“A little gem which makes your Paris experience”
Review of La Folle Avoine - CLOSED

La Folle Avoine
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We used Tripadvisor to find this restaurant near our hotel and it deserved the rave reviews it got. With a dozen tables on a quiet street, Marie the charming waitress and Rudy the cook run a quality two person operation. There is a choice of only two items for each course, which change each day, but everything was fresh and delicious. Most other customers were locals who were known to the owners, but there was one other table of tourists who come there every time they visit Paris. We loved the unpretentious atmosphere and the feeling of making a "find" away from the usual tourist places. Good value too! We made reservations and saw two "walk in" groups turned away as it was full.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

We were on a short visit to Paris and after a rather ordinary meal at a nearby cafe we passed La Folle Avoine. It was so packed and had such a simple yet creative menu, that we decided to eat there the next night before leaving town. What a good idea. First off, the hostess was great (I believe this is Marie). She was very friendly and helpful - as we do not speak good French she was happy to help explain the dishes and their preparations. The restaurant itself is small, with only 12 or 13 tables. Many of the patrons appeared to be regulars as the proprietors appeared to know many of them. The menu features a couple entrees, a couple plats, and a couple dessert items. With such a small menu we were able to sample nearly everything offered. They feature various arrangements of entrees, plats, and desserts for fixed prices of 20 to 30 euros. The wine list was affordable as well - we had a bottle of nice Alsace Riesling for 17 euros. While not bargain food, when compared to the standard generic dishes from most of the tourist restaurants this was a very reasonable price.

The best part was the food. You can tell that with such a small menu they can really concentrate on preparing their dishes well. We had shrimp skewers, sea bass, roasted chicken, sweet potato puree, roasted artichokes, and baked pears with caramel ice cream! It was terrific and i'll definitely put this place on my list of favorite places in Paris.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

My husband and I have been coming to Paris regularly since 1992 so to designate this our favorite after years of going to many, many restaurants pretty much says it all. The chef, Rudy, has a deft touch spicing the food....the last time here I had lamb satay...it was one of my 10 best meals of all time! My husband loves scallops and that was his memorable choice. The dessert souffle was superb, light, airy and sky high. Marie Pierre, the hostess, speaks wonderful English and has a delightful sense of humor. When I asked her if she minds American customers she replied with a sweet smile, "I prefer" (them)...but I suspect because she is so gracious, she would say that to all who come to their restaurant.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

My husband and I were walking down a randomly chosen side-street toward the Eiffel Tower to get a view of it at night, when it suddenly started raining...we ducked into this restaurant and could not believe our good luck! It was the BEST meal of our trip to Paris. Everything we ordered was amazing. Next time we're in Paris, we will be back!

2  Thank lck823
Reviewed 6 February 2010

My husband and I tripped upon this restaurant during our second of two nights in Paris. We walked around the 7th, where we were staying, looking for something just right. We settled on La Folle Avoine because there were just a few couples in the place, but only couples, all looked like locals and the place was quiet. We also like small menus, so that we don't have to make too much of a decision. ;)

What a find. The food was unbelievably delicious and the owner/waitress was so kind and sweet. She spoke only French, but was patient enough with my only-passable French. She was sweet enough to try to warn us about the 'foie gras' trying to point out that is was actual duck livers on toast. Oh, my, goodness. How exquisite. With an apple chutney that was indescribable. I had the duck, husband had the crawfish on pasta. We ordered a pinot noir from the small wine menu, which grew on us during the meal. The fondant chocolate was truly the best I have ever had.

The photo on the wall of the Brooklyn Bridge, which we didn't notice until we were well settled in, was an amazing touch. I asked her why she had it - she pointed out that her brother had taken in and that she, too, had been to New York and loves it. I found that affirming that she didn't dislike America or Americans, which is how one can often feel in France. It was especially nice, being in a restaurant that was clearly a 'local' place.

This restaurant was the best experience of our trip to France this time. I would go back to this restaurant again and again and will tell everyone about it.

3  Thank SeenAlot