“Wow. This is classy, charming, modern Paris.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Apostrophe Hotel

Apostrophe Hotel
Ranked #197 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Wow. This is classy, charming, modern Paris.”
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I am extremely picky when it comes to hotels in Paris. I love France and don't get to go often enough, so I want my experience to be top notch without spending $400 on a room. For this trip, I researched home exchanges, renting an apartment, and hundreds of hotels. I couldn't be happier that I landed on Apostrophe. I chose it because it's part of the Tablet Hotel collection and I'm usually very satisfied with their hotel look, feel and service. It was also an excellent price at 179 Euros a night. I arrived early, was given a place to leave my bags till the room was ready, and then discovered I'd been upgraded when I returned to check in. The room was small, but it was perfect for one person, and if you get along with the person you're traveling with, would be fine as well. The decor was neat: clouds and Parisian rooftops painted on the walls, a big window looking out onto the street, gorgeous tiles in the bathroom. But really, it was more than just the pleasant atmosphere: the bed was comfortable, the sheets and bedding were super clean, and the gorgeous bathtub worked perfectly, cycling through green and blue LED lights while massaging with bubble jets.

The staff downstairs was also really kind; helpful with directions and very friendly which can be a relief in Paris.

The only critique I have is that there was an area of tiles next to the bathtub which had a really bad grout job (strange to mention it, but it stood out in an otherwise superb hotel) and I would fix that if I were management.

Otherwise, magnifique! Je reviens sans doute.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My husband and I, went to Paris for the first time for one month now, and we had decided to choose a small and cozy hotel. We were absolutely satisfied by the quality of the hotel, the rooms are incredibly romantic and charming. The personnel is considerate and the breakfast is very good and original. The whole hotel is incredible, the location too, next to the 'Parc du Luxembourg', a perfect place to picnic if it is sunny. I would recommend this wonderful hotel to everyone, especially the couples.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank craminusaupouvoir
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Fantastic staff, very warm and friendly. We always felt welcome, and they could always answer our questions. The rooms are wonderful; full of style and comfort. The shower must be pointed out probably as Paris' best shower!!! A plus for sound isolation - we slept like babies all the four nights. The cleanliness of the room was perfect, not a spot to see. Location is fantastic - right between the train station and the metro line 4. Also close to a shopping centre - Galeries La Fayette. Paris is amazing and Apostrophe hotel made our stay beyond perfect.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank norway_cathy
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 24 June 2010

The people who work at the hotel are very friendly and very professional.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 24 June 2010

L'Apostrophe Hotel is a wonderful little gem in a great location. Especially if you want a hotel where every guest is given individualized attention as a guest and if you appreciate a room with flair (not to be confused with size) you will enjoy this hotel. My room was very small, but no matter -- I fell asleep with the Eiffel tower peeking out over the rooftops and the massage shower was a treat. Also their continental breakfast is on par with neighborhood establishments and 6Euros is exceptionally reasonable to dine in. Merci et a la prochaine!

1 Thank jadorelesvoyages_11
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I stayed at Apostrophe for 10 days, since I am a solo traveler i stayed in smallest room, most amazing shower!! They bring your breakfast to your room and they paid so much attention to detail they even knew what breads to bring me and what jams I liked, I didn't even have to ask! Very clean and comfy bed!!! Lighting effects were really interesting, very modern and designer boutique like hotel. Perfect location to Vavin metro stop!!! They do have a wonderful stereo system and flat screen tv also, only negative.......my neighbors during my stay liked the stereo too much and played it way too loud all night long!!!! Owners and staff are WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank CANDORI
Seattle
Reviewed 4 June 2010

====Basic Breakdown====
The hotel is tiny (the rooms are especially intimate), but very cool in design. The staff is excellent. The internet was frustrating (and immediate tech support non-existent). The neighborhood is convenient. Overall, I would come back, whether for solo travel or with a romantic partner. If work was my main purpose, the internet accessibility was too inconsistent.
====In-Depth====
I had to book a work trip to Europe a couple weeks in advance, and decided to treat myself to a weekend in Paris. Due to the last-minute nature in the middle of Paris' high season, however, all the top 10 hotels (leisure and business) on the TripAdviser list were booked (except for the Ritz, which had rooms for $1400 a night). I found this hotel in a NYTimes article about artsy hotels in Paris.

The Apostrophe is an artsy boutique hotel in a quiet neighborhood (6th arrondissement) that is steps from the raucous and the touristy. Next to Luxembourg Park, close to the lively 5th arrondissement (bars and bistros for college and 20-somethings), as well as 15-30 minutes (walking) from the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, Notre Dame, and chichi boutique shopping on Rue Grenelle, this hotel was perfect for my weekend in Paris.

Every room is custom-designed and belongs in a photo-filled article about artsy hotels. It is definitely a quirky boutique experience, however. I stayed in a "Balneo" room that had a comfortable large bed, a desk and tv 2 feet from the foot of the bed, and a large bathtub 5 feet to the side of the bed, all in one room - so don't go with a friend that you're not comfortable being naked in front of. The toilet was in a separate and tiny room, and I often used it with the door left open; it gave new meaning to the term Water Closet. I had to be careful when taking a bath, as the water tended to splash everywhere if the tub was too full or not full enough. I also closed the curtains so the neighbors across the street could not see my relaxing bath moment. While definitely tight, it worked for me; I do not like large hotel rooms, and I stay in small New York hotels quite a bit.

The service was excellent. Laurent, who was at the desk all day every day I was there, was incredibly helpful and courteous. He answered my two pre-stay emails immediately (given the time difference), secured a reservation at an excellent restaurant with a few days' notice (I chose it from a top50 list, and the couple next to me at the restaurant had planned their trip and reservation months in advance. this restaurant - among others - had not even replied to my requests made through their online booking systems), and even helped me make a speedy departure as I rushed back from shopping and took a taxi to the airport.
Jean-Pierre, who did a nightshift, even helped me find a restaurant reservation when I wandered back to the hotel at 9:15pm, calling the Cinq, and Pierre Gagnaire among others, to help me find a 10:15 pm reservation. He could have secured me a reservation for the following evening at one of the unavailable restaurants, but I was leaving that afternoon.

My only qualm was the internet, which worked the first afternoon when I arrived (quick and stable vpn access), but would not work that night (after 11 pm). Worked again the following morning, then stopped working both the second night, through til I left the following afternoon. The first night I called downstairs, and the nightshift help (not Jean-Pierre), was not able to offer any real technical assistance, although he offered me a loaner laptop, which could not log onto the internet either.
Laurent checked on every aspect of my stay, and arranged a taxi to pick me up at 2pm when I was leaving. I went shopping, and ended up rushing back a little late. He called me at 5 minutes after, to make sure I was okay, then met me at the front door 2 minutes later as I arrived, and placed all my baggage into the taxi.

If I came back to Paris for work, I would not stay at the hotel due to the internet. But it was almost-perfect for my leisure weekend by myself, and I would stay here with my boyfriend, who also would not mind the tiny, tiny space; the internet was a huge hang-up, but I think I've become a little idiot-dependent on last-minute google maps before I go wandering.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
PoemHotel, General Manager at Apostrophe Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Thank you for your kind comment on our hotel. I am awfully sorry for the difficulties you have had with our Internet connection (free of charge). Actually we have found the origin of the problem 24 hours after your departure and fixed it immediatly.