“Fantastic Valentines Day dinner”
Review of Comme a Savonnieres - CLOSED

Comme a Savonnieres
Price range: US$32 - US$63
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Had one of our best dinners in Paris here. Charming old space, tiny but comfortable. Very friendly service and the food was an absolute 10.
Will absolutely return here someday. (I hope!)

1  Thank JMCCM

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We recently spent a few nights in the St. Germain area and dined at several restaurants along Rua Guisarde and this was our favourite.

We arrived around 7.45pm to a half full restaurant and were given a table as walk-ins. Staff were very friendly, attentive and there was just enough table space to enjoy conversation along with our dinner.

For our meal we tried the foie gras with toast and chutney that was very nice. The chutney was a bit strong but it complimented the foie gras well and made this a very enjoyable entree (rating 4 of 5).

For mains, we had the tuna crusted in sesame that was just lovely, a very well prepared and delicious steak, one we would happily order over and over again (rating 4.5 of 5). We also sampled the veal liver in creamy mushroom sauce, served with sweet bread. This was a nice dish as well. The mushroom sauce was rich and flavourful and the veal liver tasted fine (rating 3.25 of 5).

Being very pleased with our entree and mains, we decided to try the chocolate soufflé for dessert. Again, another very good serving, the soufflé was filled with rich chocolate sauce and served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. It was most enjoyable (rating 4.25 of 5), and ended a most enjoyable dining experience at Comme a Savonnieres.

Based on our dining experience, this would happily recommend Comme a Savonnieres to those staying in this area of St. Germain.

4  Thank BradJill
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is a small bistrot in Saint-Germain near the Jardin de Luxembourg. There are many lovely shops nearby. The interior is charming and cozy. The food is excellent with interesting options to choose from. I had the half cooked tuna in sesame on Topinampur purree and it was very good. I was recommended to pick the Profiterolles dessert by a friend and have to say that the portion was too big. It was one big profiterolle on top of what seemed like half a litre of chocolate sauce and a huge splash of whipped cream. On the other hand the Cafe Gourmand, small varieties of desserts, looked great. Altogether I would definetly eat here again.

1  Thank GlobalNomad V
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The first thing that hits you is that the place is very tight on space. This is the same in all of the Paris Bistros we ate in.
Once seated however we were very comfortable here.

We found the staff to be friendly and the service was good.

But Its the food that made this meal one that we shall remember:
We wanted to give Escargot a try so we shared the Escargot Entrée first.
The snails were served on a bruschetta with a delicious tomato based sauce and a pea puree.. We both thought it was a beautiful dish and that plate went back to the kitchen clean!

My wife had the Tuna carpaccio for her entrée. Fantastic, melt in your mouth slices of tuna.

I had a pork terrine which was good also.

For our mains:
I enjoyed a slow cooked Pork cheek that was the most tender piece of meat I have ever eaten. My wife had the Chicken with morels and a chestnut sauce. The chestnut sauce is beautiful, but quite rich and maybe the dish could do with less on the plate.

The recommended wine, a red wine from the LoireValley called Chinon, was light and excellent.

We finished with a plate of cheese...

All Good and left very satisfied and happy.

1  Thank niallgilmartin
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

The bistro is small with a limited menu. My wife ordered entrecote medium to well, and I ordered tounge. The entrecote was near raw to medium after the second time it was grilled, and the tounge was from a part that was only partly edible.
Wife couldnot eat the meat, I ate half of what was on the plane.
Apart from that, all next day we both had an unpleasant stomach feeling, we must have had some kind of sickness which we attributed to whatever we ate.
We have visited several countries in different continents, and I am always daring in trying local food. My digestive system is quite sturdy.
To cut the story short, one of the worst restaurant experinces we had.

1  Thank alpha2008