“Fantastic stay”
Review of Mama Shelter Paris

Mama Shelter Paris
Ranked #368 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 9 February 2013

It's not easy to find a hip hotel at an affordable price in Paris. Stayed at the Mama Shelter for 1 night in February 2013. In one word, the stay was just fantastic!

The room was a bit dark, but that's part of the concept. Decoration of the room is very nice and the bed was just the best I ever had (and believe me, I sleep in a lot of hotels). Next to the fantastic bed, the room features a safe, mini bar, imac with free movies, etc.

Meal in the pizzeria was very good, and at affordable prices. Don't forget to spend some time at the bar, great drinks and a nice crowd ;-)

For the breakfast, I can only recommend to take it at a hotel.

One of my favorite hotels in Paris!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Mama Shelter Paris

Reviewed 4 February 2013

This hotel was a joy to stay in. The decor is zany, the staff were super-friendly, efficient and kind. The rooms were lovely and clean. Yes its dark and unorthodox, but you can tweak the lights to get enough to read by if you want, and anyway this is Paris, you want to eat and sight-see, not read. We had 3 meals in the hotel, there was some repetition in the menu but enough variety, and the quality was great, the wine/champagne divine. The bus stop just outside means easy access to everything you could want. I was unlucky to sprain my ankle on an uneven pavement, and found the staff very helpful, and the closeness of a bus really useful so I could still get about.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2013

If you are a student, in a band, or generally looking for style over substance then this is the hotel for you. Though actually, I think it is fairer to describe this 'hotel' as a restaurant with rooms, as the terrible service levels and lack of room service, which is reminded to you at every turn by mostly indifferent and surly staff reflects.

When I pre-booked this hotel for my partner's birthday weekend the initial service was very good. They kindly offered to write 'Happy Birthday' in french on the mirror in our room and I pre-paid for a bottle of (not inexpensive) wine to greet us upon arrival in an ice bucket to begin our celebrations. I was delighted to see these had all been organised upon arrival, but then slightly upset to find they had over-looked providing us with a bottle opener to open the wine! Oh well, easily rectified I thought.....

So, I called downstairs to ask for a bottle opener to be advised by a staff member they do not do room service and I would need to speak to the bar! I explained about pre booking the wine, in the hope they would happily then pop one up to us, but to no avail. I then became rather irritated and duly put my shoes back on and went downstairs to speak to reception in person, only to be advised the same thing. I then spoke to three different people in the bar, who all seemed very unwilling to give me a bottle opener as "we don't do room service". I then asked to speak to the bar manager. To describe the manageress' demeanour as indifferent is an understatement. I explained how I couldn't believe that no-one could simply apologise to me for the oversight and give me a bottle opener. Eventually she gave me one I could use in the room and after me explaining to her that as first impressions of a hotel go, this was very poor and by now I was rather angry about the way I had been spoken to by her staff, then and only then, out of 5 members of staff I had spoken to about my hunt for a bottle opener, I received a vague apology.

So, to the rest of our experience.

The rooms are so dark, that even with all the lights on it is rather hard to see into your bag, into the safe, or to apply your make up. The rooms are very cool in design, and again I am sure a lot of guests will be so amused and distracted by this, that they will fail to realise the impractical nature of the rather small rooms and tiny bathrooms (when you sit on the toilet it is impossible to bend your arm backwards to reach the toilet paper which is right next to you.) Also I should note that the fact there are zero products in the bathroom, not even soap to keep your hands sanitised, I find very poor. At hotels at half of this price there is always at least a soap on offer.

On the positives; the apple TVs with free movies in most languages are easy to use and a nice touch. The pizzas in the hotel are amazing and the wine list is good too. The breakfast isn't bad, and occasionally there were some very helpful staff on the reception. But this was not consistent. The rooms are very clean also.

I think if you want a party hotel, which is not too expensive and not too central, and you do not expect great service then this hotel is the one for you. But if you do wish to receive good service and a brighter, more practical room then I would spend a little more money and stay elsewhere.

FYI I have travelled to Paris several times and I understand rooms can be small and Parisians are possibly not known for their amazing service levels. My review takes this into consideration.

Room Tip: Pay the money to be up higher as less noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I had horrible food poisoning when we arrived here, so the main thing I remember is the wonderful bed and nice movie selection. If you have to be sick when traveling, it better be in a nice place! Everything was clean and made sense, and once I felt better I discovered the delicious pizza downstairs.
The location is slightly out of the way, so if you are looking for a central location, this may not be for you.

