“Too busy for good service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,575 of 16,717 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$12 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Bercy / Nation
Description: THE FROG AT BERCY VILLAGE is situated in an historic Parisian wine chai. It has open beams, limestone walls and a split-level interior, with two charming terraces. The magnificent English custom-designed and manufactured microbrewery is a main feature in this pub & produces 10,000 pints of our six original craft beers each week.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Too busy for good service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We fancied trying the menu at this very popular restaurant which also brews it's own beers- the blones were excellent. We ordered burgers which were a speciality. Very slow to come, and when mine came I picked up the salt and the shaker came apart and poured salt all over my plate and table. Although probably the fault of a 'prank- when I pointed it out to a waiter- when I found one- he just shrugged and did not even offer to re-plate my food which was partially ruined. Eventually he wiped the table a little.This was a very young establishment, but I would have expected a new plate of food or an apology and reduction at least. None forthcoming and next night we went back to Chez Bruno opposite!

Visited August 2014
FrogPubs, Manager at The Frog at Bercy Village, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
Dear suziehbabe,
First of all I want to thank you for giving us a try while you were staying in the area. Thanks also for taking the time to write a review, that is, considering the apparently very disappointing service you received, very balanced and in many ways positive!
I am going to send you a private message to find out a few more details about the date and time of your trip and approximately where you were sitting, as I’d like to figure out who served you on your visit. It is completely unacceptable behavior to ignore a complaint like that and I would like to assure you that ordinarily we would have replaced your meal (not just replated) without you having to ask, and we would have had it back with you in under 10 minutes. I am truly sorry that you did not get the service you, or any customer, deserves on your visit.
I am pleased, however, you enjoyed our beers! I consider myself a bit of a beer geek and I’m very proud of the beers we brew on site every day. If you ARE ever back in the area, please do drop me a line, I’d be happy to arrange a private brewery tour for you if you are interested to know more!
Best wishes, and thanks again,

• Czech first
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Great Veggie Burgers!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was our first meal in Bercy and well worth the decision to eat there. The food was excellent. Not cheap but it is Paris in August so what you would expect! The waiter was lovely, very friendly and accommodating. Would definitely return AND it was the only place that had anything remotely vegetarian for my daughter :)

Visited August 2014
Hi HDebby,
I’m pleased the Veggie Burgers passed the taste test! We have a very good grilled aubergine and falafel wrap on as well for the veggies and we’re currently developing a new veggie burger with deep fried Halloumi and grilled peppers… I’m so excited we managed to please your daughter, I know how frustrating it can be trying to find something decent on a menu for veggies, especially in Paris!
Thanks for dropping in while you were in the area, and thanks also for taking the time to write such a great review. I’ll be sharing this with the team, I’m sure they’ll all be pleased to see you great comments about service.
Cheers and best wishes
“Very loud”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were staying at a nearby hotel in March and came for a late night dinner. The woman at the door was great and quickly found my ten year old child and I a table; however, it took a vert long time for the wait staff to wait on us. In the meantime, the restaurant was playing the music so loudly we couldn't visit. The food was okay (hamburger good); however, the service was very slow. This is probably a fine pub and eatery for young single people who have lots of time; however, I wouldn't go again with a child or if time mattered. If the music hadn't been headache producing loud and the inside service so slow, I would have rated it three circles. It appeared that the management needed to add staff for busy evenings.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi Midwestern Parent,
Thanks for giving us a try while you were in Paris recently with your family. We are very proud to offer a kids menu at a virtually unbeatable price and consider ourselves to be a family friendly restaurant. We give out candy at Halloween and Easter, offer a free kiddies game book with crayons to everyone under 10, we have high chair facilities and give out balloons and t shirts and facepaints for major sporting events and public holidays.
However, we are the kind of establishment that is many things to many different people and during the late night period we are excited to welcome a DJ. Naturally this does affect the ambience and the noise level, and we find that the restaurant becomes far more of a ‘bar’. While we are always happy to welcome children and families at any time of day or night, I would suggest we might be a more tranquil location during an earlier dinner slot. That said, there’s no excuse for slow service, it’s something we focus heavily on in our training and set clear time frames for things like greeting a customer and delivering food and drinks. If these timings were not respected during your visit, and contributed to your poor impression of us , then I can only apologise. In the last month I have taken over the management at The Frog at Bercy Village and I’m making it my mission to smooth out wrinkles like this. I do hope we get a chance to feed you and your family again, and perhaps improve on your impression of us. In the mean-time, thanks again for your custom and for taking the time to write a balanced review.
Best wishes
United Kingdom
“Standard is falling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Over the last couple of years I have come here several times. During this time, the waits for drink and food have tended to get gradually longer.

Also, the quality (=taste) of the In Seine ale I like has got increasingly hit-and-miss, i.e. the brewing standard is not consistent and ever more frequently the beer does not taste good.

Consequently, we will come here less in future.

Hi JimmyChris
Thanks so much for your custom over the last few years. Thanks as well for taking the time to write this review. We need to hear this kind of feedback from time to time… we’ve been going for 21 years and it’s great to get an outside perspective: good or bad, so we can stay fresh and STOP our standards falling.
We’ve recently shaken things up a bit and moved some of our managers round to give a fresh perspective on our pubs and how they run. I’ve been back at Bercy since mid-August , this is where I started at The Frog, about 5 years ago, and I feel a little bit like we have a special relationship, me an dthis pub! Beer is my special geeky passion and I’ve been making it my mission to establish consistent brew quality on all our core beers : I’ve invested in new kit for the brewery and had nearly all our in house brews overseen by senior brewers in the last month or so.
I’m focusing next on those service times and I want to get them back down to 6 minutes where they should be. It sounds like you know a thing or two about how we can be better so I’d love to hear from you personally next time you are in for a pint!
Best wishes, and thanks again for your custom over the years and for taking the time to write a balanced and fair feedback here.
Mauritius
“Good time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Managed to get a table out in terrace service was surprisingly ok and specially the resto this evening had a very good crowd . Being in Bercy Village during summer is always a pleasure. Food was just average and we enjoyed a nice time with friends

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi there,
I’m glad you and your friends had a good time with us this summer! The terrace is always a great atmosphere when it’s busy and I’m pleased the team managed to keep up the pace! Sorry to hear you found the food just ‘average’. We pride ourselves on delivering a good quality menu using fresh ingredients made in house and especially to order. It IS pub grub, but that doesn’t mean the quality should suffer. I hope you said something at the time! We would have happily replaced your food if it wasn’t up to par :)
Thanks so much for your visit and for taking the time to write about it here… I hope we’ll see you again soon for more fun this autumn!
Best