“School trip!”

Ranked #34 of 170 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Manchester, United Kingdom
“School trip!”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Good location, very close to Glacière metro stop. Visited with a school party of fifty 13 year olds. Plus points were: great shower; coach parking outside; good packed lunch for final day. The only real negative was that we were all spread around a bit ie interspersed with students from other schools and on different floors. My room was on the third floor and there were lots of primary school kids who were adorable but went to bed very early and I felt I had to quieten down my thirteen year olds by 10pm - really tricky. I also had a phone call from reception at 12.30am, asking if I could go and ask one of the rooms from my school to be quiet. It transpired that it was the room next door who were noisy! Completely different school! Quel dommage! If I visited again, I would ask for an exclusive corridor!! Food was fine!

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Marion R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We are the teachers in charge of the group of students that were lodged in the FIAP the previous week. We were a group of 238 students this year and we have been coming with similar groups of students for almost 30 years, always staying for one week in FIAP Jean Monet. I must say that we HAVE NEVER HAD any problem with the service, security, cleaning or staff with the Fiap. We consider this place completely reliable and that is the reason why we have been booking this place for, as I said before, more than 30 years.
We completely disagree with the appreciations of the former client, and we strongly recommend this place if you need to stay in Paris: we have always been welcomed there and enjoyed the place very much. We have already booked the place for next year, for again a group of 250 students.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
14 Thank Ravetllat P

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The FIAP Jean Monnet is basic and tired - if it were a person from the outside I'd prescribe it medication. Inside is a similar story, it's not exactly cutting edge. It is, at the end of the day, accomodation for school trips - if you're a honey-mooning couple I urge you to look elsewhere.
I'll start by mentioning some of the good features of the hotel. The walls are made of a very sound proof material - you shouldn't have much trouble sleeping if there aren't 14 year old Brazilians knocking on your door at 10pm. The staff are friendly and willing to help, as you'd expect - but it's harder than you think to find this kind of staff nowadays. Lastly, the location is very good, with just a 20 minute metro trip to the Notre Dam area and about 25-30 to the eiffel tower. The local station - Glaciere - is about 5 minutes walk away.
The drawbacks of this hotel, nevertheless, are equally bountiful. Above all, the food. On the first night, my plate was adorned with a steak so undercooked that a skilled vet could have saved it. The rest of my 3 nights were equally unimpressive, given Paris' reputation as a culinary icon, with bits of undercooked chicken here and there with pork 50% rind. Desserts, I will say, were excellent, despite being largely pre-made. The rooms, albeit they are spacious , equipped with many plugs and allow lots of light in from a somewhat-skyline view, are reminiscent of a Moroccan prison, with a fan in the toilet with what looked like a host of undiscovered bacterial life clinging to it. No soap provided in the bathroom, which is something you might find yourself needing when you see for yourself. If you're a student, however, you'll be unphased, but there's of course a breed or three of travelers who will find the FJM as agreeable as red wine with fish. The local 'offy' for those South Londeners visiting, named "A deux pas", is well stocked and quite cheap compared to the rest of Parisian food outlets, but whatever you do don't work there.
When departing, don't leave a small amount of time to get to Gare du Nord - the passport safe doesn't empty itself in a hurry.
NB.
Floor 8.
If you find yourself coming back from the town at 1am, stepping in the lift, seeing the array of floors to choose from, I dare you to press 8. Step out, walk up and down the corridor, and go back in the lift. If you weren't before, you'll be a man after. That floor is some terrifying stuff. See for yourself.

Room Tip: Try and choose a high floor for a nice view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ollie T
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Love the hotel staff great very helpful. Came with a large party of 18 year olds. Food good bar great clean well organised nice area. Parking for coaches on the Main Street nearby and a good drop off point out front. The whole experience was excellent. Lots to all floors and very helpful lobby with lots of information and basics for sale. Returning next year.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at FIAP for 2 nights, since I was a participant at one seminar which was held there. I was quite surprised when I got there because it looks way better than on pictures that I saw here. It's located in a nice neighbourhood, few minutes from the metro station and close to everything really. Our room was completely redecorated recently and it looked really nice, everything was clean and tidy. I'm not sure if all of the rooms were renewed, but maybe you can ask at the reception. Breakfast and dinner were also very decent, it's not a 5 star hotel level, but there is nothing to complain about.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Came here a few years ago with my school's music ensembles, as we were "touring" Paris. No one's instruments were stolen, which is obviously very good. Rooms are basic. I stayed in a 2 bed room, which had an en-suite, but we couldn't get it to work, so chose to use the communal shower and bathroom facilities on the corridor. These were always clean, as were the rooms. I would say that the windows don't open very wide, which is a disadvantage.

Food was what you'd expect from a cheap youth hostel. Breakfast was continental - cereal, fruit, yoghurts and pastries, but the evening meal was not good at all. One night, it was spag bol, but there was no vegetarian sauce option, so all the vegetarians just had plain pasta! This wasn't too big an issue though, as we only ate here for two nights.

We struggled to get wi-fi to work, but all staff were very friendly and helpful. I'd stay here again, but some people may be put off by the large number of school parties staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have been taking pupils from Northern ireland and England to this hotel for over 26 years and we have all loved it. The staff are very welcoming and polite, the rooms are warm with all necessary facilities and the hotel itself is situated in a peaceful area of Paris. The food is great in the restaurant with lots of chocie for pupils and adults. We have used the dvd room, conference room for meetings, the disco and the hotel cafe. I would strongly recommend the Fiap Jean Monnet at any time of the year for school trips and woudl never go anywhere else.

Mrs Inns, Trip Co-ordinator, Tandragee Junior High School,NI, Minster College, Herefordshire. Newtownabbey Community High School and Rathcoole High School, NI

Room Tip: There are lifts to all floors so it is personal choice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business