“Very Pleasantly Surprised!”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #1,696 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Excellent little hotel for a short stay. Room was recently refurbished and spotlessly clean, as was the rest of the hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. The only drawback was that the breakfast room is very small and sometimes would have to wait for a table. Otherwise great location too.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Never stay here. Worst experience of my life. Awful service. Locked out at night and have to wait outside on the road at least 5-10 minutes for someone to move a BED/TRASHCAN out of the door's way and unlock it. Mold ALL over ceilings. Smells absolutely terrible (like mold and alcohol). Downgraded and refused to refund money. End of the story= NEVER STAY HERE. I wouldn't even pay 1 euro to stay here. Location isn't even that good. So out of the way of the tourist areas. Had to take taxi and metro everywhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2013

i stayed in this hotel with my girlfriend on a quick trip through paris. the location was great for us. we could walk easily to nice parks and restaurants. we also found some amazing restaurants and music clubs nearby. however, we discovered bedbugs IN THE BED! it was awful! we informed management immediately and they moved us to another room. bed bugs there too! up at 3AM disgusted with a train to catch in 8 hours makes for terrible sleep which never came. we couldn't be more glad to get out of there! what was supposed to be a romantic trip to paris ended up being a terrible experience because of this hotel. avoid at all costs! this hotel probably only gets business because there is another Hotel Riviera in Paris. i mistakenly booked this hotel thinking it was the nice one and regret it immensely.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 1337traveler
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in over 30 years of travel. Here's a simple point list:

"Double bed" was two single beds joined together, with separate left and right sheets, with crinkly plastic under sheet. Like an incontinence hospital.
Bed was not made in the next morning. Maid just pulled up the covers
Night staff rude, and demanded payment for our 5 night stay after the second night
Hot water broken. Cold water two nights out of five. Could not have a shower.
The other three nights, shower in bathtub but no bath curtain. Entire bathroom drenched
Toilet seat damaged and missing one hinge
Toilet did not flush. Had to be assisted "manually" Yes, think about it, you do know what I mean.
Sign outside says three stars, sign on door two stars. Actually should be no stars
Bed cover did not appear to have (ever?) been washed. Tacky to the touch
Temp 10 degrees one night outside, but staff refused to turn on central heating

In short, give this a miss.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We got in the hotel at 9pm, got a room in the second floor and it was terrible. The felling in the hotel is just very bad. the bed had a plastic cover under the sheets:) Can you imagine. Made a complaint about the room, and the guy working there told us there is no room available, then we came down with the bags wanting to leave and he magically found a 3 bed room, which you can on photographs. Room was nicer, but when i opened a bathroom there was a horrible smell of cigaretes. At 9pm!! Didnt stay there and went to another hotel at 9pm. Hotel is not refurbished at all. Only 3 rooms which are on hotel website are.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights Aug 2012. I must admit some of the reviews had me worried. However although some things are true, in reality they weren't as bad as they sounded. We were in room 48 a bit of a climb up the stairs but there was a lift. Room was small but very clean. Bed was made every day and clean towels and soap provided every day.Plenty of hot water and powerful shower. There was noise from outside at night but that's to be expected in a city. Doors banging in the hotel were more of a problem but this was down to thoughtless guests not the hotels fault. Bed was very comfortable and I had no trouble sleeping. It is near the Sacre Coeur and Moulin Rouge and Anvers metro is only few minutes walk away. Breakfast consists of orange juice, tinned fruit, apple puree, bread, egg and croissants which seemed to be rationed to one each as you were handed it as you sat down.Although it was served until 10am , the later you got down the less there seemed to be. The staff did their job but weren't over friendly. As I said it was adequate.

Room Tip: Get room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rona s
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I made a booking on booking.com and I have specified a nice room as it was for my hen week end in Paris and I was due to travel with my mother. I do not know if booking website doesnt give you access to the best rooms but we ended un in room 9 which is the most horrible, clostrophobic, dark, unfinished room I have ever been able to see in my whole life, and for a 3 stars hotel, it was quite a dispointement. We went for dinner and when we came back, the night manager had a fight with me as he though we had left with the key but after 1h, he apologies for his behaviour. I nicely complained about the room and he told me there were no other options as they were fully booked.
As I spent the most dreadfull night ever in our room: no air con, absolute bed/matress nightmare, window facing a wall and I was scared to open it as it would face a veranda and I was afraid that someone would intrude in our room.

In the morning, I woke up to find an other room in the neighbourghood. The same night manager offered me an other room, on the 1st floor, room 14 (triple room), and OMG, it was absolutely different!! Awsome mattress, very good beds, plenty of light, windows, good space, good design, no noise at all, lift was working, well, bliss!!! The complete opposite to room 9!

He offered us breakfast but nothing extraordinary. Just the bread was decent, but breakfast was offered complimentary for us as a gesture of apologies for the fight we had the previous night.

So, will I come back? Yes if I get the same room or at least the same standard. Just avoid like HELL rooms 7, 8 and 9 as they are all basement and don't seem to have been refurbished AT ALL!

Room Tip: Dont get room 7, 8 and 9 DO get room 14 (1st floor, facing street but it is a quiete room)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family