“Nice location, but a tiny, boutique hotel with no frills”

InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau
Ranked #594 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel does have a fairly good location. It is just a couple of blocks from the Champs-Elysees and a couple of blocks from the Arc de Triomphe (which can be seen by walking out the front door and looking right).

The front lobby staff was extremely eager to help us... A little too eager maybe. We were there on holiday, and we packed extremely light due to the fact that we were traveling to multiple cities in three countries over two weeks, and decided not to lug a bunch of bags. We only had one small carry-on and a backpack each. I didn't feel that we needed the bellman's help with our one bag each, but we were heavily pressured to use the bellman, until my wife grew uncomfortable and caved in. I guess they needed the gratuities...

I had booked a room thru IHG (of which I am a platinum member) and i had booked a second room for our friends traveling with us thru another credit card program that just uses a travel agency to book you a room when you cash in points. The latter room was a nicer room than the other, which I realized should have included breakfast, when I thought about it later. The front desk staff nicely gave the better room to our guests, which of course I couldn't say anything about at the time without seeming rude. As it turns out, a higher floor seemed to be the only difference in rooms.

Then we were taken to our room by the bellman AND a front desk person. The front desk person was supposed to lead the way to the room and show us "all of the features", but she couldn't even seem to find it. The bellmen got us there thankfully. After turning in a small circle pointing out the obvious, the awkward moment came for the tips for both people. I don't mind tipping generously for assistance, but this was all unwanted and unnecessary in this case. Oh well, I only coughed up like 8 euro, but still...

While I do realize that most Parisian hotel rooms are small, I figured that the Intercontinental hotel would at least be a little larger due to their asking price/points. Our rooms were absolutely tiny though! We are talking about the size of a cheap cabin on a cruise ship in comparison...

Shortly after arriving and "freshening up", we met our friends out at the bar's patio so they could smoke. There was an occasional very light mist occurring, so I suggested that we ask the staff to put up one of the nearby closed patio umbrellas. Our friends informed me that they had asked the waiter that very question and were rather rudely informed that "these umbrellas are not for rain". Porous fabric would have been more than ample, but whatever. After sitting outside for nearly 15 minutes (with off-duty staff occasionally walking by going to a room off he patio), it became apparent that we were not going to get any further service, and I was thirsty! It was around 2:30pm, and there was only a few customers inside. Our friends had to even go inside to pay for their drinks, even though a waiter had come out to take their order. What service! (This was one of only two times that we had bad service in Paris.)

I declared at that point that we would not spend another euro here, which we did not.

The in-room NesPresso was fantastic! It was not as good as my big espresso maker, but excellent for in-room espresso. The TV had very few channels in English, but no big deal... The rooms were fairly clean. The beds were fairly comfortable with relatively good linens. No pool, spa, etc.

After two nights in our tiny rooms, we moved to the Hyatt Regency by CDG because we had to catch an early flight. The room was just as nice as this Intercontinental's rooms, but 3 times larger, and rather inexpensive!

So for location and in-room espresso, this is a great pick. If you want anything else, keep looking...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank rmjones9
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for such a detailed feedback about your experience at InterContinental Paris Avenue Marceau. This is for us the shortest way to improve our level of service

Our location is considered as very central and propose a very good public transportation service, we are more than please that you enjoyed it.

As being made of 55 rooms and suites only, we always try our best to provide a faithful service and a tailor-made service to our guest. Accept our apologies if it was too much for you.
Be sure our employee wants to build a faithful relationship and don’t “need the gratuities”.

Regarding your comment about the room, we are deeply sorry to read that you did not appreciated the room and its furnitures. As our Cushion sand cover beds are coming from Kenzo, Missoni or Lelièvre, we thought that most of our guests would appreciate these trendy brands

Most of the Parisian Hotels are qualified as Boutique Hotels (less that 100 rooms) and it is true that our room size standard are smaller. All our rooms are different and due to the amenity or the view categories may vary.

One more time, allow me to insure you that tips is only to reward an exceptional service and our staff tries to provide the best service for the happiness of our guests.

Regarding the issue you had at the restaurant allow me to investigate to understand exactly. Our umbrellas are made to protect our guests from the rain but also for the sun. Make sure your comment will be a very good way for us to improve our service.

Thank you very much for the comments about the nespresso machine.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is for sure labeled by mistake as Intercontinental!!! There is no swimming pool, very small bar, one elevator to serve all, and unsafe stairs. The rooms are too too small!! I was upgraded twice they said and that added insult to injury. My room was 3 meter x 3 meter and the bath was inside the room with two sliding walls to make access possible to it. There was only one elevator to serve employees, visitors, room service,....and guests. I had to use the only stair and that was dangerous!! The stair has a spiral shape and the steps are not even. The steps get reduced in size as they go to the center and totally asymmetric. And to make things even worse, steps have metal edges!!! I complained to the management and they confirmed that they had fire drills and none complained before!!! I wondered if they had 80 years old guests during the fire drills before. I do not know how long it will take them and how many injured they would have from the stair itself. In short, it is a chaos waiting to happen.
To be frank, I am a Royal Ambassador member and I love Intercontinental but I felt I was deceived by the name. I was offered luxury and I received a cubicles camping Inn!!!!!
The restaurant and the food was lower than expectation by far. Staff could not help as they can not deliver something they do not have and I consider them unlucky to work there.
I felt unsafe for my parents as they have no choice in case of emergency.
I do not recommend this hotel to anyone specially if you can not jump stairs!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite otherwise you would feel in a grave!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Basel H
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay among us.
Indeed, reading a disappointment from a guest must be considered as a failure in our unique goal which is to provide the best service ever and to keep on how improving it.
Most of the Parisian Hotels are qualified as Boutique Hotels (less that 100 rooms) and it is true that our room size standard are smaller than in Middle East .

