ahead. It is also tucked away where you might not just come across it easily, so look it up and map it before you go.

• Visited April 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Delightful restaurant and excellent food!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We travelled to Besancon for a wedding and had a night before the actual wedding, which we spent in Besancon. I asked the receptionist of our hotel (Hotel de Paris) for a recommendation and this was one of them. He described it as a restaurant familiale and we were to find his description was spot on.
There is a 'permanent' menu, but, to be honest, it is not inspiring... What is inspiring though is the daily board menu! Oh, I wanted to order everything! It is all based on local ingredients (ok, scallops aren't really to be found in the Franche-Comte...) and cooked in a traditional French style, but not old-fashioned, if you know what I mean.
There are no starters, only mains and desserts. In the end I had the filet de veau (veal) avec morilles, my wife had the agneau (lamb) and my mother-in-law had the scallops with shrimp tartare. All three dishes were just delicious! The meat was cooked to perfection, so were the scallops. The service was very jovial and entertaining and generally pretty quick. I felt that towards the end the two guys were struggling a little bit to keep up, (covering inside and outside at the same time!) but they did so in a very amiable fashion.
The wine list is limited, but with some good choices. As a dessert I had a pear/rhubarb crumble which was very tasty.
Should I ever return to Besancon again, I would definitely go there again! A word of advice: book ahead!
Just noticed the review from Sophie O and from experience I can agree: never order any spicy food in a French restaurant! The French don't do spicy, hot food.

• Visited May 2014