“Large/spacious and hardly anything negative to say”

Residence Cosy's Cadet
Ranked #774 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
“Large/spacious and hardly anything negative to say”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Female friend trip

Pros:
-large
-clean
-everything worked
-bed was comfy
-liked location
-front desk was helpful

Cons:
-Elevator was broken
-plain breakfast (but that's all over Paris if you're from the US)
-Felt like I had to watch my back walking around at night

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

First appearances are not good, off the street and untidy entrance area, the reception and hallways also look very tired. Once you get in the rooms very modern, spacious and very adequate. Plenty of room.

Breakfast is very limited even for Paris standards, not much there and same each day.

the lift was out of order for most of the time I was there and no assistance was provided to handle suitcases up the stairs.

I agree with others, its over rated on Trip Advisor

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CocoTampa123
ihiberman
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Upon arrival we were greeted by the young lady at the desk who was very businesslike, but not particularly welcoming. We were provided an early check in on the floor above the lobby. This was good since the elevator was not working and at least we did not have to carry our bags to the 5th floor as others were required to do. According to the manager, the elevator cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced. Thus, the challenge for those who arrive and expect this long term issue will be resolved. We observed at least one booking refuse to take the room due to cleanliness issues and the elevator problem. They left and looked for another property elsewhere.

Since the phones were not working the day we arrived the manager assisted me in several matters making use of her cell phone. The manager is outgoing and warm in her interactions with the clients and is the biggest asset of the hotel. However, I saw her only once during our four day stay.

The reviews are correct regarding the square footage of the rooms/apartments. This is exceptional for Paris and in a great location. However, the issue with noise from other units above or adjacent is a significant liability to the quality of sleep. Personally, it’s a poor trade off. The cleanliness of the rooms is a problem and needs to be addressed. The refrigerator had standing water in it and smelled since it was closed with the water inside. The hood on the range and vent in the bathroom had not been cleaned in a very long time. The microwave had food particles on all of the interior surfaces and there was a burning small when you tried to use the device. Pots showed wear and caution should be exercised since the cooking surface was badly scratched.

While the beds were comfortable, the pillows were a joke. It took four pillows to provide the comfort of just one quality pillow and this again fed into a sleep quality issue. On the last night we lost lighting in one of the rooms and when the gentleman at the desk was approached about the issue, he indicated that he had to knowledge or skill to assist in the matter and we struggled in the dark since it was late in the evening.

We paid prime dollar/Euro for this accommodation at $1400 for the stay. I expect a great deal more than what we received. Not much bang for the buck (Euro) at this property. Certainly not a Four Star Property as some have attributed to Hot Wire.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Ira H
Omer, Israel
Reviewed 20 September 2013

To start with the good things the rooms are nice and large (by Paris standards) and well appointed. Personnel is friendly and somewhat helpful with services they are acquainted with.

Cleaning and room/studio maintenance services are poor (with relatively new studios we have seen ceiling and walls peeling off, showers were usable but past their prime), some wire threads where visible under the beds, breakfast table cleaning was poor. There was no breakfast room and a small part of the lobby was taken by three breakfast tables - and we have seen people giving up breakfast just to avoid waiting for a table.
The breakfast itself although advertised as buffet breakfast was in fact a self-service continental breakfast (barely warm and stale coffee and bread, butter, croissants etc.).

The elevator was out of order the whole period with a promised repair imminent and we did cary our luggage up when arriving and down when departing by ourselves on stairs built as an escape path in emergencies and not for regular use.

Cosy's Residence was definitely not worth it's money and is highly overrated by Trip Advisor.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank julo972
zoran
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Good:

1) For the price of around $200 a night, you get an unbelievable big family room, for Paris: 1 Double Bed Area, 2 Single Bed Area, a Dinning Room area, and a fully equipped kitchen (yep, a kitchen, not a kitchenette). 4 people can stay here very comfortably, and even cook dinner! (big money saver)
2) Location
10 minutes walk from Gare de Nord, 50 meters from the Metro, and Rue de Cadet is a very nice little street, with a friendly feeling.

The bad:
1) Well, it's not really an hotel. It's more like a serviced apartment. So don't expect the royal treatment. Breakfast is croissant and coffee in a big thermos (and if it get's cold, they will re-heat it in a microwave), and during the 3 nights I stayed there, the elevator was out of service. Another guest told me it was like that for almost a week. Another nice touch is that if you use the kitchenware, they won't clean it for you. So when you check out, they will actually ask you if you cleaned the plates.....
2) Void of any Parisian personality: so if you are going to Paris, and what to enjoy the whole deal, like staying in a place with local athmosphere, this is definitively not where to look for that.

All in all, if I go again with the family, I will definitively stay there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in September. Like other reviewers have said this place has paper thine walls and floors, we heard every step of the people above us. This is a stay of 2 halves on arrival we where greeted by the very friendly and helpful Anne Rose. The elevator was broken and our room was to be on the third floor one look at my husband and the luggage, Anne Rose gave us the room on the ground floor which we appreciated.

Pos: the location is good with every thing you might need at the door step
The room was very large by Paris standards and was clean.

Con: noisy
Bed uncomfortable.

Each morning we had breakfast which was just outside our door. The young woman that was on the reception and looking after the clearing of the tables was missing most of the time each day when we where there, she seemed to be sitting in the store room, so bowls and tables had to be waited for. The reason I'm only giving 2 stars is because of her, on the last morning I came out to have breakfast and there was no clean tables available so she told me I had to come back after ten minutes which I did, still no clean tables so she told me I could get clean bowls and dishes from the room we where staying in and use them which I did. I didn't sit at a table as there was still no clean one and I do know what she had been doing, which was nothing. I took the bowl to my room and ate there. On check out rudely she informed me she would charge me 25 euros if I had left dirty dishes, I went back to my room and washed the dish, I wouldn't have had a dirty dish in my room if she had been doing her job instead of hiding out in the store room. Would I return again no.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brenda M
Oyster Bay Cove
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The hotel is located in a great part of Paris with cafe's right outside the hotel. The metro is close by, pharmacies and taxi's are never far. The staff at the hotel is very nice and there is a nice little breakfast every morning. (not free). The hotel itself is kind of old and dirty looking when you walk in. The elevator was broken the entire time we were here and from what I read on trip advisor has been broken for about 3 weeks. After traveling with small kids, the last thing you want to do when you arrive is carry your suitcases up 3 flights of stairs with nobody to help you. This really stunk- When I asked about when they were going to fix it they kind of smile and put their hands up. The other issue I have with this hotel is the noise. There was a baby on the floor above us and we heard their every move. The baby didn't sleep and kept us up all night. It constantly sounds like people are moving furniture which is quite annoying when you are exhausted. The rooms themselves are lovely although there are no walls separating the kids and adults. It is clean and modern with very comfortable beds. It does have a dvd player but no english speaking channels so if you have kids make sure to bring some dvd's from home. There are so many great places to stay in Paris. I don't think we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Highest floor possible if elevators are working! Very noisy