“Beautiful Apartment”
Review of Maison Zen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Maison Zen
Ranked #60 of 193 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 21 September 2010

After reading many reviews about Masion Zen we felt very lucky that they had an apartment available - only because there had been a last moment cancellation.

Masion Zen is a very short walk (less than 5 mins.) for the Gare de Lyon Metro station. As others have mentioned you first go through a big wooden door, then a green gate into a court yard. We were greeted by Madame Grazyna Perl who was on her way to the meditation room. The cleaning lady let us in and Ms Pearl came to check all was ok half an hour later.

We stayed in 'Large Studio #8' This one is on the ground floor and has been recently decorated in lovely relaxing tones. The large kitchen is modern with stainless steel everything. Including a dishwasher, fridge freezer and full stove.

The main room has a table and two comfy chairs plus a nice sofa to lounge on. There is also a flat screen tv and dvd player. This room also has two large windows that let a lot of light in and overlook the peaceful courtyard.

There is a wall in the center of the room that separates the bedroom area. Two twins pushed together - they are so comfortable we both fell asleep as soon as we laid down (also could have been from all the walking we had been doing).

The bathroom is bright and modern with all new fixtures including a washing machine.

The Masion Zen was the perfect retreat to come home to after and busy day in Paris. The river is a short stroll away and perfect to view the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame from the bridge at night.

If you are looking for a place that has someone at your beck and call, planning trips etc. then this is not the place for you or if you want to party hard. They are very hands off, which we like, however available if needed.

Maison Zen is a peaceful haven and we would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dachshudn

Reviewed 31 August 2010

The best accomadation I have experienced in Paris for a solo traveller. The studio has cooking facilities with a full bathroom. Quiet, but walk out to the street where there is three RER or Metro stations within short walking distance. The studio overlooked a quite garden. The owners were there to meet me on arrival. Since this is not a hotel, hotel services are not provided. Everything was in the studio that is needed for a comfortable stay. Diane

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank DianeF08
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I write this review after just having spent 5 days at Maison Zen. I found it through word of mouth at home in Brisbane, and after communicating with Eanjo booked it several months ago. My teenage daughter and I have been travelling through Europe for 5 weeks with stays at 3 star type hotels. I have not been inspired to write about any of them but I am about Maison Zen. It is a tranquil location,perfectly located near Place de Bastille in a 200 year old apartment block (which used to be a school once). As other reviewers say, you walk off a street through large wooden doors into a courtyard, and again through another gate into the Zen Garden which leads to the Apartments.

When I arrived it was late at night but the gates were open for us and we were greeted and looked after well.

There are two owners Mme Perl and Mme Eanjo Kim who own certain apartments each (see website). I have dealt only with Eanjo and her husband Stephan. I have found them to be the most lovely and helpful people in any accomodation place I have stayed in the last 5 weeks. They have helped not only with explaining accomodation facilities but with tourist information, shopping places and a range of Paris queries we have had. Eanjo speaks English well and Stephan has lived in Australia so we have had some lovely chats.

I did not read the other reviews before I came, now that I have I wonder whether the negative experiences below are due to different apartments. Ours was the twin room (Studio 6), which I shared with my teenager. I found it very quite. There is some construction going on in the next street, but it doesn't penetrate too much and that's life in a city! There are the full European style shutters on the windows which provide blackout and noise block (v.g. for the teenager!). To have a kitchenette with a fridge, KETTLE, microwave, coffee plunger and 2 element stove has been bliss. We have not had even a kettle in other European hotels that were all more expensive than Maison Zen.

There is an Internet phone in the room so calling landlines back to Australia is free (this is a huge benefit to us being away from family for some time). There is also free satellite TV and Internet access (WiFi and cable) available in the room. The satellite TV has 4 English speaking channels which is terrific after not having any English news or media contact in other hotels.The beds are very comfy and pillows are better than the hotels we have stayed at. Furnishing is IKEA - practical and modern. The apartments have recently been painted and I am wondering if the plumbing problems mentioned in ah earlier review have been fixed because ours is just fine.

