“Small, busy place with great food and service”
Review of Pho Tai

Pho Tai
Ranked #824 of 17,739 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$11 - US$19
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Place d'Italie / Quartier Asiatique
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

The place is quite small and seems to be quite popular with Asians. The service was great; they didn't have a veggie option on the menu, but were happy to make something on request. The spring rolls were very good, and they made one vegetarian as well. The pho is very tasty and the portions are generous. Not the cosiest place ever, but good value for money.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I spent a lot of time trawling through the reviews with the hope of finding where was best to eat some good viet in Paris. My mother, who used to own 3 Chinese restaurants spent a part of her life in Vietnam, and she made wicked viet food. I had a hankering for some viet today. I was desperate to find a good place that would sufficiently extinguish the inferno of viet craving.
I came across Pho Tai (so aptly named) and noticed one of the reviews had been written by a Melbournian who frequented Richmond a lot. This could only mean one thing. If they think the viet is good, then it's got to be pretty good. The viet food in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia is pretty freaking good.
Upon entering the small restaurant, I was met by the waitress who sat me down and handed me the menu. I ordered an entree of Cha Gio (crispy spring rolls), a small sized Pho Tai (beef noodle soup), and a Ca Phe Sua Da (viet iced white coffee).
A good sign about the restaurant, first things first, the owner speaks viet! Actually, she's a talent, speaking Viet, Cantonese, Mandarin and French!
The food and drink came quickly. The spring rolls came as they should, with mint, lettuce leaves and Nuoc Mam (LOVE fish sauce!). The heat of the spring roll inside the coolness of those lettuce leaves is fantastic! The Pho was tasty, albeit a bit on the salty side. I noticed that kristiansvensson mentioned that something about the broth didn't taste right. I would say it could be due to the fact that it maybe a bit on the oily side, a bit too salty, too much onion and a bit too much star anise in it. While it came with the sprouts, mint and lemon wedge, I am used to viet mint (tastes different to the standard mint) and some hoisin sauce on the side. Though, I would say this broth didn't need the hoisin as it was already packed with flavour. The iced coffee was also nice, though had a slightly different taste than what I am used to back at home.
After my meal, which I couldn't finish as it was a lot of food, I went to pay for the bill. It totaled 13 euro 30. For such a feed, it was good value. The man at the counter had asked the lady boss for small change since I passed over a note. Understanding Cantonese, I told her I had small change and she was so excited to hear me speak Canto that she burst into a massive conversation with me. She was extremely friendly and a very pleasant lady.

All in all, this was a good meal. Though some might want to drink some water during the meal because of the intensity of the Pho broth.

There was only one unpleasant experience to my meal. It was the guy next to me who slurped his soup and smacked his lips so loudly as he chewed with his mouth open, and who used his fork like a shovel. I wish I had been seated further away from him. But in such small confines, it would be impossible to sit anywhere without hearing him go away at it. So be prepared to sit close to someone who may not have the best of table manners :)

Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

You get a lot of food when you order a phone but there is something with the broth that doesn't taste right. Go to pho 14 instead.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is probably the BEST pho I;ve had anywhere in the world! My friend in Paris introduced this little restaurant to me and I always make it a point to drop in for a meal (or two) when I'm in town. I always order their special pho, which comes with a slightly spicy soup. Their servings are really huge and satisfying, and always always delicious. It's real comfort food when the temperatures drop! I've brought a friend from America here as well, and she loved it too. At 8 euros per bowl, this is excellent value in Paris.

I won't hesitate to recommend this to anyone, unless you're squeamish about eating 'weird' parts like tendons and tripe, or watching other people eat these things. But even then you could always just order the pho that comes with brisket pieces. The staff are lovely too, and always remember you and make it a point to come over and chat when they have a moment to spare.

P.S. They have opened another branch just across the road, called Pho Tai Tai. :)

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I had never known about this Vietnamese restaurant till I worked in the area.
Usually I always sticked to Avenue d'Ivry or Avenue de Choisy for Vietnamese food.
What is special in Pho Tai is the delicacy of food.
For ex fresh spring rolls (rouleaux de printemps) are exquisite, thanks to the hot beef inside.
Chicken is extremely tender, rice is nicely perfumed.
We can even order dishes not on the menu, depending on the chef's inspiration. I had "Poulet a l'Africaine" more than once (yes, this is a Vietnamese restaurant :)
You will enjoy your time at Pho Tai.

2  Thank needlehill