“High hopes... not what I had hoped though.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2,201 of 16,718 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$16 - US$23
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Opera / Bourse
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“High hopes... not what I had hoped though.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I found Pates Vivantes after doing a search for unique things to do in Paris. After seeing the explanation, I couldn't wait to surprise my wife with my findings... living noodles, dinner and show...

We finally found the restaurant after a bit of searching, and walked in to an unimpressive setting. It was a quite crowded little space with an upstairs. After waiting to be received, which never happened, we asked if we could head upstairs to find a seat, which they allowed. I only asked to sit upstairs because I was hoping there was more action going up there since there was very little noodle-making madness going on downstairs.

To my chagrine, upstairs had nothing of the sort. We found a seat and waited for service, and again, were sorely disappointed. The waitress was far from helpful, terribly uninterested, and made no effort in making us feel comfortable. Mind you, neither of us speak good French or Chinese, but some sort of courtesy would have been nice.

We both ordered noodle bowls, which were not bad, decently spiced, but nothing too impressive. The noodles, however, were indeed delicious. The bowls could have used more flavor in the meats and sauces, and the prices were high for such simple dishes. It seems such is the case with most French restaurants on this trip though.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Barcelona, Spain
“Nice, but not amazing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had heard great things about this place and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The place is very lively, and I loved being able to see the preparation of the noodles, the kneading and rolling is quite a show! The portions are huge and thus good value for money but not as tasty as I had expected. We ordered a few starters which were small, but fresh and tasty. The noodle dishes were actually like two portions each, but unfortunately a bit bland and boring. The place was super busy and the stuff a bit stressed but overall a nice experience

• Visited October 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“les pates vivantes not so vivant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We went out of our way to find les pates vivantes (there are several streets bearing the name "faubourg" in the marais district.) The scent of sesame oil + star anise gave us high hopes, but I have to say, we were quite disappointed with what we ordered. I ordered the sautéed noodles + veg + chicken, my husband ordered the sautéed noodles + veg + beef. The noodles were ample and nicely drenched in sauce, but there were very few vegetables, and the meat was bland...both the chicken and the beef could definitely have been improved with marination and/or a good deep braise. Juxtaposed with the saucy noodles, the meat just tasted bland and boiled. Asian flavours are always right with a balance of sweet, salty, sour, spicy...and somehow the vibrance and balance just wasn't there. I grew tired of eating the noodles without a generous enough counterpoint of vegetables and flavourful meat. I kept thinking that a slight hint of sour and some ginger and coriander would have helped. We agree with the comments from others regarding service. We ordered well in advance of a table that was seated after us. They received their food well before us and we were just given a sharp directive to wait. But, it was fun to watch the noodlemaker shave the noodles. At 12 euros per dish, it was over-priced...but we have to remember this is Paris.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank poppyandlily
San Francisco, California
“Chinese food, reasonable priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Dying for Chinese food after a week of French. Small, busy restaurant. Staff only speaks French and Mandarin Chinese (and very little English). Menu had pictures and I was able to order pot stickers and noodle soup. Both were very good. Accepts credit card for amounts over 15 euros. Very fast service. AC is on low so it was a little warm upstairs. I had spicy noodles so was sweating in my business attire.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TChan80
Espoo, Finland
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Excellent hand made noodles. Big dishes and lots of taste, food was so good we had to come back another day.

• Visited June 2013