The Zen Mediation groups meet in a room off the garden and as per the website's words, guests are most welcomed to join in if they wish to. I find this a very warm and generous environment.

Overall, for the price and style of accomodation I can only highly recommend Maison Zen. I would definately return. Thank you to Eanjo and Stephan for making our visit to Paris so comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ChrisRapror
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Overall, a good place to stay in Paris if you like independence. Good location, clean, value for money. Not a traditional hotel or B&B so if you want lots of interaction and information from your hosts, it’s possibly not for you.
Eanjo replied to all my emails quickly and efficiently, and I booked in by sending a cheque (which she gave back when we paid). We had a few days where we weren’t sure if we would have to cancel due to the volcano ash problem, and Eanjo replied to my yes-no emails reassuringly.
Before we left, I emailed and asked Eanjo to provide instructions on how to find it and she did effectively – Maison Zen is in a courtyard behind buildings fronting onto rue de Lyon. To find it, you need to open the large door on Rue Gare de Lyon (if you’re arriving before about 6pm during weekdays, just press the silver button at the top, or after 6pm and on the weekend, ask for the code to get in) then it’s behind the green gate in the courtyard.
Eanjo turned up a few minutes after we arrived (four hours after we landed, so she must have been keeping an eye out for us), and showed us the room. We were booked in room 5 but she moved us to room 4, which is apparently a little bigger.
Access to the room was via two flights of a steep curving staircase so I wouldn’t recommend this for anyone with mobility issues.
The room was basically as the website shows – enough room for two, although I can’t imagine trying to fit another mattress in as the website suggests. It had modern decoration and was nicely finished. The bed was comfortable (queen sized) although the pillows were flat (like most I found). It was warm, especially when the sun hit the windows, which also made it quite cheerful. The kitchen was small but quite adequate, with a fridge. The bathroom was clean, no sign of mould and everything worked fine. The only niggle was that we had a shower/bath and the shower rose was set at about waist height, apparently with the presumption that you sit in the bath to shower (I much prefer a ‘normal’ shower, especially when the weather is cold). The bath was quite deep so it’s a bit of a step to get into it. A hairdryer and liquid soap were provided. There was a glass shelf although not much else for toiletries. There was good cupboard space in the main room, with English Paris guides and an Australian power converter which was a nice touch. The free Wifi was excellent, and the double glazed windows sealed well.
I didn’t find the room very quiet as there were renovations going on in the room below, with jackhammering and so on during the day (not too much opportunity for an afternoon nanna nap!) The stairwell also magnified any conversation people had as they used it. The walls were pretty thin and while our neighbours weren’t party animals, it was pretty easy to hear what they were saying when they were talking loudly. Having said all of this, I’m a light sleeper and didn’t find it impacted my nights too much.
There was not much sign of meditation, perhaps because of the jackhammering.
The location is good, it’s not really in ‘an area’ but it’s only a 10 min walk to Gare de Lyon, Gare d’Austerlitz and to the Bastille and Marais area. The advantage to this is that it’s probably quieter and cheaper than somewhere like Marais. I found Gare de Lyon to be the closest metro station, although Ledru-Rollin and Bastille are also easily accessible.
Even though it seems a bit out of the way, there are many local restaurants – we tried Chez Leon on rue de Lyon, down towards Gare de Lyon. This is a Moroccan restaurant and even though it caters for tourists, the food is good and plentiful.
As far as interaction, we didn’t see Eanjo except to sort out a mix-up of messages (she thought we were another Australian couple who had turned up on the same day), and to pay the bill, although she was friendly and fine to talk to on those occasions and made sure we had her phone number in case of any questions. We did occasionally see a lady I presumed was Mme Perl on our way out and in, and she was polite and a little chatty. I found this during most of our stays in France – mostly hosts left you to your own devices, it was only when we stayed with an English couple on a farm that we exchanged more than the usual pleasantries.
I would definitely consider staying here again – the only reasons I would try anywhere else would be the annoying shower and the fact that I quite liked the Marais area and would like to see what that is like to stay in.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelMMMM
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I loved this place. It was centrally located, clean, quiet and very private. My room was spotless and the kitchen had everything you would need to cook for yourself. The room was spacious and the bed was quite comfy (I stayed in studio 1). From the moment I checked in, I felt like a local. The host was very relaxed and kind. She had this level of trust about her that you just don't find with other hotel/BnB owners.

