“Hotel Alyss Saphir Cambronne Eiffel - The Good, The Bad and The UGLY”

Alyss Saphir Cambronne Eiffel
Ranked #827 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Hotel Alyss Saphir Cambronne Eiffel

The Good: Multilingual staff. The woman who worked the front desk during the morning hours was very helpful, welcoming and nice.

The Bad: The negative points made by other reviewers on Hotels.com, Trip Advisor, et al, regarding the hotel's condition and location are accurate. The hotel's location is "sketchy" and, at least, from a female perspective, we did not feel safe there. But, read on to my next comments under, "The Ugly."

The UGLY: The two men who worked "reception" during the afternoon and evening, were
incredibly rude and we (Two college girls studying abroad) felt their actions were threatening,
militant and creepy. They were so RUDE.

I booked a single room via Hotels.com. I booked a roll-away bed at what I understood to be an additional cost when I booked the room for myself and a friend. As I read through my reservation now, it very clearly states I booked a roll-away bed. I did not know until one of the Hotel Alyss men berated us that the room they placed us in would not allow for a roll-away bed. The men became increasingly rude (They were never friendly in the first place) and essentially accused us of impropriety, as though we were trying to sneak a second person into the room. Why would I book a roll-away bed for one person ? We had nothing to hide as we checked in at the front desk and obtained two keys. We understand there are cultural differences and people behave in ways that may be interpreted differently from culture to culture - But in any country - These guys would have been regarded as "RUDE." In America - this wouldn't have even been an issue. So yes - we won't be returning to Paris in the future. You're welcome.

At any rate, the men treated us like criminals and gave us some major "stink eye" each time we walked past reception. They demanded we surrender our electronic key cards to them each time we left the hotel. This really creeped us out and we found it quite frightening, intimidating and militant. We didn't see them demand this of anyone else.

They also gouged us for more money and demanded we pay additional for the second person - even though we received no roll-away bed - which as I said, I had booked. So - they charged us more and they treated us with with contempt.

Since our room only came with one set of bath towels, I asked for a second set of bath-towels. They gave us two washcloths; begrudgingly. It was not very nice having to dry my entire body with a wash cloth. I have never been treated so poorly by anyone at a hotel anywhere; and I have traveled a good deal in America and England. I recognize that things are different in France and Europe but I think common courtesy is not unreasonable to expect wherever one travels. Neither of us felt like a "guest" - that's for certain.

This place was HORRIBLE. P.S. I wrote a letter to management and to corporate regarding our experiences. I haven't received a response from either. I guess the rudeness starts at the top. No "star" rating for this horror hotel - ZERO stars. I had to give it "one star" to post the review - That's one star too many.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank DLaurenPool
There are newer reviews for Alyss Saphir Cambronne Eiffel

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here on a business trip for 3 nights during July 2014.

The noise from the street made it almost impossible to sleep as the lack of air-con I was forced to sleep with the windows open. Constant traffic and road-works starting early in the morning.

The room itself was clean and comfortable.

The wifi was incredibly unstable. The network would disappear randomly for sometimes 20 minutes at a time and during my 3 day stay I had to re-log on possibly 50 times without exaggeration. The front desk could do nothing of course to remedy this.

Room Tip: request a room facing the courtyard!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here when my apartment in Paris for the summer didn't work out. I stayed for 3 nights; the room was comfortable, the bathroom was fine (small, but shower and everything worked great). Wifi worked great also. Staff was less than cheery, but there is one woman who is super sympa and helped me during my check out. I'd recommend to a friend

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Can't fault the location for a short stay in Paris. This hotel is about 20 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower and only 5/10 minute walk to the nearest metro which made it easy to visit Paris and all it has to offer for the first time. The hotel staff were helpful and nice and helped with any queries we had and spoke english for our convenience. Ideal for a short stay if you are just looking for a place to rest your head at night. Not far to walk to a great little patisserie which we grabbed breakfast from before heading out to sightsee and not long to shops.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is really really good, my friend and I enjoyed our stay. The hosts were very nice and helpful and the rooms were always very clean. The breakfast was rich. However, the walls between the rooms are very thin and the elevator is placed in the middle of each 2 floors.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here with my daughter for her graduation. The staff were lovely and welcoming and very professional. The room was a good size with an en-suite and whilst there were a couple of things that could have been better with regard to maintenance overall it was clean, tidy and comfortable. A short walk to shops and bars and the metro and if you feel really energetic it is probably a 20 minute walk to the Champs Elysee (where we enjoyed the xmas market). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Room smells like a cheap hotel with perfume -- a cluttered smell mixture of perfume and smoke. Shower doesn't work (hose has a big hole). Ignored run down place. The location is good and the back rooms are quiet for a big city.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo