“weekend at Fontainebleu”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Fontainebleau
Paris, France
“weekend at Fontainebleu”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

This quirky hotel was lovely. The staff were with out fault ,The breakfast was great, croissants jam eggs juice coffee tea etc. We had a big room with the lovely touches of vintage furniture which gave the room a real ambiance. The bed was comfy and large & the sheets good cotton. Downside very hard pillows!!!
It was a little strange to have to go from our hotel to another one down the road to collect and hand in keys and for breakfast. (That would not be fun in the rain but as it was not raining when we were there it was fine.) Our side of the hotel was painted peach in the hall way and looked quite tatty, it was a bit of a shame as the room was so lovely and tasteful; though the receptionist has told me the hallways were being done up so maybe by the time you get there it will have been done. All in all with the excellent position of this hotel this really is a hotel worth booking. Oh and i nearly forgot there is a fantastic creperie just down the road too!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vi0let17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

If you're used to staying in large corporate style hotels you may struggle with this one. INSEAD put half of the class in the Victoria and it appears that not all the rooms were to the same standard. Mine had been upgraded, still undeniably simple, but functional and the owner/family were nice and helpful. We all complained to one another, one of the Americans moved out but it served it's purpose. Easy walk to school and town, they also have some bikes you can borrow if you want to explore a little further.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Marc B
Reviewed 25 November 2011

From all aspects of the service, food, beverage, and quality of bed And the very old matter. It is one of the worst hotels in the world.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Landrover3

Travellers are raving about these Fontainebleau hotels

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We were late in booking a hotel for my partner's 5 yr reunion and ended up being for to book at the Victoria as it was the only hotel with room availability. Based in some of the reviews we read on TA, our expectations were very low. We were utterly and positively surprised by what we found: the hotel is located 200 m away from the campus which made it very easy to walk to. It is also close to a supermarket, hairdresser, shopping area etc.. The hotel itself has been renovated. Our room was large, with a large bathroom and modern in French standards. They offer free wi-fi and the staff is quite helpful. They even offered to lend us some bikes to cycle around town. The hotel consists of 2 buildings that are interconnected fromthe back by a garden.

Eventhough it's not the Ritz, the hotel is more than one needs in Fontainbleau.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank joellehaddad
Austria
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I booked the hotel as it is close to INSEAD where I wanted to go and it really looked nice on their web-page. But the room I had - and the others I looked into - did not look at all similar to the nice rooms on the web-page. First they gave me a room in a garden extension of the building, without a window, just a small vertical glass element in the roof. Then I got a small room in the attic. Both were in bad shape and badly needed refurbishment. The bed was uncomfortable and the shower not really clean.
The room was rather cheap, but definitively not worth the money - especially considering what you expect when looking on the web-page before booking.
The only upside: they have free bikes for customers.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank 2sm
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Stayed here for two weeks during a session with the local business school. This is a no frills hotel, the rooms are a bit old, the whole building is old but I enjoyed it anyway. Breakfast was weak but the owner Paul was extremely helpful and made up for any shortcomings of the place.

Shop around to get the best rates.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 28 May 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Victoria in May 2008 for my 5 year business school reunion. I wanted to share my experience because our expectations and the reality of our stay were vastly different. I expected a very average experience, and hoped to spend as little time as possible in the hotel. Overall though, my wife and my experience at the hotel was excellent. The service was prompt and friendly, the room exceeded our expectations and the grounds were beautiful (fun garden in the back for our 2 year old son).
In terms of service, the front desk staff was very attentive. When I first arrived, I had incorrectly told the hotel I needed a single - when they saw I had my wife and baby son (2 years old) with me, they put me in a larger room with a cot for the baby. At times throughout the weekend, as we had to go up and down to the room, the front desk staff kept a watchful eye over our son when we were upstairs. In addition, the front desk staff was very helpful with directions and contacts throughout Fontainebleau (and very much went beyond the expected level of service)
In terms of the room, not only was the room larger than we expected, but it was also surprisingly quiet - not just from outside noise, but also from inside noise (other guests), which is good, since our baby was crying heavily our first night at the hotel.
Last but not least, the location is excellent, being 5 minutes from either the chateau, the center of town, or the school campus.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank temph0