Room Tip: as high up as possible and to the back so as not to hear the bar area
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I literally just returned yesterday from a five night stay at Mama Shelter. I was in Paris on business (I'm in the fashion industry), and several friends had sung the praises of the hotel in the past. In fact, last year, I went to have dinner at the restaurant and saw the room of my friend. So, for this trip, I went outside the box (literally) and tried Mama Shelter as opposed to my usual hotel near Republique.

The place certainly is a fun and interesting hotel. But, I dare say it's not right for someone on business. Let me explain...

Contrary to many of the past reviews, I found the staff to be charming and absolutely wonderful. Everyone, from check in to cleaning staff to the pizza kitchen servers were awesome! Everyone speaks English and I was greeted almost every time when walking in or out of the lobby.

I paid for a luxe double room and found it small, even for Paris standards. The black walls and concrete walls make it appear smaller. The staff did a great job at honoring my request to be on a high floor and away from the street, so thanks for that. There was hardly room around the bed, and with no closet, my suitcase sat on the floor the entire week. There are so many damn lamps in the room, it got to be an annoying chore each night before bed. Lights in the bed headboard, lights beside the bed, plastic industrial lights on the desk and in the "closet." I never figured out what some of the switches controlled.

Now to my complaint. With so many silly lamps, there was absolutely NO power sources in the room for cell phones or computers. I found ONE free outlet near the front door's mini bar / sink area. I had to run a cord from under the bed up to the desk area for my computer. Also, with the walls being concrete, there were no power outlets there either. So the small desk was at the foot of the bed and had me facing it. Such a strange layout. While tiny (you can't use the bathroom with the door open), the shower was good and had excellent water pressure. I also loved the Kiehl's products supplied.

I found the Apple monitor / TV strange, but interesting. There are many TV channels, but only 2 English-speaking ones and they're news. 95% of the "new release" movies aren't new at all, but whatever...some people won't care. Also, the free adult entertainment is certainly an interesting novelty not found at many places. Liked the bed, HATED the pillows. They were like little sacks of feathers. My head went straight to the bed. Might as well had no pillows.

Here's the conclusion: For an interesting experience, great people watching, and plenty of quirk and whimsy (wait 'til you see the "do not disturb" signs at each room), I think it's a great place. Even though the 20th is "up and coming," it didn't feel unsafe or anything. There's just not a lot around the hotel, and every trip on the Metro required a 12-15 minute walk from the hotel to the station, no matter which line you choose. So, you have to keep that in mind for every outing.

I probably wouldn't stay there again on business, but would maybe consider it for leisure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street and towards back of hotel. The noise from the restaurant and bar...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank jmfisher
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I've held off reviewing this place since our visit in October 2012 for a couple of reasons, mainly not being able to find time, and secondly not wanting to give away the best kept secret in Paris!
Having been a long term acolyte of Philippe Starck's design sensibility I'd wanted to find an excuse (if one were needed) to come back to Paris since hearing about this repurposed multi storey carpark in the 20th Arondissement falling into his hands back in 2008.

If you've stayed at the Faena, a considerably more expensive establishment in Buenos Aires also designed by Starck then you'll have some notion of what to expect, subdued lighting, woody fragrances and lavish fabrics alongside industrial materials like concrete and steel, all of which are in evidence here, albeit to a lesser extent. As soon as you enter you feel relaxed and welcomed, there is a communal area with iMacs and free wifi should you wish to fritter your time in Paris away online but the ace up the sleeve of mama shelter is without doubt it's restaurant.

We stayed on Halloween night so there was a fancy dress theme but I got the distinct impression that it was business as usual for the diners who would have come along as Al Capone or Greta Garbo on any given night of the week. The atmosphere was lively yet warm and the food was just delicious. We really couldn't fault it, infact after a 10 year hiatus since my last visit to Paris we're going back again in the spring. The fact mama shelter is in the 20th arondissement probably keeps the cost down but with the excellent Parisian Metro system it's really not an issue.

The rooms are small but well equipped and comfortable and there's a good selection of free movies on the in house entertainment system, delivered via the iMacs in each room to keep the night owls catered for.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Just loved this place it had a certain vibe to it where only the coolest people hang out in the wonderful bar/restaurant be aware cocktails are pricey but that's Paris for you!! A short walk will get you to the subway so you can enjoy the rest of what Paris had to offer .
I would defiantly stay here again without a doubt but be aware it's not right in the centre of Paris but that's not really a problem.

• Stayed: February 2012