“Cheap and cheerless, only go if you can get it very cheap”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel d'Alsace

Hotel d'Alsace
Ranked #1,705 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerless, only go if you can get it very cheap”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Good location aside, not a great hotel. It's in desperate need of a lick of paint and some tlc. Also, the stairs are severe so don't bother if you have any mobility problems. On the plus side., it's two minutes walk from the train station and there are plenty cafes nearby

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Ross T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Turkish first
Paris
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

good location. uRoom was poor but expected that. I couldn't book for children and had to argue for 5 year old not to be charged as for adult. But I never experienced breakfast with bread only and beeing charged 40euro extra for that. My bill from 180 came to over 250. Better hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Stuttgart, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I think staying in a modern prison would have been cleaner (and, quite frankly, safer).
The only positive thing I can say about this "hotel" is that it is close to Gare de l'Est station. LITERALLY everything else about it made me want to run as far away as I possibly could.
The area was totally sketchy; the "lobby" was a tiny, cramped space with a "dining room" (that MIGHT seat 10 people maximum) and stairs (NO ELEVATOR in this six-story building) branching off to either side, and it REEKED of bleach like they were doing laundry in the basement; the staircase was dark, rickety, and dirty; we were placed on the fourth floor, where the floor in the hallway was (I WISH I were joking) collapsing and supported with what sounded like wooden supports underneath it.
The room itself was stained from floor to ceiling with God only knows what; there was a mystery stain on the douvet under the thin blanket on the bed; the sliding bathroom door wouldn't close entirely and was paper-thin; we only received two bath towels when we had three people staying in the room, and one of them was ripped; and Internet connection is only available in the dining room. I always wear earplugs when sleeping in hotels, so I can't speak from experience, but the other two people I was traveling with said the noise from the street was horrible and neither of them got very much sleep.
We were booked for four nights, but obviously had to check out the next day due to the horrible conditions of this hotel. As we were checking out, another guest had to COME DOWN THE STAIRS to ask the guy at the front desk to TURN THE HOT WATER ON in his room!
I just can't understand how this place is still allowed to operate, and I strongly suspect that the positive reviews this hotel has received were written by its own employees. Do yourself a huge favor: AVOID THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ari L
Pula, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

shabby hotel and rooms on the fifth floor without ascensore.Personale Terrible.
But I would like that the hotel is not in itself I've seen worse, but perhaps their clever method of payment.
A month before leaving 8/23/2012 I have taken (locked for two days from 08.21.2012) the deposit of 85euro, which had to be returned by a maximum of 4 weeks after the balance in full on the first day of stay, it's been almost two months and they continue to say that the problem is in my bank when my girlfriend works at the bank and assured me that they took the money and should therefore charging me again and there 'is nothing to sbloccare.Ovviamente between email (15 with easybook.it that acts as a mediator between the other because they do not respond by email) and phone calls in France at my own expense (with the classic response to call the next day that there 'was the manager) I lost both time and money.
The last response was that the hotel will return the money WHEN POSSIBLE!
So at least I hope this is read by many so as not to be deceived!

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chaty P
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

As a cheap budget hotel you can't expect too much. Alsace is right next to a major train and metro station which makes it super easy to get around to all the touristy destinations of Paris. The neighborhood itself, however, is quite scary. I was scared quite a few times walking around here after dark. The rooms are clean enough and the maids come daily (and didn't steal anything yay!), but be aware that it is a long tiring walk straight up a curling staircase to get to any rooms. There is no elevator. Be prepared to be sweaty and panting by the time you reach your room. The rooms are small but comfortable. The bathroom is ok, but the sink doesn't drain at all, or it takes at least 10 hours to drain. A little annoying and gross when all the dirty water starts to pile up, but by the time you wake up in the morning it's mostly drained. The staff were very courteous and kind even though I didn't speak French. Wifi was free and easy to sign up, breakfast was 5€ so I never tried it. Overall, if you have very little money but want to see Paris, hotel D'Alsace is a decent place to stay. But if you want to stay safe and be completely surrounded by the glamour of Paris day and night and not see its dirty side, stay in the west end.

• Stayed November 2012
Bangalore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

We reached hotel by 10.00pm and the receiptionist wouldn't open the door! He just said "Go away, we are full"! This, when we had confirmed booking. We managed to talk him out and get into the Hotel only to find out that our room was in 4th Floor and the only way to go to the room is through a small spiral staircase. We had to carry our luggage all the 4 floors. The towels were not fresh and the room was dingy! The shower cubicle was dangling and it felt like it would collapse any second - completely rusted.

I will not stay in this hotel for a million dollars!

Room Tip: Don't make the mistake of staying in this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

This hotel is very difficult to find especially arriving at night...it's right next to a sex shop bringing lots of sketchy people. If you have any sort of luggage stay away...there is no elevator and the stairs are very narrow and difficult to walk up. To make matters worst they have an incompetent staff because right when we were about to fall asleep someone started unlocking our door!!! Luckily we were able to shoo the guy away...but obviously the staff had given him a key to our room. Good thing we were here to make sure our stuff was safe. Topping it all off the sheets and towels were all stained. We left as soon as we could the next morning with zero sleep. I would not recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple