“Wonderful restaurant on a beautiful street corner”
Review of Cafe Varenne

Cafe Varenne
Ranked #367 of 16,978 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Cafe, European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
edinburgh
“Wonderful restaurant on a beautiful street corner”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I love Rue du Bac: it's a gorgeous stroll from the Seine right up to Bon Marche passing little independent shops which are lovely. And there is the Cafe de Varennes. Buzzing and busy and friendly. It is a French style bistro with comfortable seats and on street tables. The waiters are smart in black and white.
There's a large menu and then there are daily specials. We shared a pate starter with toasted sourdough bread from the baker across the road at 7.50 euros and I then had the cod, beautifully cooked and served with steamed chopped courgette and tomatoes with olive oil and herbs at €19. It was gorgeous. Service is efficient and very pleasant. my partner had the duck with sauté potatoes. We then shared a St Marcellan cheese at €9 which was creamy and in its own pot.
The smart patron gave me a contact number for his Morgon, a beautiful fruity Beaujolais which we thought excelled. A kind gesture.
There is no set lunch menu which is a pity but do not let this out you off.
There are always policemen on the street corner because of nearby government offices.
Excellent quality and lovely decor.

1 Thank miss-garnet

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
“Great lunch spot on Rue du Bac”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Seven of us turned up unannounced and only had a 5 minute wait to be seated. Very friendly and helpful staff. I had the confit duck with sauteed potatoes, which was excellent. My daughter said the chocolat chaud was the best she had tasted. Definitely worth a visit when visiting the Rue du Bac - which is great street to wander along for window shopping and food shops!

Prague, Czech Republic
“Memorable experience!”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The words of so many others are true! This cafe is exceptional for its food, atmosphere, service, and entertainment à la Eric! He is an experience like no other! Charming, friendly, gracious, and above all, you can see how much he enjoys interacting with people. He makes everyone feel at home from the minute you walk inside. Excellent place to go whether you're in the mood for coffee, dessert, lunch, or dinner. You will not forget it and will look forward to returning again soon! I have been coming for years!

Merida
“A Foodies Find - simply sublime!”
Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

My friend and I chanced into this quaint cafe for lunch. We were met with the nicest smile and wait 5 minutes! The place was packed with French people, so we knew we were in the right spot. I had the cote of veal. It was tender and had a light extremely delicious sauce. I wanted some French fries, so he brought them to me as a substitute, without question. The red wine he suggested was wonderful. The place was noisy and charming and fast paced. I loved the energy
My friend had the salmon with lentils, also good. We hear the roast chicken is a big hit and plan to go back! A wonderful French experience. One I will remember!

1 Thank SFKdesigns
Irvine, California
“Capped our Barefoot Contessa Journey”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The lemon tart was outstanding. We enjoyed the roast chicken which came with salad and fries. We felt like ina dining there.

Visited January 2012