“Interesting combination Japaneese and French”
Review of Le Clarisse - CLOSED

Le Clarisse
Cuisines: French, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Switzerland
“Interesting combination Japaneese and French”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We went there by pure coincidence as we were visiting invalides in Paris. The food was perfectly nice presented and explained to us. Our Teens got a more simple plate with potatoes and fish that trhy liked a lot. I found very good that the idea of serving something special for our kids came from the personnell. We ate the menu and were very satisfied. The atmosphere was ok, the music tape a little bit boaring because it was the same 3 songs all the 2 hours that we where there.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Kathy019

Hong Kong, China
“Amazing food, slightly boring ambience”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The food at Le Clarisse is fabulous. If the atmosphere in the restaurant was a little lighter and less stuffy I'd go back!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank bubblensqueek
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Sexy venue, enticing menu prose, and wretched food.”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Expectations were high for a dinner during a week in Paris between Christmas and New Year's based on several online website reviews. Spirits were heightened by the hip-contemporary furnishings, with some soothing technopop playing at just above the threshold of hearing, and the enticing menu items promising a fusion of French and Asian cuisines. But then the food came.

A baby pumpkin appetizer with foam, flavored with pork belly and chocolate pepper (19 Euro) was in fact a baby pumpkin filled with the blandest puree of what could have passed as baby food, with a flavorless scum on top with a few specks of some likewise inert dark substance. My wife's seared foie gras with bouillon (23 Euro) was a nicely seared if small portion of foie gras totally debased by plunking it in tepid bland broth with some tough braised veggies in the bottom of the bowl, ruining the sear and expected textural contrast. There really were no unique flavors in the bowl. It was an exercise in manual dexterity to eat the foie gras in the deep bowl in which it was served.

The pheasant at 39 Euro (a signature dish, see below) was perhaps 3 ounces of mushy fowl, with gelatinous skin, again devoid of any of the Asian flavors so tantalizingly promised by the menu.

Not to be outdone, I had the wild boar with wasabi crust (38 Euro). Two pieces of oddly textured tepid purple flesh were enshrined with a curiously textured thin crust that held no flavor or interest, surrounded by a tablespoon of anonymous brown sauce. The meat had a peculiar taste, that was unlike any wild game I have had, either in a restaurant or in a home meal. I did not finish the dish, a rare event for dedicated eaters such as we.

The maitre d'/head waiter anxiously asked how we had enjoyed the meal as we elected to pass on dessert and asked for the check. We tried to honestly but tactfully dodge the question by just saying we found the dishes a bit bland for our tastes. Nothing would do though, but that the major domo, in an unnecessary act of passive aggression dragged the Asian chef out of the kitchen to discuss/defend his cuisine - the coup de grace to the evening. My wife speaks excellent French, and the discussion was cordial. It appears the kitchen focuses on sous vide cooking, which would explain the steam table quality of the food, but not the woefully underseasoned final products. The pheasant was reported by the chef as one of the most popular dishes on the menu.

The wine list is Bordeaux-centric; sakes are heavily featured. We had two glasses of champagne at 15 Euro each, and a good Savigny les Beaune 1er cru that was aggressively priced at 75 Euro.

The service was just the maitre d' and one other server, who appeared fairly new to the high-end restaurant scene (she helpfully pointed out upon presentation of the pheasant, that, indeed, the two round green items were brussel sprouts, and (quell surprise!) the two exotic orange objects were carrots). The overall effect was oily, condescending and inept.

The final straw in this saga were the punishing prices for such poor cuisine. At 224 Euro (admittedly 105 was the bar tab) for two courses, it was embarrassing and enraging to leave feeling underfed with profoundly mediocre food.

Overall, maybe we just had bad luck in ordering, but I think this is a classic example of a high end tourist restaurant extortion. Be warned.

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank Greenway1951
York, United Kingdom
“Interesting food and nice ambience.”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We had originally booked a different restaurant in this district but couldn't find it so stumbled across this place by chance.
The host was very gracious and found us a table even though we hadn't booked. All the waiting staff spoke good english and were very polite and efficient throughout the evening.
The menu appeared to have oriental and french influences, these were combined very well. The food was delightful and well presented. The main course of 2 seperate dishes of duck was a new (and good) experience. I would certainly recommend this restaurant to others and would probably re-visit if I went to Paris again.
The menu is available to view on there website.

• Visited December 2011
Sydney, Australia
“Some of the most beautiful plates of food I've ever seen”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Dined with friends, none of whom had been to this restaurant before and we weren't disappointed. One of the men is vegetarian and the chef put together quite possibly the most stunning plate of vegetables I've ever seen in my life... The colours and design were simply breathtaking. Our waitress was fabulous - she was so friendly and helpful and her english was faultless (thankfully, as my french is not). The food also tasted amazing. I had the squid ink cannelloni to start, the rabbit for main and then chocolate to finish. The only disappointment was that I didn't take any photos! Will definitely be back next time I'm in Paris.

• Visited August 2011