“Great Nepali food!”
Review of Sagar Matha

Sagar Matha
Reserve with
Save up to 40% when you reserve online *
Sagar Matha is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,809 of 18,471 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Indian, Tibetan, Nepalese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Being of Nepali heritage I have started to dine in Nepali restaurants on holiday. Coming from England I have always been spoiled for great south asian cuisine with many great restaurants to choose from, however my experience on the continent has been rather disappointing. This restaurant however is an exception to my previous statement.

I found the quality of the food here to be excellent, with a my dish (Lamb Jalfrezi) having a very rich and full flavour. To my delight I found the meat to be of very high quality and was tender and juicy. I had pillau rice with peas and the special Sagar Matha stuffed naan bread (stuffed with cheese and topped with coriander) as sides. The pillau rice was well cooked with delicate complimentary flavours and the naan bread was very soft and tasty.

The service was very good and the wait between ordering and our meal arriving was very reasonable (it was a little busy). The waiter was very friendly and very knowledgeable. The restaurant itself has a nice vibe about it, and was nicely decorated. The waiter and I even had a very nice conversation after I exposed my Nepali ancestry.

As a little side note I do want to mention if you are used to generous english portions of curry, be aware that although I found the portions to be adequate they are a lot smaller than your average english curry house. This is the case if every other south asian restaurant I have visited in Europe and this place is no exception. This is not a criticism but more of a statement of fact to be aware of.

To finish I would very much recommend this restaurant! This place is far from average as some of the other reviews might have you believe! If you are in Paris or staying nearby do visit this restaurant!!!

1  Thank nannycool

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Food quality high. Service very good. Speed of service just about right. An enjoyable experience which I hope to repeat.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Some evenings you look for a nice and quiet place to have a dinner with friend where you can chat and enjoy a good meal. I love curry but sometimes it is too spicy for some people.
This place was nice, quiet and the meal was really good. They provide spicy sauces on the side instead to be in the meal so everybody can decide how spicy he wants to eat.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Compared to English indian restaurants, this fell way short for taste and range, but for the typical indian restaurants in France, it wasn't too bad. Pricing was reasonable, service was quite quick.

We had a cheese / garlic nan (they didn't have Keema that day) , and the cheese tasted like it was a dairly lee slice in the middle. I wouldn't have that again, and it ddin't go with the food. We had just one dry popadum as an 'wecome' aperatif, but the sauces didn't come till we were eating the starter.

Maybe wasn't spicy enough, but the Rogan Josh lamb was very nice and i can recomend that.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Just round the corner from the Mercure XV hotel so convenient for a quick bite. Food nicely prepared, with fresh ingredients. Curry tasty but you will need to ask for extra heat if you are used to UK curry houses - I asked for hot and got medium ...

Starters around €6-8, mains around €10-14