“Great for budget-conscious travelers”
Review of Solar Hotel

and 1 more site!
Solar Hotel
Ranked #944 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was my first time here and I will be back! Clean, comfortable, and ideally located. A typical French breakfast is included (croissant, baguette, juice & coffee/tea/cocoa) which I appreciated. The staff was always friendly and willing to answer my multiple questions. The hotel was full during my 5-night say so there was lots of activity (the walls are quite thin). There were much needed renovations going on in the hotel which I look forward to seeing. My room faced the street which was a bit too loud for me being a light sleeper. A garden-view room may be more peaceful. Overall, a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2014

An ecologically-minded hotel, run with enthusiasm. It might not be everyone's choice (for example, because they are ecologically minded they don't change the towels every day), but we really enjoyed our stay and appreciated the friendliness and competence of the staff. There is a flat rate for a double room and everything (including breakfast) is included in that - so you know exactly where you are. The room and bathroom were compact but clean and quite comfortable. We had to alter our dates and this problem was most efficiently and understandingly dealt with. The situation is ideal - handy to the metro and RER (Denfert-Rochereau) and handy to a lively pedestrian street where you can buy wonderful cheeses and other things to take home. The area feels quite safe and there are several sensibly-priced places to eat within a short walk. This hotel seems (deservedly) popular, and you would be well advised to book well in advance.

Room Tip: The main building has a lift - I'm not quite sure about the annexe. If you have a front room ove...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and me stayed here a couple of years ago while in Paris. The room we had was actually quite big and I would call this a solid 3 star property by U.S.standards. The price is affordable for a hotel in Paris (around 79 euro).

The soap in the bathroom were tiny so I would recommend bringing your own soap, shampoo and even a towel.

It is located near a pedestrian zone with a produce shop so you can buy some things you might need nearby. There is also a metro stop located nearby in the Denfort area.

Room Tip: They have 2 room locations but they decide which one you get once you are there. Doesn't seem to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ron114
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I spent 5 nights at this hotel. My room was in Hotel Lionceau, the other building, round the corner on rue Dageurre. This is a little pedestrian street, full of cafes and bars, restaurants and food shops. The noise level at night was not a problem for me, even though I was directly above a cafe which closes at about midnight. The room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean.
The cost of a room is 69 euros, which is amazingly good for Paris. I was travelling on my own, so for two people in a room it’s one of the best bargains around! This includes a good continental breakfast - tea or coffee, fruit juice, baguette, best croissants I've ever eaten, jam.
The staff at reception were friendly and welcoming. The people in the breakfast room were friendly. There is an all-round good atmosphere.
And, don’t forget - 69 euros! In Paris!! In a really nice location!!! Montparnasse is non-touristy, fascinating, worth wandering around and checking out.
I look forward to going back again, and not just because it’s cheap. Thank you, Solar, for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If you think the sounds from the street below will be a problem, mention this when booking.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Luminaria42
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The location in Montparnasse was great. The room was small but clean, and the hotel works very hard to stay eco-friendly. You must be in good shape - we climbed 5 flights of stairs each time to our room. And breakfast never changes, so you have to be willing to have a croissant and bread every day or buy breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: Our room on the 5th floor let you stand outside. Not a common feature on the front.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carla V
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed there on 2 separate stays. One of 8 nights and another one of 2 nights. We were in the main building. On our first stay the room was facing the street and on the second stay it was facing the courtyard. The courtyard room was much more quieter.
Here are the pros:
Location - Price - The bed is confortable - The staff is friendly.
Here are the cons:
This hotel is filthy, except the bed linens. The towels are almost rags. The breakfast is very repetives, always the same items: croissants, baguettes, jam (only 2 kinds) and juice (always the same one). Coffee, tea or hot-chocolate. The rooms are tiny, however in Paris it's not rare!!. The water pression in the shower comes from boiling hot to freezing cold in matter of seconds. The shower gel/shampoo is the poorest quality you can get. The air conditioning works only when the manager decides to.
This property needs a makeover. A fresh coat of paint, new carpets, new towels. I'm sure if they would charge 89EUR per night they could still make a deal by upgrading their amenities.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the backyard.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jojo2005
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed in their second hotel around the corner. It is a little noisier than the main building being over a bar, but looks out on the most Parisian street imaginable. When we returned we stayed on the second floor (no lift in this building so better if travelling light) which put us above the noise but still with that wonderful street view. This is the perfect room.
The rooms are quite small but spotless; WiFi is free and the breakfast (Croissant, baguette, jams, juice and coffee) is fresh and good and free.
The staff were all very helpful and the location is perfect. A couple of hundred metres from the RER which runs direct from Charles DeGaulle Airport to this station and the Metro is even closer. You can walk to Notre Dame in less than an hour seeing famous sites all the way.
The area around the hotel is filled with small cafes; there is a supermarket close by and cheese, fruit and wine stores nearby. It is a very safe area. On Sunday there are buskers along the street and a jazz quartet set up opposite our window. I could live here!
So if you don't need a big American tourist hotel but want to get the feel of the real Paris, this is the place to stay. Loved it.

Room Tip: First floor rooms in the Lionceau Hotel can be noisy especially on Friday/Saturday nights. Second f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple