“Wonderful”

Ranked #3,765 of 17,628 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

This was a spectacular dining experience (and from the conversation I heard around me, others shared my satisfaction).

I went here alone on a Saturday evening. Started with a glass of champagne, and they brought some nice sausage to the table also. From there I had a steak, which was cooked perfectly and topped with seasoned butter, small potatoes on the side. With this I had a delicious glass of Bordeaux red. To finish, I had some delicious caramel ice cream (served with a nice crisp on the side) and a cognac.

A meal this good in Rome (with three different beverages) would have cost more, and I think it must have been a very good value for Paris. Next time I am in Paris I will certainly return here.

The owner was most hospitable and his waitress extremely friendly and attentive, also quite proficient in English.

The menu changes daily according to the day's shopping.

This restaurant is not to be missed.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Ate here our first night in Paris and it was one of our very best meals of our whole trip! Delightful owner and server who traded english with our french. A quiet night for them meant doting service for us and a thoroughly pleasurable reintroduction to real french food and hospitality. Not to be missed! Menu was local foods, freshly prepared and appeared to be changing daily...we based our further restaurant selections in France on this night's experience - no more than fifteen tables & chalkboard menu a must !

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Excellent service, fresh simple food with the best ingredients, and very reasonable prices. We were in the mood for a quick (meaning an hour) meal that wasn't heavy and was close to our apartment. We shared the mâché and beetroot salad, a bottle of Sancerre and had both the carpaccio and the cured salmon plate. It was lovely! Friendly service, very comfortable, very low key. Off the beaten path.

1  Thank amandakr
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I agree with most of the visitors: This is a hell of a "bistrot de quartier", a place mostly for locals who, upon arrival, greet the people in one or more tables. Aside from the good and well cared food, the soul of the house was Hugues, the incomparable owner. Today, because of a wrong number phone call, I learned that the house was sold, but nothing is going to change. I hope so. Well, my las visit was in january and Hugues was there. I am eager to visit the house in my next visit to Paris, wishing the best for the future of this lovely place.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

From starters averaging 9 euros, the range of selections is one that appeals to many tastes. From fresh haricots verts to poivron to Lyonnaise saucisson, lovely small salads: mache betterave, rucola with large slices of parmesan, etc... at just the right size for a starter. It comes quickly but without pushing.

Main plates range from chicken in vinegar, beef, kidneys, fish and foie. Prices ranging from 18 to 22 euros. Perfect, simple preparation, superb ingredients. Each main comes with potatoes similar to dauphinoise, smothered in cream and a perfect (rich) accompaniment.

The restaurant is small (reservations highly recommended) and tastefully simple. Just the place to come for great food, good prices in a relaxed ambiance. The owner is charming, lovely and welcoming. A quintessentially French food evening. Nothing stuffy, absent of "attitude". Just good food and gracious staff.

Desserts again meet varied tastes, if there is room left. Wine fairly priced. Fast (but not too fast) service with lovely, charming French politesse. They have my vote and I can't wait to return.