“So-so food but fun experience”

Jean Yves of Chef Jean-Yves' Table
Ranked #9 of 20,174 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$85 - US$329
Neighbourhood: 11th Arr. - Popincourt
Neighbourhood: 11th Arr. - Popincourt
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

It’s a fun experience eating at Jean’s home at his kitchen table, however we were underwhelmed by the food given the price point. Despite being underwhelmed, the food is well plated and consisted of French and southeast Asian flavors. Jean’s home is exquisite and the dining room is beautiful. Both Jean and the sous-chef are pleasant, do an excellent job of presentation, and are attentive servers.

Be aware the experience will be impacted by who else happens to join for the evening. We had 9 people total (max seating appears to be about 10), several guests seemed to have “pre-partied” and were a bit obnoxious. Eating with strangers is of course part of the charm but carries risks. Our table was overwhelmingly from the USA, which was not surprising given Jean’s ranking on TripAdvisor.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 3 September 2018

This was one of the best meals I've ever had. Chef Jean-Yves has created a warm, welcoming space. While the food is upscale and definitely fine dining, he isn't pretentious. I can't even pick a single highlight of the meal because everything was so good. We also loved getting to talk with the other guests at the dinner. We will definitely come back again the next time we are in Paris.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank amalance
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

It is a rare opportunity to join a Chef for a 4 course meal while having each dish explained and being able to ask questions. If I find myself in Paris again I will definitely be joining Chef Jean Yves for another culinary adventure. Also, his dog is cute.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Shane W
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Chef Jean is an amazing host everything about this experience was beyond amazing! It’s a must if you are looking for something different!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank amalbin77
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

I did a dinner here on 13 July. I was in Paris for a few days and it had also just been my birthday.

First, the venue was easy to find. Apparently they had recently moved and some guests got the wrong address but I had no issues. Easy walk from the nearest metro stop.

Then the guests....literally from all over the globe and such an interesting bunch too.

Jean Yves and his assistant ensured that we had the attention we needed and wine glasses were also topped up quite often. The food was sublime although the duck wasn't my favorite. The wines were nice. Loved the dessert!!!

With each course comes a story and some intrigue. I've seen reviews where people didn't like this but I loved it. It was not over the top or intrusive.

The venue was in a cellar of sorts with few fans. It was hot and became hotter as the wine flowed. Some air con would be helpful but it wasn't unbearable.

Overall it was a lovely evening and I would do it again. Yes it's pricey but it's a once in a lifetime event. Would love to take hubby next time we are in Paris.

Date of visit: July 2018