“Reasonable but thin walls” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alyss Saphir Cambronne Eiffel

Alyss Saphir Cambronne Eiffel
Ranked #799 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Surrey
“Reasonable but thin walls”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

We booked this for a long weekend and I'll admit it was about the cheapest I could find in the general area of the Eiffel Tower etc so I wasn't expecting too much and when we're visiting a city we're not too bothered about the room as we've come to see the city, not the hotel, although in this case this hotel does have one secret that makes up for its minor transgressions, but you'll have to read to the end to find out what!

We didn't pay the extra 12 Euros each for a continental breakfast (not big breakfast eaters anyway so some fruit from the local supermarket sufficed) so we had minimum interaction with the staff beyond checking in, returning and receiving the room card repeatedly and checking out and there were no problems encountered with both day & night staff performing these simple tasks without issue.

The hotel lost power for a couple of hours early one evening (or our room did anyway) but as we were just getting ready for dinner it wasn't a problem.

There were four negatives (I now that sounds a lot but bear with me), two of which to be fair the hotel couldn't really help. Firstly, the two they could do something about; the lack of a kettle etc in the room, I think it's the first hotel room we've been in where the facility wasn't available (or a minibar) and the fact that all 25+ channels on the tv were in French (and yes, what do I expect in Paris, but one or two international channels wouldn't be amiss surely); now the things slightly outside of their control; the bath was tiny (I'm used to baths being a tad small for me as I'm a little over 6ft but this was ridiculous and finally, and perhaps the worst for us was the paper thin walls (ceiling/floor?), let's just say we could hear one individual snoring both nights so loudly I assumed he was in the wardrobe and I'm sure any noises my wife and I made were equally audible to neighbouring rooms (so please accept my apologies) ;-)

Anyway, when's all said and done, this is a perfectly reasonable hotel for the money (as long as you get a deal) and you accept the drawbacks of thin walls etc...Oh, and the secret that I mentioned that makes you willing to forgive this hotel practically anything....it's right next door to possibly one of the best restaurants in Paris, La Veraison. I'll be doing a review of that as well but (spoiler alert) this restaurant did not disappoint at all and in future it will be a regular dining spot whenever we return to Paris.

Room Tip: Room 202 was to the rear and had no street noise (although the streets weren't busy anyway) but...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

The best part of this place was the location! So close to the train it was amazing! Eiffel tower was a solid 15 minutes walk (or 2 train stations). The rooms were fine. Nothing amazing. Cute small balcony and pleasant bed. The bathroom wasn't that clean and the hairdrier kept overheating in 2 minutes (half way through drying my hair). The Tv had trouble with some channels and the safe cost money to use.

The worst part of this hotel, which makes me say I will not be returning is that of the staff. The lady with the shoulder length brunette hair was lovely. She was so much help. Thats about where it ends. There a rule you only get one room card and you must leave it with the reception when leaving every day. That's annoying but fine. One morning the lady stopped me as the had locked the front door and told me I had to hand the key in in a condescending way. Little did she know or ask that there were still people in my room. She looked unimpressed and open the door. The worst was the bald male who was on at night. My boyfriend and I went to get pizza so we dropped our key off, got pizza and decided to eat back in our room. As we collected our key, the guy asked if we were flying out of Paris tomorrow. I said we were flying out the day after. He then pested and insisted that we book the shuttle there and then. As we were still working out what we were doing I said we would book tomorrow. He then told us it would be booked out (cause that would happen overnight?!) and we need to book now. I tried to walk away and he continued to tell me I need to book now. I told him I didn't know the time of our flight and then he became condescending saying ' don't you have the times in your room?' which is ridiculous cause he wouldn't even let us go to the room. We ended up leaving since we were hungry and our dinner was getting cold. I was and am seriously angry with him and am writing an official complaint to the hotel.

DO NOT RECOMMEND. Pay a little more and get treated with some respect.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank K S
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

We found the hotel on the internet and selected it because of it's location and value.

The hotel was very clean and well kept, the staff were very polite and helpful at all times.
The Alyss is close to the Metro and RER and should you want to walk most of the main tourist attractions are within 30 mins.

We woud recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Nowra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

My and my younger sister stayed at the hotel just short of a week and found it to be a perfect hotel us. The breakfast was delicious and the staff were nice and accommodating. The hotel does not have a lift lifting our bags up and down the stairs proved to be a challenge. The staff were able to speak English fairly well and were able to assist us with our sight seeing. The room was of adequate size, the only thing which we struggled with was the shower, it was difficult to understand and had poor water presure. It was very close to the Cambronne Metro stop and helpful facilities such as Laundry services, post office, pharmacy and cafe/retaurants. We would definately stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

Had a 2 night stay for my wife's birthday. The hotel is in a great location, 15 minute walk to Eiffel Tower. The neighbourhood is very nice with good restaurants and metro links. On the downside the service at hotel is very poor, the plug sockets didn't work and lady at reception generally very rude.

• Stayed November 2012