We are sorry to learn that you did get the recognition you expected with our loyalty program. We did offer you one double upgrade for one of the room plus all the advantages such as free minibar and pay TV.

We wish you had told the Front Desk that you did not enjoyed the sliding doors of the bathroom because our property offers more than 60% of our rooms with regular doors.

Allow me also to ask you not to communicate pictures which are not relevant of our rooms.
The door you had is a sliding door on your picture it looks to have no doors.

We have to confess that we are very surprised by your comment about the food usually very often rewarded for its taste and subtil flavor.

Once again, we apologize for your disappointment. We always consider this kind of comment as failure in our Goal which is to welcome anyone as a valued guest and make your stay unforgettable

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here unexpectedly after original hotel had problem with our booking. Service and rooms were as expected but service was exceptional.

Only down side was the bar, no atmosphere, over priced and unfortunately poor service. €23 for a G&T. After being told they didn't have a gin that was on the menu (Hendricks) only for it to be served it with a served and with no ice and a lemon. If you don't know how to serve Gin properly you shouldn't offer it. Sorry to sound like such a Gin snob.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David R
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Valued guest,

We would like to thank you very much for your feedback about your stay at Intercontinental Marceau.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the way you have been welcomed by our staff.

Our unique goal is to reach and go over our guest's expecations.

Regarding the Gin, allow me to let you know that I am very surprised as our purchasing manager regularly controls our stock.
We do have 3 gins to offer to our guest The Beefeater Gordon, Tanqueray Bombay Sapphire and the Hendrick’s.
Our drinks as served in order to satisfy our guest on the best way.

Make sure for next time we will serve your gin on your proper way

We all look forward to welcoming you back in summer.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Need to adjust expectations when going to Paris to avoid sticker shock and dissapointment. That being said this hotel was only moderately overpriced which is surprising for Paris and the standards was fairly decent. Everything was new, fresh, clean and tasteful. The staff were incredibly helpful in particular the concierge was fantastic making our arrangements etc. The location is unbeatable and really and truly perfect.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued guest,

We would like to thank you for your recent review

We are very pleased to read that our entire team and especially our concierge team has gone even over your expectations.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our Boutique Hotel because our Unique goal is to wish our guest the warmest welcome in their Home sweet Home in Paris.

We will be very pleased to wish you a warm welcome back for any further occasion you may need.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Planned to spend four nights at the Intercontinental to celebrate my wife's birthday. The location is fantastic, within reasonable walking distance to plenty of Paris' attractions which is why we chose it. Decor is chic and trendy, and the rooms are nicely appointed and quiet considering the area the hotel is in. From the start the staff was courteous and helpful with checking in, getting acquainted with our room, as well as recommending restaurants in the neighborhood for dinner.

Unfortunately for us, my wife was a victim of a pick pocket halfway through our trip, losing both her wallet and passport. This is where the staff at the Intercontinental really demonstrated how great they are. Upon hearing of our issue, the manager spoke to me and was able to help book another night (since we had to extend our stay to wait for the embassy to open on Monday), ensured that we were able to stay in the same room and offered his help in anyway possible with our trip to the embassy to get another passport. Additionally, on my wife's actual birthday, upon returning back to our room after a night out we were greeted by a bottle of ice cold champagne, a box of delicious macarons and a note expressing regret for our incident and wishing my wife a very happy birthday. This small gesture made a world of difference for my wife, who was feeling a little disenchanted with the trip after she was robbed.

All in all, they helped us to make the best out of a bad situation, for which we're forever grateful for. Thanks again to all of the staff who helped make our trip special.

Room Tip: We had an interior room that faced the restaurant courtyard, which provided quiet nights of sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you noticed the changes we have done regarding the set up of the rooms for the birthday of your wife !

Be assured that we will share your compliment about the staff to anyone it may concern.

Our location is indeed considered as very central and propose a very good public transportation service

All our windows have been recently changed and the new process they are mad off is protecting us from any noise coming from the street also. Don’t hesitate to also try our rooms on the Avenue Marceau.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Me and the wife stayed here for one night in Paris, a short romantic getaway to celebrate our 6 month anniversary, we found the hotel perfect for what we needed. We stayed in room 307, pretty sure we had been upgraded from the room booked ( executive room) it was extremely comfortable for Paris, bed, couch , large bathroom, two wardrobes , desk and plenty of carpet. I have stayed in Paris a couple of times and just been able to squeeze around the bed, but this was fantastic. Quite being 2 mins off the main shopping street. There is a small convenience shop across the road. The breakfast was lovely. The only complaint was that we had to ask for ice for out drink 3 times in the evening, and it still didn't come. We stayed here under IHG best price guarantee , so very happy indeed, after not being sure if the would honour a lower price being found after booking, 5* to IHG.

• Stayed: May 2014
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Valued client,

We would like to thank you very much for such a positive review!

Your comments are our greatest rewards and be assured that we will share them with all our departments.

Indeed you have been uprgraded to one of our prestige rooms.

Our location is considered as being very central in Paris for every main area.

We will duly forward your comment about the ice to our Room Service Manager.

Our entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back very soon

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This has to be a best kept secret, what a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location.
From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't do enough for us, we had two rooms, both upgraded, steps away from the main attractions.
We ate in the restaurant and they gave us a 25% discount voucher! that made the food very reasonable for Paris.
Will definitely return

Room Tip: They all looked good to me
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
IC_Paris_Marceau, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Valued guest,

Our unique goal is to reach and go over our guest's expecations.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in summer.