If you're looking for a party place, this is certainly not it. It's very quiet, but it's a Zen Centre, so that is to be expected (you don't have to be Buddhist, or meditate to stay here, however). Just be courteous and leave your shoes at the door.

If you are a dependent person and need lots of attention and/or advice, this place is probably not for you. The hostess was very 'hands off' and there is no central place to gather information or ask questions (altho' you can ring her if you have questions). A perfect place for someone who wants to explore the city, who is self-sufficient and wants to feel like a local straight away. I loved it and will definitely return when I come back to Paris!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank sjmegy
Reviewed 18 January 2010

These apartments are rated well for not being a 'hotel', however this turned out to be a frustrating experience and we would have much prefered a 'traditional' hotel. When we arrived it was dark and we were unable to enter the complex (behind a secure gate). We had to wait for a passer by on the street to enter and let us in after her. We then were unsure where to go to find the actual apartments due to lack of signage. On arrival we couldn't find anyone to check us in and we spoke to another guest who had the same problem when they arrived. After about 10 mins, someone came and led us to our room. The actual room was very nice and in quite a good location (not in the 'too touristy' district but still a lot of good resturants around). The downside was the constant noise! Whenever we saw the owner of the establishment or the people that worked there we felt unwelcome and there was a very 'aloof' vibe. This led us to feel too uncomfortable to ask for travel tips etc. Overall, this was a very average experience and for 'zen' accommodation we felt unwelcome.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BlinkyBillQueensland
Reviewed 27 December 2009

Maison Zen is located in a wonderful area, situated within walking distance of The Bastille and the Gare du Leon. Very convenient to the Seine, the open air market, and sundry markets. There's a lovely patisserie right down the block, where my friend and I splurged on cafe creme ($6 per cup) because the coffee maker in our room was defective. This is where my review becomes negative. While the dogs Babette and Anouk were beautiful and wonderful, and the space itself was very aesthetically appealing, the lack of basic courtesy and amenities was not. We had to move from room #2, which we liked very much, because the heat and hot water became unavailable the day after we arrived. The new room, while spacious, had mold in the bathroom and lacked a workable coffee maker. Only one burner worked on the stovetop. There was no reading lamp and by day #5 we had to ask the maid Teresa (very nice woman) to offer us clean towels, toilet paper, and to tidy up the room. The owner of Maison Zen, Madame Perl was extremely unaccommodating and seemed hostile that we were disrupting her life and apparently, a silent retreat, during our stay. She could barely deign to answer questions I had about finding a local boulangerie, and was visibly annoyed that I asked for two receipts upon payment....one for myself and one for my friend. In fact, I'm the one who had to inquire about payment! When my friend checked out she slipped her payment under Madame Perl's door! If you're going to enter into the hospitality industry it's necessary to afford basic customer service.....a TV that works (if there is one in the room), appliances that work...lamps, coffee makers, burners, etc., maid service at some point within a week, and a pleasant staff member available to answer questions and concerns. My friend and I had some foreshadowing of this sort of negligence before we arrived, but we chose to maintain our reservation given the stellar reviews here. Our international draft checks were sent to Madame Perl, only to be returned because she would not receive payment through that means. It wasn't till after this debacle that she clarified on her website how to make a deposit. Our emails went unanswered by her until money was involved and our checks had to be cancelled. Again, a bad sign we should have seriously heeded. Other than the mishaps at Maison Zen, Paris was Paris...beautiful and vibrant :-)

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends