“Best value meal in Paris” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,063 of 16,717 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$25 - US$33
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Best value meal in Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This tiny restaurant is situated in the heart of expensive St Germain. There are a few restaurants nearby with similar prices - but they are tourist traps and the food is usually pretty awful (I have been to just every one).
The food here is basic - but it is cooked well. I have never had a bad meal. When we have guests to stay (we have a flat just down the road) we usually take them to a variety of restaurants in different parts of Paris - but this is invariably their favourite.
It is incredibly cheap. So, how do they do it?
They do not accept bookings and just fill the cramped tables in order. There may be empty tables elsewhere in the restaurant but you will be seated at the table they are currently filling - if a party of two you may have to share your table.
If you want to be sure of a place get there by 7pm (7.30pm latest). By 8pm the place will be full and there is usually a queue.
The first course will arrive quickly - closely followed by the main course. Having said that, I have never been rushed at the end of a meal.
The only other downside is that the wine is usually rather ordinary. I have tried the house wine and some more expensive wines - but they are all very ordinary.
So, cramped tables and ordinary wine. If you can put up with these two downsides you will enjoy a great atmosphere and good food at just about the cheapest prices in Paris.
I really recommend it - it feels as though you are in a family run bistro in a remote French village in 1975. If you have grown weary of the incredibly up market shops with their incredibly high prices in this locality, this will be a breath of fresh air.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank johnGerrardsCross

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
“Good typical French meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had a very nice meal, the restaurant is not expensive and the staff really nice. The tartar as well as the duck were fabulous!

• Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Love trying out restaurants that are a bit off the beaten path - and thought we should go try this one. The pate was meant to be creamy but it was very grainy and nothing special. I ordered the entrecôte for my main - again average (regular steak and potatoes). Very tiny restaurant so we were very squeezed. I felt very full before the end of my meal and didn't finish it all up. I found that their choice of faulty designed tea pots interesting. These tea pots are so hot there is nowhere to hold the pot to pour into your cup. I had to use my scarf and even then I struggled. 42euros for 2 persons with a starter and main and drinks. Not bad.. Overall an ok experience

• Visited January 2014
Clarkston, Michigan
“Good french food in an authentic atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

A bit away from the main touristy part of Paris, small two story restaurant where tables are intimately close together. Waiter was helpful for selecting items from the standard menu of French food. Staff were friendly and attentive to the combination of locals and tourists. Interesting avocado/shrimp as an appetizer (received the recipe). Our group enjoyed their meals including beef, veal and duck with various sauces/gravies and side dishes of rice or mashed potatoes. All the meats were tender and the sauces ranged from a burgundy wine for the beef and a creamy lime sauce with the veal. Servings were plentiful with no room for dessert. Total bill for five meals, two appetizers and a bottle of wine was 100 Euros. Good french food in an authentic atmosphere.

• Visited December 2013
Salt Lake City
“We stumbled upon this GEM!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

First, let me say that our overall impression of French food was just, eh...until this point. We had some great pastries and sandwiches, but otherwise just ok food. And everything served with damn fries! Argh. We went to this place on our last night in Paris, and boy, what a way to end it! It was just around the corner from our hotel and we always noticed it was busy, so we decided to take a chance. They sat us at a table with others and it is a tiny place...what a fun experience! They didn't speak any English and with our very limited French vocabulary, it was a tad confusing, but absolutely worth it! Some of the menu is in English, so we knew what starters we were getting, but then we threw caution to the wind and each ordered the "Plat du Jour" - I used the thumb-up, thumb-down method with our server and she gave both thumbs up for what I chose and then chose one for my boyfriend. I got the soup du jour for a starter and it was a delicious cheesy potato and the honey got the herring, which came with boiled potatoes and a nice cream sauce. My main was a lovely scallop, potato and greens dish with a wonderful sauce and his was a beef stroganoff. The bread was fresh and delicious and the house wine was just ok...I would recommend the white, we got the red. For dessert I had the tiramisu, which was a little dry, but ok, and he had this lovely baked apple covered with caramel which was delicious. Our bill was 52 euro, including tip, so not bad at all. Despite the language barrier, the staff were all incredibly nice to us and it was truly our best meal in Paris!

• Visited December 2013