“Charming place with a small number of nice rooms/studios. Excellent location near Gare de Lyon”
Review of Maison Zen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Maison Zen
Ranked #54 of 165 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Peaceful place. Wonderful friendly owners. Many amenities in the rooms. 5 - 10 minutes walk from Gare de Lyon. Its not a full service hotel, so don't expect a staffed desk 24x7, but the owners were always ready to provide help and answer questions, and you can call them from the room phone - they live in the building too. They also gave us many good restaurant recommendations. (If you love good french breads/pastry, walk to the near-by Ble Sucre!)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank aristo777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sweden
Reviewed 16 May 2011

This really is a gem, and I am so glad I stayed at Maison Zen. I will list the good things first, and there are many many, so jump to the end if you want to read just the two things I did not like.
First: The location! A few blocks from the Seine, a few blocks from the Marais, a few blocks from Gare de Lyon, from the Bastille, from Marché Aligre. A bus stop a few meters away, with direct service to the Eiffel Tower, Gare St Lazare and easy access to any other part of Paris.
The house sits on a quiet courtyard, has a lovely garden, in a safe neighborhood, with all the services one could possibly need on the same block or on the next block. A guide de Michelin-rated restaurant on the corner, a lovely canal side bistro one block away, with a rose garden complete with boule-players and picknick-ers.

Then: The apartments! I stayed in no 6, a smartly decked out room, with a good bathroom (even has a bathtub), kitchenette with fridge, micro, toaster, kettle, plenty of plates, cups, glasses and pans, as well as two hotplates, four seats at the bar-table, complimentary tea and they even supply salt and pepper for the one who prefers to cook at home. The TV has 200 something channels, in french, and there is free wifi and a lap top for rent, should you need one. And yes, there is a hairdryer in the bathroom.

Also: It is very clean, and very fresh, and very quiet. The bedlinen and bath towels smelled nice, and worked well. The finish was so fresh it looked like it had been decorated the day before I checked in, it is practial, neat and pretty.

The only two things I can find where I would suggest improvements are the beds and the lack of fire/smoke detectors. When you have kitchens there is always the risk of an accidental fire, and smoke detectors would have helped me sleep better. But then the bed was so narrow I kept falling out of it, so perhaps sleeping better had been bad :)
I did have the option of moving the beds together, the room had two beds, but I couldn´t be bothered. So it wasn´t such a big problem, and if these are my only complaints, you get an idea of how good the standard of this acommodation is!

