“very poor dining”

Price range: US$22 - US$56
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Description: Romantic and fine Italian food in Saint Germain des Pres district. One of the oldest and most beautiful streets of Paris. A XVI century town house serves delicious Italian dishes since 1997. Martino, the owner since day 1, take care of you personally. US graduate, Boston and Louisville resident, loves to explain how dishes are made, the history of recipes, the neighborhood secrets and much more. Since the opening, refined international customers blend with locals. Not a "tourist trap" just an international parisian resident crowd chose La Locanda for the food, the atmosphere and the fun. Reservations are not mandatory but strongly suggested on weekends. A few tables are available for couples outside on the sidewalk. The street is very quiet so you can enjoy a nice evening outside as well. Good music inside. Grappa and limoncello is generally offered and will enable you to stay a few minutes more with our company. See you. Martino
“very poor dining”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is a really bad restaurant and the pasta on three out of four dishes was undercooked and we returned them. The table clothes were dirty and the service indifferent. We needed to ask for plates for entrée when the antipastos was served. We had to leave without eating our mains. The food is overpriced, very ordinary and the worst Italian we have ever eaten. We paid 110 Euro for this.

• Visited June 2014
8 Thank Elenkaw
Martin G, Propriétaire at La Locanda, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hello and firstly thank you very much for your comments that I hope are truthful and honest. I am the owner of La Locanda and I personally run my little and cozy restaurant for over 17 years. THis means that I have had lots of customers over this period (2000 per month with represents more than 400,000 customers). As you and any reader can imagine, you cannot please everyone. Just 1% of unpleased customers mean 40,000 people … Just to make you realize. Of course, our chef could have failed a table or two some busy night. But one thing is sure, my restaurant is the oldest italian restaurant in this part of town and we are doing great. About the cooking of the pasta, I am very severe with my chefs and I request them to serve pasta al dente (limit undercooked). It happens that people ask for overcooked pasta. We do it with pleasure. Could you help me identify your table and tell me which date you were treated with indifference ? I would like to have a talk with my waitress that night. You have asked for plates, perhaps the waiter did not understoodd you wanted to share an antipasti for 4 people !?!? You say that you have paid 110 euro for this … can I ask you what cocktails, wines and other drinks you have ordered ? 110 € for 4 people sounds very cheap to me. Our mean price per person over a 12 month period is around 50/55 € … It sounds like you made a deal !!!

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“forget french cuisine -- eat here”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This authentic trattoria in the heart of the St. Germain-de-Pres district is the perfect antidote to Paris' palate-numbing array of bistros. We walked in very late one night, only to find Guido and his staff delighted to see us and more than ready to keep the kitchen open. And it's a great kitchen, serving a delicious array of traditional Italian pastas and risottos, all made in house and served up by the enthusiastic wait staff with great style and humor. The downstairs seating area is all coves and candlelight, perfect for a romantic getaway, while the upstairs can accommodate larger parties and business meetings. We ate here twice over a one-week stay in Paris, and found our reception the second time even more enthusiastic than the first -- greeted as old friends and engaged in multi-lingual banter. You forget you're in Paris at La Locanda -- which isn't a bad thing.

• Visited June 2014
Basel, Switzerland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My pit stop in St Germain”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The tarte fine aux pommes is a delight. I've been coming here regularly for years. Guido is very engaging, a fantastic organiser and discrete.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Gaazelle
Denver, Colorado
“hidden gem”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

our hotel recommended this place and it was delightful. The calamari was perfectly cooked and the lasagna was the special and was really good. The dessert, a chocolate tart, was silky and flavorful (highly recommend it). Just wonderfully well prepared food and the service was very good.

Visited April 2014
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Stumbled into”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our first choice wasn't going to open for half an hour and it was raining so we opted for La Locanda and are glad we did. Very charming, intimate restaurant. We both agreed that the Kir Royale was the best we ever had. I had the alfredo which was great, very light pasta and delicate parm/butter/cream ratiio. My husband's gnocchi was light and the fresh tomato sauce was great. Service was friendly and unobtrusive. Definite find.

• Visited May 2014