“What a dump.”

Hotel de Paris Montmartre
Ranked #1,471 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Hmmm where to begin...
It shows the Ibis is rated 2 stars on the door. That unfortunately is a 200% over rating.
If you think paying 70 euros for a noisy room without air conditioning is a good deal...
I should mention that this was the second of four Ibises we stayed at. The others were acceptable to exceptional. I'll review them separately.
We travelled to Paris with a group of veterans. As many were on fixed incomes, cost was an issue. The Ibis Montmartre is located in a less than desirable part of Paris. Police vehicles regularly patrol the area. It is a dirty, gritty area. There are obvious signs of many people living on the street. One of our group had his wallet stolen and the thieves used the wallet contents to rifle his room. Coincidentally,the video surveillance equipment was not working when the theft occurred.
As the rooms use a combination number for access and the gentleman hadn't memorized the number , it was in his wallet.
Anyway, for the Ibis, No keys. No card. Exiting the crowded (with noisy students on vacation) slow elevator, you punch your code in and enter.
The room we had makes spartan look like luxury.
No phone. No AC. A TV with a few channels. Only 2 English ones. Volume limited to about 30%. Barely enough to drown out the drunken, rowdy students partying on the roof until the wee hours.
While the Ibis Montmartre does indeed have a washroom en suite (vs a communal one) it does not have a toilet seat! Gentlemen, either aim well or the little lady will be annoyed.
The toilet door squeaked so loudly it woke one of us up when the other went to use the washroom.
The bed was HARD! I'm not normally one to gripe about a rack, after all it's only there for a few hours sleep, but this one was exceptionally hard.
So to recap: no AC on a hot July night. Can't open the window because of noisy, inconsiderate kids. Oh well at least the breakfast is included, right ?
Yes and no. If you lose or forget your ticket, a surly attendant will, with as little grace as possible, point to a sign saying no ticky no brekky. No suggestion on how to fix the problem. Move on.
So, the next morning, ticket in hand, we go to the restaurant. We pass the same surly gate guardian and get some continental breakfast. So far so good. Then a gentleman in our group made the mistake of going into a reserved area. One small sign with one line of english was all that marked the area. No rope, nothing. He was immediately set upon by another surly, loud attendant. This one very impolitely told the older (non french speaking gentleman) to leave. When he didn't respond she made a gesture (finger to head) and said he was crazy. She also used inappropriate language. His lack of response (I guess the woman thought the louder she shouted the more comprehending the gentleman would be ) caused her to call security. All this for entering the wrong area. You'd think he'd tried to rob the place.
Anyway those are the lowlights of our visit.
Bottom Line: avoid it like the plague.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank PitaandTita

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had booked for 1 night's stay here via booking.com for 68euros for a weekend night. The manager was pleasant during check in. Upon stepping into the room, we were hit by a funky, musky smell. The toilet had mould in the grooves and smelt terrible. Bed was comfy but there were a few stains on it and coupled with the funky carpet, did not feel clean or put you at ease. Location was the only plus, as it was near the Place de Clichy train station.

The main problem happened the next morning when we decided to stay on one more night as we had a change of plans and did not have enough time to look for another hotel as check out was at 10am. For convenience sake, we decided to suck it up and stay on. We proceeded to call the reception to extend. They mentioned that it was 78euros. However, I assumed it would be the same price as before. Hence I checked booking.com again and found that they were still a few rooms available at 68euros. Not a big difference, yes. But I found it strange, so I went down to reception to ask further. The manager looked at me and asked which booking site this was. I stupidly answered. Going back to his computer screen, I could see him managing the "availability" of several sites including booking.com, and expedia. and I saw him clicking away and cancelling the booking.com one. I was shocked. Was he cancelling the availability of rooms on booking.com before my very eyes? He then looked right back at me and said "no, I don't see anymore rooms available." Stunned and finding it hard to believe, I used my phone to refresh the page and confirming my suspicions, there on the very same page that I was on just one minute ago, flashed "no rooms available for your requested date".

I could have easily booked the hotel online first before informing reception but it just didn't occur to me that they would be dishonest like that just to earn a slightly higher rate. Plus, as you have to leave your room key with reception when you leave the hotel, I would seriously worry for the safety of my belongings in the room considering such blatant dishonesty.

Don't book this hotel, don't support the wrongdoings and morally unethical behavior of this greedy and opportunistic manager. I am very sure you can find somewhere cleaner for a similar price anyway. Look elsewhere, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very close to Place de Clichy, a connection to many metro lines around Paris, a cosy neighborhood close to many nice restaurants. The rooms are bigger than most 2-star hotels around Paris, and they are well organized and clean. The only minus is the greedy receptionist, who charged me at check-in, as the breakdown of rooms dropped a lot.. I didnt mind until a friend wanted to check in 1 day later, and he charged him 80 euros while the internet price was 58 euros. A false fire alarm went on at 6am, due to malfunction. No safe at the room, although it stated that there was one

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank geto_dam
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Very nice, simple, clean and central hotel. No fridge. If you want to know Paris, that is in a very good location. Few steps to subway, bars, markets, 300/400 meters to moulin rouge. Room cleaned every day.

Room Tip: back rooms very quiet. Front rooms no idea, but it is near street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GuiWolf
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Great location close to Moulin Rouge, English-speaking friendly staff. Hotel is clean, room cleaned every day. Stayed there for 7 nights, rooms are small but big enough if you are out all day! It is a perfect budget hotel, great for people interested in sightseeing more than relaxing in hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DamoHanna
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 2 nights, rooms are not cleaned properly after 1st day, insects in the room, unfriendly receptionist, no AC (if you are staying in the summer), you can hear your next room pretty much, their tv and talks and even opening their door feels like opening your own door. I prefer to pay little bit extra next time and stay in a better hotel, it's overpriced for what you are getting.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed in there while ago. First- overpriced. Second - the room. Where to start.. Ok, we were put in a room OUTSIDE the main building, where rubbish was kept, mops and other stuff, it looked like a toolshed made into a room, there was NO CARPET, tiles in whole 'room' (tiny btw), whichmade it super cold. Beds soo uncomfortable, no duvet, just dirty stained throws, stains on sheets, stains on pillows, bed also on wheelss, which made impossible to lean on the bed. Bathroom filthy, stains on towels (worn out to the max), not enough shower gel, toilet paper etc. Third- location. Shady. Central tho, close to the metro. Fourth- staff. Barerly english speaking, ignorant, not nice at all. Ffith- breakfast. Uh, I cant say it wasnt tasty, but 1 croissant and cup of coffe wouldnt make you full. The olnly thing i can say about this hotel is - avoid!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple