“Positively surprised”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Fontainebleau
Madrid, Spain
“Positively surprised”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We were late in booking a hotel for my partner's 5 yr reunion and ended up being for to book at the Victoria as it was the only hotel with room availability. Based in some of the reviews we read on TA, our expectations were very low. We were utterly and positively surprised by what we found: the hotel is located 200 m away from the campus which made it very easy to walk to. It is also close to a supermarket, hairdresser, shopping area etc.. The hotel itself has been renovated. Our room was large, with a large bathroom and modern in French standards. They offer free wi-fi and the staff is quite helpful. They even offered to lend us some bikes to cycle around town. The hotel consists of 2 buildings that are interconnected fromthe back by a garden.

Eventhough it's not the Ritz, the hotel is more than one needs in Fontainbleau.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank joellehaddad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Austria
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I booked the hotel as it is close to INSEAD where I wanted to go and it really looked nice on their web-page. But the room I had - and the others I looked into - did not look at all similar to the nice rooms on the web-page. First they gave me a room in a garden extension of the building, without a window, just a small vertical glass element in the roof. Then I got a small room in the attic. Both were in bad shape and badly needed refurbishment. The bed was uncomfortable and the shower not really clean.
The room was rather cheap, but definitively not worth the money - especially considering what you expect when looking on the web-page before booking.
The only upside: they have free bikes for customers.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank 2sm

Travellers are raving about these Fontainebleau hotels

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Stayed here for two weeks during a session with the local business school. This is a no frills hotel, the rooms are a bit old, the whole building is old but I enjoyed it anyway. Breakfast was weak but the owner Paul was extremely helpful and made up for any shortcomings of the place.

Shop around to get the best rates.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 28 May 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Victoria in May 2008 for my 5 year business school reunion. I wanted to share my experience because our expectations and the reality of our stay were vastly different. I expected a very average experience, and hoped to spend as little time as possible in the hotel. Overall though, my wife and my experience at the hotel was excellent. The service was prompt and friendly, the room exceeded our expectations and the grounds were beautiful (fun garden in the back for our 2 year old son).
In terms of service, the front desk staff was very attentive. When I first arrived, I had incorrectly told the hotel I needed a single - when they saw I had my wife and baby son (2 years old) with me, they put me in a larger room with a cot for the baby. At times throughout the weekend, as we had to go up and down to the room, the front desk staff kept a watchful eye over our son when we were upstairs. In addition, the front desk staff was very helpful with directions and contacts throughout Fontainebleau (and very much went beyond the expected level of service)
In terms of the room, not only was the room larger than we expected, but it was also surprisingly quiet - not just from outside noise, but also from inside noise (other guests), which is good, since our baby was crying heavily our first night at the hotel.
Last but not least, the location is excellent, being 5 minutes from either the chateau, the center of town, or the school campus.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank temph0