“Favorite cafe in Paris”

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Les Halles
Reviewed 2 June 2014

La Taverne De L'Arbre is hidden in a residential area in 1. On St Honore', this unassuming cafe is on a corner and has retractable awnings, sliding windows and heat lamps. Very accommodating for wary travelers and unknown weather conditions.

Attentive yet relaxed service with helpful recommendations. The steak and au gratin potatoes were really good! The tartare, bread, frites and bernaise sauce were very good too. Our waiter, Maxim, recommended a nice bottle of red wine for around 25 Euros.

If I ever return to Paris, I will definitely return to this local gem.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was a surprise to both of us who ordered it. Boudin noir and apple pulverised together and all shoved into a glass jar with a lid. We have eaten at this restaurant many times (admittedly it has been a while, since an undercooked Souris d'Agneau). We thought we would give it a try again, but came in for a shock when presented with this poor imprisoned, mashed sausage. What were they thinking of?

1  Thank M M
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've been to this restaurant several times, and it's usually better than it was today. Today my lunch was terrible, a veal stew (blanquette de veau) that was disgustingly loaded with fat. I had to literally cut off 2/3 of the meat and leave it alongside the plate. It was essentially inedible. Normally, this place is not great, but it's really not bad--certainly not like today. I don't know what happened.

2  Thank George817
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Ive eaten here twice and both times meals were great, services was attentive and bill was very reasonable. Others have posted reviews of the oignon soup, which is truly wonderful. i also had the brandade (fish mashed with potatoes) which was the daily special. It came with a great salad, which had a lovely dressing.

I can really recommend this place.

1  Thank Maxtravel50
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stopped for lunch on a cold day, only a few doors down from our vacation apartment. What a find. The soups a l'oignon was fantastic. I offered to share with my husband but after tasting it wished it was all mine. He had the special of the day, pork in a sweet sauce with a sweet potato soufflé - it was so good he had them fix him a plate to go so he could eat it again this week. The plate was well dressed and the portion was acceptable. I ordered the beef burger which had a wonderful sauce. They are busy so the service is quick and no nonsense but we had no trouble getting their attention when we needed something. We will be visiting them as often as possible.