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and shaded.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Eaze
Kaua'i, HI
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Aloha from Kaua'i!
I was very excited to be making my first trip to Europe, and to the place I'd dreamed about all my life - Paris. It is a very long trip from here in Hawai'i to Paris, but once we finally got there - the very high expectations that I'd had about the place and the people were in actuality - even higher - the places and people were even more wonderful than I could have imagined!
We took the train from CDG to Gare de Lyon and then simply walked to the Maison Zen - bear in mind this was our very first trip to Europe and Paris - it was easy for us to do and I'm sure it would be for others - as long as you don't overpack.
Maison Zen was wonderful, in a "neighborhood" that didn't feel at all "touristy" and closeby many metro stations-- which since it was very cold and wintry, we used many times rather than walking. The flat we stayed in - #4 was beautiful, lovely bed, amazing views of the paris rooftops surrounding Maison Zen and Madame Eanjou was lovely and always helpful if we needed her. I love the whole ambiance of the place - quiet, peaceful, and the opposite of a big touristy hotel. You truly have your own little flat in Paris when you stay here. We loved every minute that we stayed, and while they were working in the stairwell area and outside while we were there - the workmen were always friendly with a "bonjour Madame" when I went by them. We never noticed any noise factors except for the sounds of classical cello being practiced by our neighbor - which leant even more charm to the whole experience.
We are returning to Paris Fall 2011 - and definitely plan to stay at Maison Zen again - I loved every minute we were there and I felt it was the perfect location for us. It isn't a hotel where people are at your beck and call every minute - but if you are independant and enjoy going out and getting a fresh baguette down the street every morning for
petit-dejeuner and the Mono Prix down the street for basic things - plus the wonderful Bastille Market for fresh veggies and everything else - this is truly your own little piece of heaven in Paris!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank koloagirl
los angeles
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I just got back from my first Paris trip, and finding about this gem of an apt was the best decision I made.
While on the same trip (a little over two weeks), I stayed at a chain hotel (Mercure) in opera, which was not my choice, but it was so...mediocre. Over-priced, small rooms, just all-around not a great bang for the buck.
On the other hand, Maison Zen was paradise-I had my own space, (much bigger than the hotel for less than half the rate (the hotel was 185 euros/night!!! vs Zen being 80/night per person).
Sure, you will have to clean up after yourself (quel horreur!) and there's no free breakfast...but the marche Bastille (farmer's market) is literally a 10 minute walk away...fresh ingredients to last you a week for much cheaper than a restaurant plat du jour.
The proprietor of studio #4, Madame Eanjo, is a very kind and accomodating host and will be there to answer your questions (she even lent me tape and printed out my boarding pass for me).
To sum up, there's internet, it's 5 minutes to Gare de Lyon, a huge central train station connecting you to metro and TGV (high speed trains aka great location), a bath tub/shower and tv, and a spacious bed. The only thing I'd say was the pillows were a bit uncomfortable for my taste but again, that's my taste. There's also a laundromat nearby supposedly but I chose to wash things in the sink and hang dry them on the line provided on the tub.
There is a kitchenette (minus oven), fridge and microwave, utensils, pots, pans, guide books (!) and even tea and coffee! Now how's that for hospitality?
Oh, and a meditation room.
Your slice of peace in Paris.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank ohhlalacestchic
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I have stayed here twice. Maison Zen is a good place to stay if you are very independent. It offers no hands-on service, as it is a meditation center and not a hotel. The location is excellent. Be prepared to take care of yourself for your stay. Madame Perl is a busy teacher, and the lovely housekeeper Theresa speaks no English.

I have noticed on both occasions -- and I have stayed in different rooms on different floors -- the walls are paper thin -- and I mean *paper* -- I can hear someone in the adjoining room cough, yawn, zipper their baggage, etc. so bring high-quality ear plugs or sleeping tablets. Even the television is programmed to only a whisper of a volume -- you have to be right next to it to hear it, so as not to disturb someone in the next room. The last time I stayed, there was construction on the other side of the wall (not part of Maison Zen) so it was impossible sleep late or to nap during the day when I needed a tourist break! (Not that there is anything MZ could do about this, but you may want to ask if there is any current construction.)

The place is only blocks from Bastille or Gare de Lyon but there are no tourists here, so you are really in a neighborhood environment. My first visit I took Metro everywhere -- there are many metro lines within blocks, but the 2nd visit I took the buses and saw much more of Paris than when I was constantly underground. 2 bus lines actually pass in front of MZ, and many others are a block or 2 away.

I would give MZ 4 stars instead of 3, but for the very thin walls and the lack of any kind of convenient hotel/B&B type of service. I am only "not recommending" because most folks I know need some kind of guidance when in a foreign city, and this is not the place you will get it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank Maddietravel
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We stayed here for our honeymoon for 1 week. Very well located near Bastille. Easy walking distance to trains, shops etc. We stayed in 1 bedroom apartment which was very small but beautifully presented and very comfortable. Owners were delightful. Provided a very tranquil setting, relaxing and we felt very secure.
Unfortunately we had few issues with flights being cancelled due to strikes but the owners were wonderful organising us another night with them. So many small things make this such a pleasant place to stay. No shoes on inside, free international phone call (this come in very handy) well equipped kitchen.
We know many people who have stayed here and will recommend to many more!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 803claire
Australia
Reviewed 27 September 2010

A really great apartment in a central position to all transport, shopping and attractions. Very modern, well equipted, and quiet, looking into an internal courtyard. The top units are the best for a breeze and to avoid noise from above. A little hot in summer, so ask about an air-conditioning unit. I have a map if your interested on whats around it if your interested. We will be going back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple